1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
December 21st, 2013 at 4:03:52 AM permalink
Has anyone used a credit card at Target between Nov. 27th and Dec 15th? I did. Rather my wife did but the card is in both our names. She used it to purchase the iPads that I posted about in the Black Friday thread.

I called the credit card company and had them change the card number even though it doesn't seem to have been compromised. It's a very simple procedure unless you get the guy with the Indian accent that I got. I could barely understand him and he kept trying to sell me things I didn't want instead of seeing to my needs. Every time he came up for air I said supervisor, a little louder each time.

The supervisor had a Spanish accent which was fine with me. Jose was courteous, professional and took care of me in a couple of minutes. Various news articles are saying to be proactive on this, to get out in front of it and that's exactly what I did. Overkill? Time will tell but I wasn't about to wait around and find out. Here's hoping none of you have a problem with this.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
December 21st, 2013 at 6:29:10 AM permalink
I thought about doing that. We shopped there a few times but we only used our red card so if they stole that number I feel confident that target will take care of it.

I would be interested to hear what actually happened. My guess is a rogue insider.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
PBguy
PBguy
  • Threads: 4
December 21st, 2013 at 3:10:40 PM permalink
What makes this REALLY interesting is that apparently the card information was compromised as it was sent from the Point of Sale terminals to the bank for verification. One story reported that indications are the data was transmitted to the hackers simultaneously. Most credit card hacks in the past have been database hacks with more limited information since companies aren't allowed to store the customers PIN and/or CVV code.

It definitely could have been an insider but some believe it may have been Russian or Chinese hackers.
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
December 21st, 2013 at 3:45:12 PM permalink
Quote: PBguy

What makes this REALLY interesting is that apparently the card information was compromised as it was sent from the Point of Sale terminals to the bank for verification. One story reported that indications are the data was transmitted to the hackers simultaneously. Most credit card hacks in the past have been database hacks with more limited information since companies aren't allowed to store the customers PIN and/or CVV code.

It definitely could have been an insider but some believe it may have been Russian or Chinese hackers.

Crap, that might mean my g/f's card was compromised since she had a return processed on 11/29. But Chase is good about locking down fraud at least.
  • Jump to: