mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
  • Threads: 62
April 7th, 2014 at 4:33:35 PM permalink
I just finished a kindle book on the life and times of Alvin Clarence Thomas, A.K.A, Titanic Thompson, an illiterate Arkansas farmboy who left home at 16, and became the most notorious gambler in the world. He was a world class cash game golfer who could play both right handed and left handed. He made far more than the touring pros of his time. But he also played poker, horseshoes, chess, checkers, pool. Any game you could name....and he only played for big money. The rich were his marks. By the thirties the word had spread to gambling circles across the country "Don't bet with Titanic Thompson. You can't win."

How do you get your dog to jump in a creek and fetch the rock you marked with an X?
How do you throw a peanut or a watermelon on top of a 6 story building?
How do you hit a golf ball 500 yards?
How do you make a 20 foot put five times in a row for all the money?

Along the way he hobnobbed and gambled with Arnold Rothstein, Al Capone, Nick the Greek Dandalos, Minnesota Fats, Benny Binion, Amarillo Slim, Doyle Brunson. He fleeced movie stars, world class golfers, anybody that had a big chunk of change he was on them like white on rice.

I think I'll read it again.
"Quit trying your luck and start trying your skill." Mickey Crimm
beerseason
beerseason
  • Threads: 4
April 7th, 2014 at 5:15:12 PM permalink
He sure was a cool dude. I'm gonna have to make time to read that. I do know how he got the dog to fetch the rock with an X on it.
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
April 7th, 2014 at 5:28:46 PM permalink
Rudolph Wanderone was know as New York Fats until The Hustler came out in 1961. The character was in no way named after Fats. He just saw an opportunity to cash in. When did Titanic say he was associated with Fats ? I think the biographer might be stretching it a bit !
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
April 7th, 2014 at 6:06:33 PM permalink
I read that book a couple years ago, I loved it. If only a third of it were true, it would still be awesome.
A falling knife has no handle.
Buzzard
Buzzard
April 7th, 2014 at 6:22:06 PM permalink
Pool hustlers , by their very nature are liars. Fats was a very, very, very good hustler by that standard. In 1978 the highest rated show on Wide World of Sports was the Ali-Spinks rematch. 2nd highest was Fats vs Mosconi with Howard Cossell also. Willie won as was expected. Racked for him in 2 exhibitions in 1959. Greatest pool players EVER. And don't think he could not play for money or 9ball.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
HowMany
HowMany
  • Threads: 13
April 7th, 2014 at 7:43:43 PM permalink
I read the book a year or two ago. Loved it.

Thanks for the reminder- I'm gonna read it again.
soxfan
soxfan
  • Threads: 9
April 7th, 2014 at 7:54:56 PM permalink
Rich dudes can be a nice source of income, I must say. For several years in the1990's I pulled down a nice yearly six figure payday, simply playin in private backgammon games against well heeled cats in North/South American and across Europe, hey hey.
" Life is a well of joy; but where the rabble drinks too, all wells are poisoned!" Nietzsche
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
April 7th, 2014 at 8:34:25 PM permalink
Quote: Buzzard

Rudolph Wanderone was know as New York Fats until The Hustler came out in 1961. The character was in no way named after Fats. He just saw an opportunity to cash in. When did Titanic say he was associated with Fats ? I think the biographer might be stretching it a bit !

It was in the 1930's and Fats was known then as "New York Fats," "Brooklyn Fats," and "Double Smart Fats." The biographer explained how he eventually became known as Minnesota Fats.
sodawater
sodawater
  • Threads: 64
April 7th, 2014 at 8:36:26 PM permalink
So is the name of the book a secret, or something?
Buzzard
Buzzard
April 7th, 2014 at 8:36:55 PM permalink
Fats said he sailed around the world 6 times, never lost a bet, etc. Had a friend who knew him and said some early mornings Fats would buy a bag full of steaks and drive up back alleys feeding the stray dogs. My kind of guy. But Mosconi was the best ever.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
April 7th, 2014 at 8:40:37 PM permalink
Quote: sodawater

Looking at amazon, I'm guessing it's this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Titanic-Thompson-The-Man-Everything/dp/0393340570

The reviews are great, including his son saying this is the one to read about him. And....a well-written rave from "traveling hobo"....hmmmmm.....
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
April 7th, 2014 at 9:08:40 PM permalink
Quote: sodawater

The title of this thread is the name of the book.
Buzzard
Buzzard
April 7th, 2014 at 9:12:50 PM permalink
Only 28 minutes late Mickey. Alcohol does slow the reflexes.
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
April 7th, 2014 at 9:35:52 PM permalink

Only 28 minutes late Mickey. Alcohol does slow the reflexes.

Sorry, Buzz. Ain't been drinking lately. And if it was bank pool or 3-Cushion Billiards I think I would bet on Fats.
Buzzard
Buzzard
April 7th, 2014 at 10:48:49 PM permalink
Beanie Weanie was phenomenal at banks out of DC I cut my teeth on 3 rail. Not saying Willie would have beat Fats at anything other than straight on 9 ball, but then Willie would beat anybody in the world at his game. I remember some moron saying, Hey all he shoots is easy shot LOL With his position I could run a 100 everyday.

526 without a miss. Who is ever going to break that record, even on steroids !
sodawater
sodawater
  • Threads: 64
April 7th, 2014 at 11:03:07 PM permalink
Quote: mickeycrimm

The title of this thread is the name of the book.

Oh, I just thought you liked capitalizing things.
Tomspur
Tomspur
  • Threads: 28
April 7th, 2014 at 11:33:08 PM permalink

Beanie Weanie was phenomenal at banks out of DC I cut my teeth on 3 rail. Not saying Willie would have beat Fats at anything other than straight on 9 ball, but then Willie would beat anybody in the world at his game. I remember some moron saying, Hey all he shoots is easy shot LOL With his position I could run a 100 everyday.

526 without a miss. Who is ever going to break that record, even on steroids !

Now, now Buzz, this belongs on the other thread :)
“There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.” - Winston Churchill
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
April 30th, 2014 at 2:56:21 PM permalink
Catching up on old threads and checked my local library for this book. They didn't have it when I checked in early April, but they apparently picked up 4 copies since then! So I have it in my hot little hands and will be reading it soon.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
June 15th, 2014 at 4:38:13 PM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

Catching up on old threads and checked my local library for this book. They didn't have it when I checked in early April, but they apparently picked up 4 copies since then! So I have it in my hot little hands and will be reading it soon.

Just finished this book and enjoyed it quite a bit!

The ending was depressing, to me. If he had just put away a tiny percentage of the money he won in his young years, he would have had nothing to worry about when he got old. Instead he was in the unenviable position of no longer being good enough at golf to play for money, and living in a time when folks started to get more suspicious of random strangers offering them prop bets. It's just sad to me that he didn't save any money...I mean he bought his mom a house, and lost a bunch of oil wells in one of his early divorces!
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
  • Jump to: