DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
June 17th, 2014 at 11:57:39 AM permalink
Link

I don't remember seeing this here and just wondered if anyone other than myself finds this fascinating?

I don't recall many times where a company that is number one in their main field is putting itself for sale. Personally, I don't disagree with it. The slot manufacturing business is becoming very competitive and the market is no longer growing.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
June 17th, 2014 at 4:21:31 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Link

I don't remember seeing this here and just wondered if anyone other than myself finds this fascinating?

I don't recall many times where a company that is number one in their main field is putting itself for sale. Personally, I don't disagree with it. The slot manufacturing business is becoming very competitive and the market is no longer growing.

I'm extremely interested in keeping an eye on this. Thanks for the link!
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Ahigh
Ahigh
  • Threads: 90
June 17th, 2014 at 4:48:16 PM permalink

IGT's market cap isn't as far ahead of BYI as it has been in years past. Before the pop associated with the news about "IGT for sale" BYI was on the precipice of surpassing IGT in terms of market cap.

Of possibly more interesting relevance is that MGAM is now the #3 manufacturer surpassing WMS (who was purchased by SGMS).

Perelman is a billionare owner of SGMS who is one of the people considering a purchase of IGT.

There could be some thinking that IGT + WMS > BYI + SHFL -- and the rivalry continues.

We also have MGAM and PTEK merged recently as well, but PTEK was miniscule.

They do have a PTEK table at the Plaza, but they aren't making any money on it. Just trying to break even.
aahigh.com
socks
socks
  • Threads: 15
June 17th, 2014 at 11:16:16 PM permalink

Link

As a potential game dev... why doesn't this exit(edit: excite) me? I guess change is better than the lackluster response I got before?
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
June 17th, 2014 at 11:28:09 PM permalink
They should bring back bankable bonus slot machines.
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
Tomspur
Tomspur
  • Threads: 28
June 17th, 2014 at 11:44:48 PM permalink
Quote: socks

Link

As a potential game dev... why doesn't this exit(edit: excite) me? I guess change is better than the lackluster response I got before?

Damn, I had a duzi of a reply lined up if you hadn't edited :)
“There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.” - Winston Churchill
Ahigh
Ahigh
  • Threads: 90
June 17th, 2014 at 11:54:28 PM permalink
IGT's future is certainly something that many wish were less uncertain. Those darned non-compete clauses are buried deep and if you want to work for someone else, you give up a lot of cha-ching.

It has to suck wondering what happens if the music stops and there just aren't enough jobs for everyone who gets let go.

We are hiring and have no non-compete agreements.
aahigh.com
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
June 18th, 2014 at 12:16:49 AM permalink
Weren't there supposed to be IGT VP multiplay patents expiring this year? I haven't heard anything about these and would think their power would become diminished by this.
I am a robot.
  • Jump to: