speedycrap
speedycrap
  • Threads: 46
May 31st, 2015 at 8:39:26 AM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

This was booked about a month ago. I'm not going to say when I'm going though 8-)

Do you mind sharing which site?? PM is fine. Thanks.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
May 31st, 2015 at 8:39:33 AM permalink
Quote: coilman

Not on SPIRIT I hope....28 inch seat pitch ...told my buddy not to book them but he did....after he got back they said never again..pay the extra $100 or so for the two of them and do DELTA or one of the others

FLYING mid week is almost AlWAYS the cheapest . Vacation for the weekend usually mean Thursday to Monday rates are higher

Join the airlines mailing list ( if they have them stateside like West Jet and Air Canada in Canada) they send me seat sale notices all the time

I've flown Spirit a few times. I don't mind it. I don't need a lot of room.
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
May 31st, 2015 at 8:45:01 AM permalink
Quote: coilman

Not on SPIRIT I hope....28 inch seat pitch ...told my buddy not to book them but he did....after he got back they said never again..pay the extra $100 or so for the two of them and do DELTA or one of the others

FLYING mid week is almost AlWAYS the cheapest . Vacation for the weekend usually mean Thursday to Monday rates are higher

Join the airlines mailing list ( if they have them stateside like West Jet and Air Canada in Canada) they send me seat sale notices all the time

I have booked my last couple trips to Philly and back on Spirit. The base price for my summer trip was $79 each way. We paid $40 extra each way for Spirit's version of first class (first 6 rows which have 2 seats across instead of 3). Of course Spirit prices do not include bags (even carry-ons), so you have to allow extra for that.
kewlj
kewlj
May 31st, 2015 at 8:54:56 AM permalink
Here's a strange thing about Spirit. They charge extra for everything, I get that. But when you book, they have what they call their 'base price'. Next, you have seat selection, and every seat has a minimum charge of $10 and up. So a seat is not part of that 'base price'. How can a seat not be part of the price. That's just goofy.

On my last Spirit flight, the male flight attendant said, "for those of you waiting for the complimentary beverages, we are spirit....NOTHING is complimentary". He then said something along the lines that if you press the service button, it may take them a while to respond, as Spirit was voted worse service last year in one of the consumer magazines. Lol. I appreciated the sense of humor anyway. I am actually surprised they don't charge if you press the service button. I wonder if they have considered pay toilets. Lol.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
May 31st, 2015 at 9:04:22 AM permalink
Quote: kewlj

Here's a strange thing about Spirit. They charge extra for everything, I get that. But when you book, they have what they call their 'base price'. Next, you have seat selection, and every seat has a minimum charge of $10 and up. So a seat is not part of that 'base price'. How can a seat not be part of the price. That's just goofy.

On my last Spirit flight, the male flight attendant said, "for those of you waiting for the complimentary beverages, we are spirit....NOTHING is complimentary". He then said something along the lines that if you press the service button, it may take them a while to respond, as Spirit was voted worse service last year in one of the consumer magazines. Lol. I appreciated the sense of humor anyway. I am actually surprised they don't charge if you press the service button. I wonder if they have considered pay toilets. Lol.

Nothing is "complimentary" on other carriers either. That's why you pay much extra on those types of flights. Spirit is like a bus that just gets you from point A to B with nothing in between.

And speaking of mine, I'll most likely be sleeping the whole way due to its time.
kewlj
kewlj
May 31st, 2015 at 9:13:44 AM permalink

And speaking of mine, I'll most likely be sleeping the whole way due to its time.

When I fly west to east, I like to fly overnight. Board in Vegas at about 11pm, arrive in Philly about 6:30 am (4.5 flight + 3 hours time difference). Sleep on the plane and you don't feel like you are losing a whole day like you do if you fly west to east during daylight hours.

Flying home to vegas (east to west) it doesn't really matter. Because you pick up 3 hours, whatever time of day you fly, it just 'seems' like it is a 2 hour flight, exiting 2 hours after you board.
kewlj
kewlj
May 31st, 2015 at 9:16:57 AM permalink

Nothing is "complimentary" on other carriers either.

Other airlines, you can carry on a bag without a charge and when you book your flight, a seat is part of the booking process, not extra. Lol.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
May 31st, 2015 at 9:25:29 AM permalink

Other airlines, you can carry on a bag without a charge and when you book your flight, a seat is part of the booking process, not extra. Lol.

I'll have just one carry on and I usually prefer a window but I'm not choosy. I'm about getting where I need to go, not luxury. But like I said, at the hour were leaving here, I'll most likely be sleeping anyway.
kewlj
kewlj
May 31st, 2015 at 9:44:17 AM permalink

I'll have just one carry on and I usually prefer a window but I'm not choosy. I'm about getting where I need to go, not luxury. But like I said, at the hour were leaving here, I'll most likely be sleeping anyway.

I too, prefer a window seat. I rarely use the restroom during a flight, so I like to settle in where I am going to be for the next 5 hours.

Luxury: I have evolved a bit in this area. Before I moved to Vegas, when I used to fly, I was about getting there as cheap as I could find. After relocating to Vegas I began to change. Because I really hate the whole travel process, I only fly twice a year, unlike other AP's who are on the road every other week, so I afford myself the luxury of being a little more comfortable (first class or whatever name certain airlines call 2 seats across instead of 3). My partner who travels with me is a bigger guy and can use the extra room, and while I am not a big person, I just like the extra room and have decided that I am worth it. :) I mean up to a point. I will pay an extra 50-100 bucks for that luxury. I am not going to spend an extra $400 like some airlines charge.

I have found the difference in whether those 2 seats across sections are affordable or not goes by what the airline chooses to call it. If they choose to actually call it first class it is usually more expensive and they give you a few little perks, to try to make you feel special and justify the cost. I am not interested in all that. I just want the extra room.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
May 31st, 2015 at 9:51:53 AM permalink

I too, prefer a window seat. I rarely use the restroom during a flight, so I like to settle in where I am going to be for the next 5 hours.

Luxury: I have evolved a bit in this area. Before I moved to Vegas, when I used to fly, I was about getting there as cheap as I could find. After relocating to Vegas I began to change. Because I really hate the whole travel process, I only fly twice a year, unlike other AP's who are on the road every other week, so I afford myself the luxury of being a little more comfortable (first class or whatever name certain airlines call 2 seats across instead of 3). My partner who travels with me is a bigger guy and can use the extra room, and while I am not a big person, I just like the extra room and have decided that I am worth it. :) I mean up to a point. I will pay an extra 50-100 bucks for that luxury. I am not going to spend an extra $400 like some airlines charge.

I have found the difference in whether those 2 seats across sections are affordable or not goes by what the airline chooses to call it. If they choose to actually call it first class it is usually more expensive and they give you a few little perks, to try to make you feel special and justify the cost. I am not interested in all that. I just want the extra room.

I remember my flight to Vegas back in December 2011. It was U.S. Airways from Detroit to Phoenix then a connector from there to Vegas. The first one was about 1/3 full so I could sit anywhere I wanted! :-)

The connector was completely full, mostly Hawaiians I think and was cramped, but short thankfully. Also, that connector had the wrong gate on the ticket and I just made it in time to the correct one.

• Jump to: