mcallister3200
mcallister3200
Joined: Dec 29, 2013
  • Threads: 17
  • Posts: 3141
January 9th, 2015 at 10:52:25 AM permalink
Quote: Gandler

Requesting ID for cash out is allowed and pretty standard if you are young ( article says he is 28). I don't understand why he just didn't show ID to avoid the shenagagins...

I could be wrong (perhaps a lawyer here can clarify, also NV may be different), but if you refuse to Prove your identity for win it is then subject to forfeiture or at least seizure until ID is confirmed.

People who look under 35 are subject to be IDd by the casino for age security. He should have just done the right thing and shown his ID instead of making a scene. I don't understand what he is trying to prove...

don't think they can get a legal trespass without I.d. it's clearly NOT an age thing. It is allowed to ask for I.d. at the cage the same way I'm allowed to ask you for your I.d. But you'd look at me crazy if a civilian asks. But if the cage asked for it they'd probably be provided with social sec number by 50% or more of patrons.
Gandler
Gandler
Joined: Jan 27, 2014
  • Threads: 33
  • Posts: 1589
January 9th, 2015 at 10:57:58 AM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

don't think they can get a legal trespass without I.d. it's clearly NOT an age thing. It is allowed to ask for I.d. at the cage the same way I'm allowed to ask you for your I.d. But you'd look at me crazy if a civilian asks. But if the cage asked for it they'd probably be provided with social sec number by 50% or more of patrons.



How is that a fair analogy?

The cage is not the same as a Radom person asking for your id.

They can and sometimes have to (as per either law or casino policy) check id of certain customers. Young customers in some states is routine.

He is 28 and in some states falls into the required to check category, so it clearly is an age thing. I get my Id checked almost every time I cash out of, its a cashier I don't know. I never fuss or even think about it, it's their job, and a standard thing to ensure integrity of casino operations.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
Joined: Mar 11, 2010
  • Threads: 80
  • Posts: 7237
January 9th, 2015 at 10:58:00 AM permalink
Doesn't the casino use ID at cashout to help track daily totals for federal reporting requirements? When I played a lot back in MN, they always asked for ID (or a players card) to track the daily total cashout and ensure their compliance for CTR purposes.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
Romes
Romes
Joined: Jul 22, 2014
  • Threads: 28
  • Posts: 5552
January 9th, 2015 at 11:02:35 AM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

Doesn't the casino use ID at cashout to help track daily totals for federal reporting requirements? When I played a lot back in MN, they always asked for ID (or a players card) to track the daily total cashout and ensure their compliance for CTR purposes.


In this case it was fairly evident that they were ID'ing him to get his information so they could attempt to trespass him. Anything under $10,000 isn't subject to a CTR, and thus doesn't require an ID/information. I think that's casino policy, but not law, that they ask for your ID though. If you're an 80 year old whom walks in, plays, refused to get a players card, they couldn't stop you from cashing out. You have a contract when you bet with them and they accepted your action. You then have the right to cash your chips out.

Quote: Gandler

its pretty standard, and in some states even required to demand ID for people under 35 for certain transactions.

I am young (younger than him) and I always get IDd on cash out, again it's normal, and likely required, if not by that state law then by casino policy...


I'm about the same age, and when I shave I can easily pull off 21-22. I've NEVER once been ID'd (at the cage) in the TONS of casino's I've played in for the past 8 years all around the country.

They have a right to ID you when you come to the gaming floor, and again at the table. They can't hold your money when they ask for ID at the cage because it is exactly that, your money. To my semi-educated guess I would say they have to cash his chips out, especially from the example above. I'm not 100% sure on how this interacts with customers whom look 'younger than 35' though. IF such a law/rule existed that they could do that, I would still believe they could not KEEP your chips though. That's theft.
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
Gandler
Gandler
Joined: Jan 27, 2014
  • Threads: 33
  • Posts: 1589
January 9th, 2015 at 11:09:37 AM permalink
Quote: Romes

I'm about the same age, and when I shave I can easily pull off 21-22. I've NEVER once been ID'd in the TONS of casino's I've played in for the past 8 years all around the country.

They have a right to ID you when you come to the gaming floor, and again at the table. They can't hold your money when they ask for ID at the cage because it is exactly that, your money. To my semi-educated guess I would say they have the right not to cash the chips if you don't show ID, but I don't believe it's within their bounds at all to KEEP them from you. That's theft.



I sometimes get ID on the floor (usually not anymore since I use a players card everywhere now, but used to). But I almost always get IDd at the cashier.

But I am pretty sure they can. I know there are a few NV lawyers on here so I am sure one will clarify how that state works as far as holding chips to wait for ID...

But also remember all we know is what Miller (the card counter) claims. the casino is not commenting until after the lawsuit ends. We only know one side. And, he clearly does not like CET.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
Joined: Dec 29, 2013
  • Threads: 17
  • Posts: 3141
January 9th, 2015 at 11:09:42 AM permalink
Quote: Gandler

How is that a fair analogy?

The cage is not the same as a Radom person asking for your id.

They can and sometimes have to (as per either law or casino policy) check id of certain customers. Young customers in some states is routine.

He is 28 and in some states falls into the required to check category, so it clearly is an age thing. I get my Id checked almost every time I cash out of, its a cashier I don't know. I never fuss or even think about it, it's their job, and a standard thing to ensure integrity of casino operations.

it's not the same thing. They have the same right to ask though, but can't require. It often is casino policy for checking players card/identification over X amount or cer denom chips, doesnt mean it is legally required or that they have the right to withhold the chips. They clearly use the age thing as an excuse when trying to demand I.d. from younger advantage players. They can, will, and have asked for I.d. from 60-70 year old men when going for a trespass, they just aren't going to use the age excuse/lie.
Romes
Romes
Joined: Jul 22, 2014
  • Threads: 28
  • Posts: 5552
January 9th, 2015 at 11:13:02 AM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

it's not the same thing. They have the same right to ask though, but can't require. It often is casino policy for checking players card/identification over X amount or cer denom chips, doesnt mean it is legally required or that they have the right to withhold the chips. They clearly use the age thing as an excuse when trying to demand I.d. from younger advantage players. They can, will, and have asked for I.d. from 60-70 year old men when going for a trespass, they just aren't going to use the age excuse/lie.


100% correct.

The clerk at 7-11 isn't a random person asking for my ID, it's an employee of the private property company... So when I buy a candy bar and he asks for my ID, can he refuse to give me my change/money back if I refuse to show it?
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
Gandler
Gandler
Joined: Jan 27, 2014
  • Threads: 33
  • Posts: 1589
January 9th, 2015 at 11:13:46 AM permalink
Quote: Romes

100% correct.

The clerk at 7-11 isn't a random person asking for my ID, it's an employee of the private property company... So when I buy a candy bar and he asks for my ID, can he refuse to give me my change/money back if I refuse to show it?



If you were purchasing cigarettes or booze or lotto yes....
Romes
Romes
Joined: Jul 22, 2014
  • Threads: 28
  • Posts: 5552
January 9th, 2015 at 11:18:14 AM permalink
Quote: Gandler

If you were purchasing cigarettes or booze or lotto yes....


Too bad in this scenario that's not the case. He was simply exchanging casino currency for US dollars.

Also, the clerk could refuse to sell me what I'm trying to buy, but he doesn't have the right to keep the $100 bill I gave him to pay for it! He would hand my money back to me and say "get out of here or I'll call the cops."
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
Avincow
Avincow
Joined: Oct 17, 2014
  • Threads: 24
  • Posts: 395
January 9th, 2015 at 11:19:45 AM permalink
Quote: Romes

In this case it was fairly evident that they were ID'ing him to get his information so they could attempt to trespass him. Anything under $10,000 isn't subject to a CTR, and thus doesn't require an ID/information. I think that's casino policy, but not law, that they ask for your ID though. If you're an 80 year old whom walks in, plays, refused to get a players card, they couldn't stop you from cashing out. You have a contract when you bet with them and they accepted your action. You then have the right to cash your chips out.


I'm about the same age, and when I shave I can easily pull off 21-22. I've NEVER once been ID'd in the TONS of casino's I've played in for the past 8 years all around the country.

They have a right to ID you when you come to the gaming floor, and again at the table. They can't hold your money when they ask for ID at the cage because it is exactly that, your money. To my semi-educated guess I would say they have to cash his chips out, especially from the example above. I'm not 100% sure on how this interacts with customers whom look 'younger than 35' though. IF such a law/rule existed that they could do that, I would still believe they could not KEEP your chips though. That's theft.



Romes, you probably don't look as young as Gandler and I look. When I went to Vegas I got carded 90% of the time when I sat down at the table and 50% of the time when I cashed out. Hell, I even got carded when I ordered water from the bar! The first time it happened to me, I thought the bartender was joking

I have never been carded so many times, except in Vegas. Usually I show my card at the door anywhere else in the country and that is the end of it.

  • Jump to: