speedycrap
speedycrap
  • Threads: 46
May 31st, 2015 at 7:21:58 AM permalink
I am planning a trip to Vegas in either August or September. Staying about 3 weeks. Flying out from Buffalo is about $190 one way. Should I book a round trip or just one way, so I have flexibility? Should I book it now or later? Is September usually cheaper than August? Thanks.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
May 31st, 2015 at 7:28:05 AM permalink
September is usually slightly cheaper than August. Educators can't vacation in September, so demand in Sept is usually slightly lower than demand in Aug. How much do you value flexibility? Two one-ways is likely to be very slightly more expensive than one round-trip ticket. Some of the taxes and fees are done on a flat-fee-per-ticket basis. So you only pay those items once if you buy round-trip fare. But that's a small different - maybe $10 or $20 - so the flexibility could easily be worth it.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
speedycrap
speedycrap
May 31st, 2015 at 7:31:23 AM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

September is usually slightly cheaper than August. Educators can't vacation in September, so demand in Sept is usually slightly lower than demand in Aug. How much do you value flexibility? Two one-ways is likely to be very slightly more expensive than one round-trip ticket. Some of the taxes and fees are done on a flat-fee-per-ticket basis. So you only pay those items once if you buy round-trip fare. But that's a small different - maybe $10 or $20 - so the flexibility could easily be worth it.

Thanks and is last minute leaving Vegas affordable?
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
May 31st, 2015 at 8:19:25 AM permalink
September is generally not cheaper than August. Traditionally, July and August are one of the the cheapest time (along with a couple slow weeks in December) to visit Vegas, due to the heat. People don't want to come when it's 115 degrees. Usually air fairs and hotel costs are a little cheaper during these periods.

As far as last minute booking, that is rarely cheap, unless you have flexibility and are willing to do standby, you might get lucky.

And finally, as a casual observer, who flies back and forth between Vegas and east coast (Phila) twice a year, I have unscientifically noticed that the price of air fares moves along with gasoline prices. I guess Jet fuel is some how related. So if you anticipate gas prices will continue to climb, I would book early, if you think they will drop over the summer, you might want to wait.
speedycrap
speedycrap
May 31st, 2015 at 8:24:11 AM permalink
As far as last minute booking, that is rarely cheap, unless you have flexibility and are willing to do standby, you might get lucky

How do you do standby. i am booking online??
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
May 31st, 2015 at 8:26:41 AM permalink
I really don't know.

I actually think the standby thing doesn't work like it used to because the airlines now overbook most flights.

I would just go to kayak or a similar site that compares multiple airlines and book early if I were you. If you do have flexibility on travel dates, keep in mind that Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Saturdays are generally the less expensive days to fly.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
May 31st, 2015 at 8:28:16 AM permalink
My next flight to Vegas is $237 round trip from Detroit Metro.
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
speedycrap
speedycrap
May 31st, 2015 at 8:35:15 AM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

Are you kidding !!!???? The cheapest I have found so far booking 2-3 months ahead is $400+ flying from Buffalo !!!!! Flying next week out would be $500+.
coilman
coilman
  • Threads: 139
May 31st, 2015 at 8:36:23 AM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

Not on SPIRIT I hope....28 inch seat pitch ...told my buddy not to book them but he did....after he got back they said never again..pay the extra $100 or so for the two of them and do DELTA or one of the others

FLYING mid week is almost AlWAYS the cheapest . Vacation for the weekend usually mean Thursday to Monday rates are higher

Join the airlines mailing list ( if they have them stateside like West Jet and Air Canada in Canada) they send me seat sale notices all the time
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
May 31st, 2015 at 8:37:37 AM permalink
Quote: speedycrap

Are you kidding !!!???? The cheapest I have found so far booking 2-3 months ahead is $400+ flying from Buffalo !!!!! Flying next week out would be $500+.

This was booked about a month ago. I'm not going to say when I'm going though 8-)
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!

• Jump to: