18 votes (35.29%)
15 votes (29.41%)

51 members have voted

rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
May 1st, 2014 at 8:02:57 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

With the mental picture thing, the opposite can be said of RDW4potus! I expected an older, and definitely smaller, guy! RDW is a great listener, as he was willing to meet up with me a few more times during the trip! To gamble with me and not go crazy you got to be willing to tolerate my endless banter! I think I have another member hooked on Asia poker at the Gold Coast. By the way, BBB found out it is still at Paris, too.

I definitely enjoyed the company and also Asia poker. I'm going to run down to Harrah's Philadelphia this weekend to see if the game is still there. We'll have to play tiles at the next meetup. I want to get a handle on that game, too, and you're a great teacher.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
May 1st, 2014 at 8:07:32 AM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
May 1st, 2014 at 8:11:50 AM permalink
Despite Mike's sad time, he was kind enough to make time to meet up with me and the real SooPoo, as they both share a passion for mountain climbing. Mike always presents himself as the nerdy math guy, but SooPoo said after that I mis-described him! She said he is not nerdy at all. I think the two of them will climb a mountain together, as my ex certainly has the available time! I'll let Mike post the details, if he so chooses! I passed along the regards from all at the WoV lunch, and he truly appreciated the well wishes from all.
Mike did ask about the trivia contest. I relayed that Aces won, and I thought the contest was a little too hard and esoteric. Although I got none of the bands, I did think the umlaut question was great!
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
May 1st, 2014 at 8:25:09 AM permalink
The craps............
I only play craps when socially forced to! I generally like to 'loiter' when I gamble, but when I play craps I gotta have action! So my meager $200 buy in was almost gone, and I begrudgingly reached into my wallet for another $100 as Konbu started to roll. I had enough for his passline bet, double odds, and $12 6 and 8.... Konbu did not disappoint! He rolled 29 times, and with my continuous come betting I had a round $400 in front of me by the time he finished! Next it was my turn to roll them bones! I proceeded to inform the crew that I had just come from dice school, at a cost of $1000, so they better be wary! My first toss, both dice hit piles of chips, splattering them, and also the dice didn't make it to the end. The dealer reminded me to have both dice hit the back wall! My roll could not have been more random!!! Anyway, I was a "9" machine. I didn't hit that many points, but at one point I rolled 5 9's in a row, and each time I'd win $40 with the 'off and on'. I called two numbers exactly, one being a yo on a comeout roll, the other one being a 10. I tied Konbu at 29 rolls, and I was up over $1000 after I sevened out! I badgered RDW into rolling, and he did ok. Doc cost me a few bills, but after he rolled I quit up $850! That was my single best gambling 'session' that I've ever had!
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
May 1st, 2014 at 8:32:06 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

I don't think it would be out of line to put a Despicable Me minion in the photo as it is just replacing her position in the photo rather than representing her in the photo.

I must acknowledge that I was in error before when I said that everyone stood and posed for the photo -- Beachbumbabs kept her seat. I hadn't looked back at the photo and just forgot that detail.

OK, so here's the edited version of the photo. I have already admitted that I knew/know nothing about minions from Despicable Me, and I found an image on the web that is different than the one that rdw4potus and Beachbumbabs discussed in that other thread that rdw linked to above.

Maybe this post will put the whole topic to rest. I wasn't really trying to stir up some big controversy, especially surrounding an event where we all had so much fun together.

Edit 9/22/14: The photo I posted here on 5/1 looked stupid and was offensive. I have recently learned that it is still causing problems, so I have deleted it from my post.

While I was (perhaps unnecessarily) miffed about the original photo being deleted, I really only intended my reply to tease Babs a little about her "vanity" in not wanting to show that unflattering image of herself on the forum. Most of us wouldn't want our WoVCon photos to accompany a job application.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
May 1st, 2014 at 8:37:38 AM permalink
Other stuff.... I'll make an entire new thread, but VERY disappointed in Boyd gaming. I had two free nights, and was going to pay for 4 nights at the Gold Coast for SooPoo. Since I put in a lot of time at Gold Coast (probably 10 hours) plus the dismal showing at MSS, and the craps at California, I figured I had some comps I could use to defray the cost of the room. They told me they use my comps FIRST against the cost of my comped room, so if I had $70 in comps, they count that against a room I thought was free! So none of my comps were used against my actual bill!

(Close your eyes, Dan!) Playing Asia poker with RDW, we had a dealer, very politely, say she hated dealing the game! She's too tired, and its too complicated! There was a stretch of 4 hands where she miss set her hand 3 times. Two of the times it turned losses for RDW into wins. There was no doubt that while playing with this dealer, the table was positive EV for both me and RDW. The overall weak house ways, and dealer lethargy, leads me to believe that it might be exploitable. But the single card copy going to the house might be too large of a house advantage to overcome. The 'sweetest' session I had, was after checking out and being pissed SooPoo had to pay the $150 for the hotel stay, I won $200 at the Asia poker table. That was pure positive variance, as even when I got a dismal hand the dealer would get one even worse!
Doc
Doc
May 1st, 2014 at 8:56:09 AM permalink

I'll make an entire new thread, but VERY disappointed in Boyd gaming.

Similar feelings about Caesars and my 4-night stay at the Rio. In terms of the offer I booked, these were the highest average nightly prices I have ever paid for a room at Rio, so I don't think I was being comped very much off the top.

Then I played five sessions of craps at the Rio -- Thursday evening, Friday mid-day, Friday night, Saturday night, and Sunday early evening before dinner. My buy-ins ranged from $200 to $400. I know that's not a lot, but it's not really chickenfeed. Would you like to guess how many points I had earned on my Total Rewards card by the end of my stay? According to both the front desk (at checkout) and the display on a slot machine, I had not earned a single point from those five craps sessions. I know that my buy-ins were recorded with my card info, but apparently they didn't care for my play at all!
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
  • Threads: 62
May 1st, 2014 at 9:03:07 AM permalink
Quote: rudeboyoi

Whose ready for some hiking?! I'll prob be there by 9:45. I'll be wearing a white T-shirt, black shorts, and white sneakers. I'm tall and have short blondish/brown hair.

Turn right onto calico basin road. Its before the entrance to red rock canyon. Don't go into the first parking lot that's paved but instead turn right. Then take a left at the next road. Then take a right at the next road. And when you get to the end you will see a gravel parking lot. Pull in there.

If I was at the spring fling the only hike I would take would be to the closest poker room.
"Quit trying your luck and start trying your skill." Mickey Crimm
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
May 1st, 2014 at 9:06:51 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I'm aware of the photo-gate scandal. Let me say for now that I also feel that the removal of the photo was an abuse of power. However, I will give BBB a chance to state her version when I see her later today.

I cast a vote for "mercy."

Had I sent an email to a mod, e.g. BBB, requesting that my pic be deleted, I would expect my request to be honored, without question.

She merely skipped the middleman, or middlewoman.

Besides, she's pretty cool.
"What, me worry?"
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
May 1st, 2014 at 9:11:48 AM permalink
Quote: Doc

Similar feelings about Caesars and my 4-night stay at the Rio. In terms of the offer I booked, these were the highest average nightly prices I have ever paid for a room at Rio, so I don't think I was being comped very much off the top.

Then I played five sessions of craps at the Rio -- Thursday evening, Friday mid-day, Friday night, Saturday night, and Sunday early evening before dinner. My buy-ins ranged from $200 to $400. I know that's not a lot, but it's not really chickenfeed. Would you like to guess how many points I had earned on my Total Rewards card by the end of my stay? According to both the front desk (at checkout) and the display on a slot machine, I had not earned a single point from those five craps sessions. I know that my buy-ins were recorded with my card info, but apparently they didn't care for my play at all!

I forgot that part of my trip! After playing many hours of both Tiles and Pai gow Poker, I went to the total rewards desk and asked how much I earned during my trip. She broke it down day by day for me, and I think two of the days was less than a dollar, and my 'big day', when I was betting $50 a hand at Tiles, I made it to $1.86!!!!

That being said, I did get 5 free nights at the nicest room I've ever stayed at in Vegas, with the nicest view (penthouse in Ipanema tower), so if they still give me free rooms and ZERO other comps I'll keep coming back. I did get $50 in free play vouchers, and this time they acted like real cash. If you won they sat there until you lost.

Also, the credit card stuff is great! By being platinum I had no lines and preferential seating at buffets. At the Rio Seafood buffet, which I highly recommend over their carnival buffet, we sat in an area with lots more space between the tables, and likely more waiters per table than the regular area. The buffet of buffets worked as planned, we did the Rio Seafood buffet first night and Caesars bacchanal the second. I was willing to do a third for lunch but SooPoo and Mike outvoted me and we went for a sushi lunch.... There is also a little 'private' room for check in, free waters, printing services, which is a minor but nice perk.

We loved the Bacchanal buffet, it is truly amazing, but likely would not go back if it was $60 per person. By the way, the menu they hand you has the standard "18% tip applied to parties of 8 or more". We were sitting next to a party of 10, and I guess they were required to tip over $100 for the table clearing and beverage service! I am guessing the wait staff there makes well over $100k per year!
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
May 1st, 2014 at 9:15:01 AM permalink

Stations was not much nicer to me. $12 in comp dollars for about 15 hours of play from Friday-Sunday. Looks like I got about $2 from Boyd for my play at MSS/Cal/Gold Coast. And, my play at Rio & Cromwell got me $0.11 from Caesars.

I get a kick out of Stations - the same play that got me $12 in comps also nearly qualified me for the third tier of their players club.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
May 1st, 2014 at 9:18:30 AM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

Stations was not much nicer to me. $12 in comp dollars for about 15 hours of play from Friday-Sunday. Looks like I got about $2 from Boyd for my play at MSS/Cal/Gold Coast. And, my play at Rio & Cromwell got me $0.11 from Caesars.

At my level of play I don't even bother.

I lost my Downtown cards this trip. the only one I bothered to replace was Boyd's, and only because I get a dollar off at the buffets at MSS and Fremont.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
May 1st, 2014 at 9:29:21 AM permalink

She joined me and my ex at Makino for dinner, and I think I made another Makino convert! If you like sushi, Makino is the place to go! For around $25 I think I ate what would cost $200 if ordered ala carte! BBB and her mother also joined me at the Rio pool, and at the Loose Caboose to meet DJATC and Axelwolf for drinks.

Where is this restaurant? I love sushi but I didn't eat any while I was in Vegas (other than a bit at the Bacchanal buffet).
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
May 1st, 2014 at 9:58:40 AM permalink

The craps............
I only play craps when socially forced to! I generally like to 'loiter' when I gamble, but when I play craps I gotta have action! So my meager $200 buy in was almost gone, and I begrudgingly reached into my wallet for another $100 as Konbu started to roll. I had enough for his passline bet, double odds, and $12 6 and 8.... Konbu did not disappoint! He rolled 29 times, and with my continuous come betting I had a round $400 in front of me by the time he finished! Next it was my turn to roll them bones! I proceeded to inform the crew that I had just come from dice school, at a cost of $1000, so they better be wary! My first toss, both dice hit piles of chips, splattering them, and also the dice didn't make it to the end. The dealer reminded me to have both dice hit the back wall! My roll could not have been more random!!! Anyway, I was a "9" machine. I didn't hit that many points, but at one point I rolled 5 9's in a row, and each time I'd win $40 with the 'off and on'. I called two numbers exactly, one being a yo on a comeout roll, the other one being a 10. I tied Konbu at 29 rolls, and I was up over $1000 after I sevened out! I badgered RDW into rolling, and he did ok. Doc cost me a few bills, but after he rolled I quit up $850! That was my single best gambling 'session' that I've ever had!

Let the record show that the only non-dealer prop bet I made during my trip was to hop the hard 10 while SOOPOO was rolling. The point was 10, and he had just called his yo. I figured I should cash in on that dice class too!
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
May 1st, 2014 at 10:38:37 AM permalink

The first photo shows SOOPOO, Beachbumbabs, and DRich. Don't they look like a happy trio? Obviously, they had somewhere else they wanted to get to.

(edit: couldn't stand having such a horrid surprise candid up there of me, doc; I killed it. Please forgive me. BBB)

Now wait just a sec.... That was not a candid photo. Everyone stood and posed for those shots, and I already apologized for the poor quality. Is this really a proper role for a moderator, to censor posts that he/she doesn't want others to see. That just smacks of vanity!

Doc,

I haven't read the rest of this thread yet; still travelling. I'm sure most people agree with you, including me, but I panicked yesterday that you had done that without asking me if you could post a picture like that first, and rather than asking you to take it down the next time you happened to sign in, I killed it.. I did ask you to forgive me in the initial post, I apologize again, and you're welcome to attribute it to vanity. I was NOT standing, posed, or ready for you to take that picture; I looked up when someone said something and you went "click". The other side of the table was standing and ready after that.

I was completely humiliated by that picture and that you identified me in it on this public website. I don't have pictures of me on facebook or anywhere else, and since you recognized yourself that it was a bad photo, I'm a little surprised you went ahead and posted it without regard to what I might think. I loved meeting you and your lovely wife, and wish to have no argument with you, but I do think I have the right to not have a photo of me up on here without having seen it or had any say about it.

Anybody else that commented, thanks in advance. I'm sure it will make for interesting reading.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
May 1st, 2014 at 10:59:49 AM permalink

Is this really a proper role for a moderator, to censor posts that he/she doesn't want others to see

Quote: michael99000

A similarly abusive move by anyone else would've resulted in an immediate suspension. And many non admins have been suspended for way lessor actions than this one here

I'm aware of the photo-gate scandal. Let me say for now that I also feel that the removal of the photo was an abuse of power

+1, +1, +1
Fighting BS one post at a time!
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
May 1st, 2014 at 11:55:54 AM permalink
II am still travelling and having a very difficult time writing/editing on my tablet. I agree it was an abuse of administrative power for me to delete the link, so to save Mike the trouble of making a hard decision not covered by the rules, I have decided to voluntarily suspend myself for 3 days; I would request that one of the other mods make the appropriate entries now, and un-ban me on May 4th. Mike may modify this further in either direction as he sees fit. See you later, all.

I would ask that, in the future, if you (anyone) happen to get a picture of me, you keep it for your personal use, not post it on the internet. Thank you.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
May 1st, 2014 at 12:04:00 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

II am still travelling and having a very difficult time writing/editing on my tablet. I agree it was an abuse of administrative power for me to delete the link, so to save Mike the trouble of making a hard decision not covered by the rules, I have decided to voluntarily suspend myself for 3 days; I would request that one of the other mods make the appropriate entries now, and un-ban me on May 4th. Mike may modify this further in either direction as he sees fit. See you later, all.

I would ask that, in the future, if you (anyone) happen to get a picture of me, you keep it for your personal use, not post it on the internet. Thank you.

Personal use? It's okay if I hang it in my living room?

You do know that you appear in a photo that was posted last Sept. 27th in the WOV G2E Dinner 2013 thread? I just blew it up to get a better look. It was posted by the Wizard so you may not want to delete it.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
Doc
Doc
May 1st, 2014 at 12:15:04 PM permalink
Babs, when we first arranged to meet last week, you indicated that you had seen pictures of both my wife and me. I took that to mean that you were well aware that I have posted photos of members at all of the WoV gatherings that I have attended. Each time, I have tried to give folks the opportunity to withdraw from the photo shoot (as several did last year) or to hide their appearance, as MidwestAP did last year and AcesAndEights did this year. If you had given me any indication (either before or after I took the picture) that you did not want your photo shared with the forum, I would not have posted an image that included you.

On the other hand, it seems that you have posed for at least one other photo that has appeared on this site. I concede that was a much better photo than the one I took, and I really should have asked everyone to stay around just a few minutes longer so that I could get some proper photos of our Spring Fling. I do not go out of my way to post unflattering images of people I like, and I really wish I had taken more shots and had better images to share with the forum.

BTW, while I was disappointed in the way you deleted my image, if you check you will not see anywhere that I suggested any sort of suspension or other punitive measures. I was just griping.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
May 1st, 2014 at 12:36:01 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

You may want to make sure everyone in the photo want it posted. I know some people are a little over sensitive about that stuff.

who didn't see this coming?
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
michael99000
michael99000
  • Threads: 9
May 1st, 2014 at 12:55:25 PM permalink
Perhaps future WOV lunch meet ups should enforce the strip club and massage parlor rule, no cameras
michael99000
michael99000
  • Threads: 9
May 1st, 2014 at 12:59:04 PM permalink

I do not go out of my way to post unflattering images of people I like.

Mental note: if I ever meet Doc, don't upset him
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
May 1st, 2014 at 1:08:49 PM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

Where is this restaurant? I love sushi but I didn't eat any while I was in Vegas (other than a bit at the Bacchanal buffet).

Decatur and Flamingo. Its where I took the homeless man, my basketball buddy from Buffalo, and my nurse friends from Buffalo, and now BBB. My ex and I agree that it is our favorite place to eat in the WORLD!....

As far as the picture gate scandal..... I do not like the way I look in the picture!! BUT.... I am happy Doc posted it! If you can't laugh at yourself then you shouldn't be able to laugh at others.... Not wanting to be seen for vanity reasons is not at all equivalent to the AP's who don't want to be seen for business reasons.....

I think BBB's self suspension is a very honorable way for her to handle this. It is interesting how life goes..... I would have laid 1000-1 that two such fine people as BBB and Doc would never get into a substantive argument!
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
  • Threads: 22
May 1st, 2014 at 1:24:30 PM permalink
Quote: michael99000

Perhaps future WOV lunch meet ups should enforce the strip club and massage parlor rule, no cameras

Or, we could just have the meet ups AT the strip clubs!
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
May 1st, 2014 at 1:28:22 PM permalink
Quote: MidwestAP

Or, we could just have the meet ups AT the strip clubs!

Now you're thinking!

Actually I still would not go. While there are lots of people on this forum who I'd like to meet, there are also a few who I specifically do NOT want to meet because I don't trust them, so I wouldn't go to any event where anyone who wanted could show up.

I did meet with Axel last time. Nice guy, and I enjoyed talking about gambling with him. Even made him some money :)
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
May 1st, 2014 at 1:36:54 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

You may want to make sure everyone in the photo want it posted. I know some people are a little over sensitive about that stuff.

I'm very sensitive about that stuff. There are no pictures of me on the internet and I do my best to keep it that way. I'm not on Facebook or any similar site so don't look for any pictures of this morning's breakfast.

If you've had a picture on this site for the last eight months and then knowingly and willingly get in front of Doc's camera, what do you think he's going to do with the pictures?
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
May 1st, 2014 at 2:53:43 PM permalink
Looks like I was right when I originally said women abuse power right after BBB got promoted ;).

I copied the original photo I bought a set of darts.

3 day self imposed suspension? HOW DARE SHE TAKE AWAY OUR FUN. I thought we were going to have a good old fashion stake burning and draw cards to see who gets to lite the match.

SERIOUSLY: this is complete BS. I don't know the official rules about posting members pics or having the right to ask for them to be taken down or edited.
You should be able to request a MOD do this at ANY TIME no argument. And it should be dealt with immediately. As Someone pointed out, you may change your mind at one point. Perhaps you have a dam good reason for not wanting it posted up.

BBB didn't want the pic up, she is a MOD and she asked herself (A MOD) to take it down, WTF is wrong with that? She may of not had time or the tools to edit it properly, or start asking the OP for permission.

I think the current picture as it is, is offensive, despicable and disrespectful. Shame, shame, shame on us for treating someone who helps monitor this forum like this.
I don't care what her reasons are for wanting the picture down. She should have that right.

I really think that BBB has to put on a happy face and take heat for this, because Mission and Mike have now stated they both think it was an abuse of power.

This is one time I think Mike should use MY HOUSE MY RULES and force BBB to come back to "work" immediately or be suspended for not showing up.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
May 1st, 2014 at 2:55:33 PM permalink
Quote: AxiomOfChoice

Now you're thinking!

Actually I still would not go. While there are lots of people on this forum who I'd like to meet, there are also a few who I specifically do NOT want to meet because I don't trust them, so I wouldn't go to any event where anyone who wanted could show up.

I did meet with Axel last time. Nice guy, and I enjoyed talking about gambling with him. Even made him some money :)

Not enough.

Axiom Was a lot different then I expected. Much younger and NOT looking like a nerd. He looks like he could get some tail if he wanted to. I always picture him as a middle aged white guy, go figure.

Defiantly a fun guy to hang around with and he keeps up a good conversation. He seems just as intelligent as most of his posts. He is more quiet in person then online.

I didn't see him pull out a smelly cigar.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
May 1st, 2014 at 5:11:56 PM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

Oh, come on. he's the young white guy in the tee shirt and shorts. Oh, wait. Did I just describe 75% of the tourists in Vegas? :-)

Wearing that specific outfit on that specific day at MSS?? ;-)

I'm not too worried about it. I didn't play any blackjack at all on Saturday, when I was wearing that exact shirt. True, the fuzz at MSS could go back and review the footage and match a face to my handle for future reference, but I'm not THAT paranoid. I just don't want random casino employee coming on here and seeing my screen name next to my face. Or random person looking to rob me of my bankroll funds while in Vegas.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
May 1st, 2014 at 5:31:25 PM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
May 2nd, 2014 at 8:11:12 AM permalink
Regarding the photo scandal (sorry for calling it "photo-gate" previously), I accept Barb's three-day self-suspension. She is banned until May 4, although the green for being an admin supersedes the red of being suspended. Her name shall also live on forever in infamy on the suspension list. So, try to behave yourselves while she is gone.

In the future, I suggest that site policy be that photos of other members be done only with the explicit permission of each member in the picture. Such permission can be granted at the time of the photo or after the fact. For future gatherings, I think there should just be one official group photo, to keep things simple. If you don't want to be in the photo, then cover your head with a hat or stand behind another member, as JB did in the photo for the fall 2012 gathering.

The policy for admins editing the posts of other members should be done only for clear rule violations. Rule 4 says, "Respect privacy. Do not post any information about someone else that is intended to be private or quote from private communication." I would consider posting a photo of another member who didn't want his image known to be a violation of that rule. However, in the case at hand, there was already a photo of Barb posted, again from fall 2012. The reason for the removal was that the photo was not flattering. That, I don't think, rises to the level of urgency to edit another member's post, and thus accept Barb's self-suspension as punishment.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Doc
Doc
May 2nd, 2014 at 9:11:42 AM permalink
A couple of comments:

I try to keep a low-conflict/low-drama style, both on this forum and in real life. I am disappointed and apologetic that my posting a photo of our WoV Spring Fling gathering led to this kind of mess. I have posted many photos of members in the past, and I am not aware of there ever having been a problem before. Sometimes, a single photo just doesn't do the job right. At last May's gathering, both the Wizard and I took group photos outside the Sugar Factory, but in those photos even the people who wanted to be seen are hardly recognizable. I felt that the individual/small-group shots that I took around the table added quite a bit to showing the attending members and the fun we were having. I was careful not to reveal any clear images of the people who indicated they did not want their appearances to be posted on the web.

I did a much poorer job of photographing our gathering this year; I just plain forgot to get the photos until the group was breaking up to leave the Triple 7 Brew Pub. That failure on my part led to an unflattering photo being the only thing I had to offer to the forum. While I was miffed (rightfully or wrongly) about the photo having been chopped from my post without any discussion with me, and while I griped (perhaps unnecessarily or excessively) about that, I did not request or suggest that any kind of punitive measures be imposed. I think this self-imposed-and-accepted suspension is quite unnecessary. I don't think a moderator should have made that change without discussing it, but I also don't think she should be punished for it. A simple suggestion/direction to handle things differently in the future should be completely adequate. I expressed that feeling directly to Beachbumbabs last night when we exchanged text messages outside the forum. I encourage the Wizard to consider a commutation of sentence, or perhaps even a pardon of clemency that would purge such an event from the formal records.

I hope that future gatherings of this forum's members can be documented here with photographs. I think that adds to the fun and to the camaraderie. I certainly endorse the rules of privacy, and I don't think I would ever knowingly post a photo of someone who doesn't wish to have their image appear here. I have suggested to BBB that one way we could try to get past this mess is for both of us to attend the Niagara Falls gathering suggested in another thread by SOOPOO, get a group photo or ten (making as sure as we can that everyone wants to be in it and is ready for the shutter click), and post the image(s) here to show that all is AOK. We'll have to wait to see whether that happens.
JB
Administrator
JB
  • Threads: 334
May 2nd, 2014 at 9:14:23 AM permalink

The policy for admins editing the posts of other members should be done only for clear rule violations.

I sometimes edit posts that have formatting problems such as an omitted [/table] tag or something similar. I don't do this unless and/or until the author is offline, to make sure that the original author is not editing the post at the same time.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
May 2nd, 2014 at 9:28:54 AM permalink

I encourage the Wizard to consider a commutation of sentence, or perhaps even a pardon of clemency that would purge such an event from the formal records.

Request denied. We have a long list of suspensions and in most cases charges were never pressed by the victim. In some cases, the victim specifically stated he did not wish to press charges or see the offender punished, for example when HB was suspended for saying SOOPOO was "not a nice guy." However, forum management is big on keeping order with the stick. It is also management policy that not only are admins not above the rules, but are expected to set a good example and behave even better than the general forum population. Thus, the punishment shall stand.

Quote: JB

I sometimes edit posts that have formatting problems such as an omitted [/table] tag or something similar. I don't do this unless and/or until the author is offline, to make sure that the original author is not editing the post at the same time.

I do that too, which is perfectly fine.
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
May 2nd, 2014 at 9:30:59 AM permalink
Quote: JB

Yeah this should definitely be allowed. A miscoded post can make the whole thread look odd fast.

As for the photo topic, it sounds like a case that Babs wasn't quite ready for the photo. Definitely happens from time to time. If she looked poorly in it, it's not surprising she would want it altered. And axel does make a good point, she is still a member and she basically reported it to herself. I feel like it's not that big of deal and no one intended to upset others by it.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
May 2nd, 2014 at 10:02:11 AM permalink

I hope that future gatherings of this forum's members can be documented here with photographs. I think that adds to the fun and to the camaraderie. I certainly endorse the rules of privacy, and I don't think I would ever knowingly post a photo of someone who doesn't wish to have their image appear here. I have suggested to BBB that one way we could try to get past this mess is for both of us to attend the Niagara Falls gathering suggested in another thread by SOOPOO, get a group photo or ten (making as sure as we can that everyone wants to be in it and is ready for the shutter click), and post the image(s) here to show that all is AOK. We'll have to wait to see whether that happens.

We can have one of those hokey group photos with us all going over the falls in a barrel!
Doc
Doc
May 2nd, 2014 at 10:37:50 AM permalink
I'll stand just behind that wall in front of the visitors center to take the shot, while the rest of you ride the barrel over the falls. I don't want to get the camera wet.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
May 2nd, 2014 at 10:43:29 AM permalink

I'll stand just behind that wall in front of the visitors center to take the shot, while the rest of you ride the barrel over the falls. I don't want to get the camera wet.

you can buy the samsung s5 phone, it is water proof. I think only to 5 meters though so make sure you are kicking hard when you hit the water.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
Doc
Doc
May 2nd, 2014 at 11:00:55 AM permalink
Is the ability to kick hard affected by screaming? (Not a judo/karate question.)
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
May 2nd, 2014 at 4:38:28 PM permalink

Quote: Ahigh

Sounds fun.

FTFY

I don't get it.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
Doc
Doc
May 2nd, 2014 at 5:12:56 PM permalink
Quote: teddys

I don't get it.

Don't get the photo or the "FTFY"? This latter is rdw4potus's comment that he helped Ahigh with formating the img command.

As for the photo, the reference seems a bit obscure. The Wizard had suggested a get together at the Cromwell (former Barbary Coast and Bill's Gamblin' Hall). Cromwell is apparently the street address of a college in Australia where they had an underground cinema experience. Here is an article describing one offering, including the photo from Ahigh.

Is that obscure enough for ya?
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
May 3rd, 2014 at 4:01:37 PM permalink

Don't get the photo or the "FTFY"? This latter is rdw4potus's comment that he helped Ahigh with formating the img command.

As for the photo, the reference seems a bit obscure. The Wizard had suggested a get together at the Cromwell (former Barbary Coast and Bill's Gamblin' Hall). Cromwell is apparently the street address of a college in Australia where they had an underground cinema experience. Here is an article describing one offering, including the photo from Ahigh.

Is that obscure enough for ya?

Wow. Thanks for clearing that up, Doc! I have to admit I had no idea but didn't bother to ask.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
May 3rd, 2014 at 5:32:24 PM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

Wow. Thanks for clearing that up, Doc! I have to admit I had no idea but didn't bother to ask.

I didn't get it either, but was afraid to ask, for fear of being the only one who didn't get it.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
May 3rd, 2014 at 5:48:08 PM permalink

I didn't get it either, but was afraid to ask, for fear of being the only one who didn't get it.

I had no clue what the pictures were all about. The first photo I seen where they were lined up walking upstairs. I thought they were going somewhere to wait for aliens and drink kool-aid. and i thought it was some reference to people being sheep.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
May 3rd, 2014 at 5:56:34 PM permalink
Cromwell was very nice compared to Bills and BBcoast. I liked that the cocktail waitresses were very nice and good looking. They all seemed to be from places like Croatia and Bulgaria.

I swore that Bills had a downstairs with an escalator leading to a Micky D's in the past, it had a ton of space. Am I mistaking this for a different place?

My question is what will make them special? Why go to the Cromwell?
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
May 3rd, 2014 at 7:28:15 PM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

I swore that Bills had a downstairs with an escalator leading to a Micky D's in the past, it had a ton of space. Am I mistaking this for a different place?

You're mistaken. The closest thing I can think of where you take an escalator down to get to fast food places is the MGM.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
May 3rd, 2014 at 7:33:20 PM permalink

You're mistaken. The closest thing I can think of where you take an escalator down to get to fast food places is the MGM.

I'm talking a very along time ago. Before Bills probably. It could have been BK
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
May 4th, 2014 at 9:10:20 AM permalink

You can take an escalator up to get to food places, BK for sure, at the Rio.
kenarman
kenarman
  • Threads: 28
May 4th, 2014 at 9:28:11 AM permalink
I remember the McD down the escalator but maybe it was in O'sheas. It was definately one or the other. It would have been in era when it was still the Barbary Coast.
Be careful when you follow the masses, the M is sometimes silent.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
May 4th, 2014 at 2:31:32 PM permalink
Quote: kenarman

I remember the McD down the escalator but maybe it was in O'sheas. It was definately one or the other. It would have been in era when it was still the Barbary Coast.

O'sheas. had a food court in back.
  • Jump to: