be saying it if you hadn't denigrated the cop for just doing his
job. "the champion of all that is good"? What does that make
you champion of, then.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
September 30th, 2013 at 5:29:01 PM permalink
My understanding is that the dogs never fail to indicate to the cops that they have a hit, the reason being the cops can always claim so on any basis without fear of contradiction. So the probable cause is that the police suspect enough to use the dogs. The judicial system in all 50 is cool with this.

>don't carry dank plastic containers smelling like marijuana?

well, yeah, that and make them bring the dog to you [as you realize now]. But you may have been screwed no matter what.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
VCUSkyhawk
VCUSkyhawk
  • Threads: 21
September 30th, 2013 at 5:29:14 PM permalink
Quote: treetopbuddy

The dog hits on the money so I'm hit with a property forfeiture.

They took the money and my cell phone. Not charged.....they let me go.

Just curious, how can they take your stuff without charging you? Will it be returned?

Oh, and btw a TRUE conservative is one who will stick up for your civil liberties (ie Ron Paul)
I got a plan, we take all your picks we reverse them like one of those twilight zone episodes where everything is the opposite. You say "black" we go white.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
September 30th, 2013 at 5:33:22 PM permalink
Are you sure it wasn't more like this:

Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
September 30th, 2013 at 5:34:37 PM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
VCUSkyhawk
VCUSkyhawk
September 30th, 2013 at 5:35:41 PM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

When it comes to large amounts of money, you're guilty before proven innocent and it's up to you to prove you're innocent.

How can you prove it if you are not charged? That is what I was trying to figure out.
I got a plan, we take all your picks we reverse them like one of those twilight zone episodes where everything is the opposite. You say "black" we go white.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
September 30th, 2013 at 5:39:53 PM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

When it comes to large amounts of money, you're guilty before proven innocent and it's up to you to prove you're innocent.

The trick is that claiming ownership of the money is usually somewhat of an admission of guilt, too.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
VCUSkyhawk
VCUSkyhawk
September 30th, 2013 at 5:41:09 PM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

The trick is that claiming ownership of the money is usually somewhat of an admission of guilt, too.

Good question. Was the 35K just sitting in the back of this rental car that you didn't know about? Sounds strange.
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
  • Threads: 34
September 30th, 2013 at 5:45:53 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Why does it take a conservative to say carelessness and
inattention are their own punishment sometimes. I wouldn't
be saying it if you hadn't denigrated the cop for just doing his
job. "the champion of all that is good"? What does that make
you champion of, then.

deleted
Each day is better than the next
Avenger803
Avenger803
  • Threads: 3
September 30th, 2013 at 5:46:14 PM permalink
Depending on exactly what the timeline for your stop was there could be a problem with the officer asking for you to follow him at the conclusion of the traffic stop. Especially since you would have asked if you could leave and were told he already had probable cause. This is very case specific, and I don't know exactly know the spin put on the 4th amendment out in Kansas, but in my jurisdiction there can be some favorable law on this particular issue.

If you'd like to PM me I'll be happy to get you a referral to someone competent in the area. Please get me the exact city or county where the forfeiture occured.

I'd also recomend not posting anything further about this stop (or any other serious legal matter) on any public forums.
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
September 30th, 2013 at 5:51:32 PM permalink
Quote: Avenger803

Depending on exactly what the timeline for your stop was there could be a problem with the officer asking for you to follow him at the conclusion of the traffic stop. Especially since you would have asked if you could leave and were told he already had probable cause. This is very case specific, and I don't know exactly know the spin put on the 4th amendment out in Kansas, but in my jurisdiction there can be some favorable law on this particular issue.

If you'd like to PM me I'll be happy to get you a referral to someone competent in the area. Please get me the exact city or county where the forfeiture occured.

I'd also recomend not posting anything further about this stop (or any other serious legal matter) on any public forums.

deleted
EvenBob
EvenBob
September 30th, 2013 at 5:51:53 PM permalink

EvenBob.......the forums chief checked pant country club republican. Disgraceful.

Really? You think arguing with a cop when you have
drug evidence and $35K in the car takes a conservative
to condemn? I have no issues with what went down at
all. It's your attitude that you were somehow wronged.

I have to ask. What did you think would happen if you
got stopped?
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
September 30th, 2013 at 5:53:55 PM permalink

Now I know you conservatives have a raging boners right now

So are you looking for help, or do you just want to rant on & on about conservatives? Also, when the cop said he was just going to give you a warning, why didn't you just shut up, say thank you, and be on your way?
Fighting BS one post at a time!
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
September 30th, 2013 at 5:56:03 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Really? You think arguing with a cop when you have
drug evidence and $35K in the car takes a conservative
to condemn? I have no issues with what went down at
all. It's your attitude that you were somehow wronged.

I have to ask. What did you think would happen if you
got stopped?

deleted
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
September 30th, 2013 at 5:57:48 PM permalink
Quote: Beethoven9th

So are you looking for help, or do you just want to rant on & on about conservatives? Also, when the cop said he was just going to give you a warning, why didn't you just shut up, say thank you, and be on your way?

Is that what you would have done? You wouldn't have been a bit confused and indignant about the cop having started the chase before the alleged traffic infraction even occurred?
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
VCUSkyhawk
VCUSkyhawk
September 30th, 2013 at 6:01:14 PM permalink
Last time I got pulled I wasn't wearing my seat belt. The cop said to me "Any particular reason you weren't wearing your seat belt?" I said, "Because I don't think the government has any more reason telling me to wear my seat belt than they have to tell me to eat my broccoli"

I ended up getting the seat belt ticket...it was worth it.
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
September 30th, 2013 at 6:02:12 PM permalink
Actions speak louder than words. Cops keep 35K and don't charge you. Good odds you will not fight it and face a felony.

So much for justice. Guilty till proved innocent !
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
Ahigh
Ahigh
September 30th, 2013 at 6:04:09 PM permalink
https://www.aclu.org/criminal-law-reform/search-and-seizure

There are many unjust actions being taken by police forces. Innocent people are wronged by police. It's a fact.
aahigh.com
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
September 30th, 2013 at 6:04:55 PM permalink

deleted
VCUSkyhawk
VCUSkyhawk
September 30th, 2013 at 6:08:48 PM permalink

Hey Russ Limbaugh

Hmmm, sounds like you just have an axe to grind on conservatives.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
September 30th, 2013 at 6:10:06 PM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

Is that what you would have done? You wouldn't have been a bit confused and indignant about the cop having started the chase before the alleged traffic infraction even occurred?

After reading and re-reading the OP, it's not clear when the "chase" actually began. I'm not one to defend cops (can't stand them myself), but the cop may have just wanted to pass everyone and saw the alleged traffic violation in the process.

Anyway, according to the OP, the cop "pulls me over and tells me that I cut the truck off when changing lanes and was going to give me a warning". At this point, it really is pointless to continue the conversation. It's one guy's word vs. another's, and absolutely nothing good can come out of starting an argument.

So to answer the question, yes, I most definitely would have shut up and been on my way.
Ahigh
Ahigh
September 30th, 2013 at 6:10:16 PM permalink
Quote: VCUSkyhawk

I think you're confusing Russ with Rush. Get your facts straight. Russ is a liberal.
aahigh.com
VCUSkyhawk
VCUSkyhawk
September 30th, 2013 at 6:11:49 PM permalink
Quote: Ahigh

I think you're confusing Russ with Rush. Get your facts straight. Russ is a liberal.

Do you really think he meant Russ? His rants are clearly against conservatives.
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
September 30th, 2013 at 6:11:59 PM permalink

deleted
VCUSkyhawk
VCUSkyhawk
September 30th, 2013 at 6:13:38 PM permalink

Nope, I'm just a 100% pure Libertarian. Libs are just as fucked up as conservatives.

+1
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
September 30th, 2013 at 6:15:40 PM permalink

Hey Russ Limbaugh, the dude never planned on giving me a ticket for cutting off a truck. I didn't. The cops video cam would show that........he never gave me a chance to go.....the guy simply was on a witch hunt. Don't you understand that....?

OK, then what did you expect to accomplish by arguing?
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
September 30th, 2013 at 6:24:13 PM permalink

The dog hits on the money so I'm hit with a property forfeiture.

Presumably the bills were Benjamins, the most polluted currency on earth. Especially with coke and cocaine derivatives.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
September 30th, 2013 at 6:33:09 PM permalink
Treetop you will probably be interested in this:

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2013/08/12/130812fa_fact_stillman

There was a class action lawsuit in a little town in Texas for the abuse of asset forfeiture.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
September 30th, 2013 at 6:36:20 PM permalink

deleted
EvenBob
EvenBob
September 30th, 2013 at 6:39:36 PM permalink

I had a cop buddy tell me years ago never to say
a word when a cop pulls you over. If you even
sound like you're arguing, the cop interprets as
'fuck you'. So the cop thinks, 'fuck me? Nope. But
I sure as hell can fuck you.' And they often do, as
we see here.

Cops, more than anything, want respect for their
badge and their job. Can you blame them?
KeyserSoze
KeyserSoze
  • Threads: 13
September 30th, 2013 at 6:39:59 PM permalink

Pulls me over and tells me that I cut the truck off when changing lanes and was going to give me a warning. I explained to him that

Why say ANYTHING?!?!?!

Rule #1 when dealing with law enforcement- KEEP YOUR PIE HOLE CLOSED!!!!!!!
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; genius hits a target no one else can see.
VCUSkyhawk
VCUSkyhawk
September 30th, 2013 at 6:40:31 PM permalink

A conservative has no problem with what happened to me....and secretly or overtly love it.....Get it?

While I think that you and I agree on our politically philosophy, I still think that you are characterizing conservatism.
VCUSkyhawk
VCUSkyhawk
September 30th, 2013 at 6:41:25 PM permalink
Quote: KeyserSoze

Why say ANYTHING?!?!?!

100% correct!
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
September 30th, 2013 at 6:46:52 PM permalink

If you took the time to read OP you would find that nowhere did I say I argued with the cop.

OK, then forget about the word 'arguing'.

Let me re-ask the question: What did you expect to accomplish by sticking around to chat instead of leaving?
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
September 30th, 2013 at 6:48:01 PM permalink

While I think that you and I agree on our politically philosophy, I still think that you are characterizing conservatism.

deleted
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
September 30th, 2013 at 6:50:14 PM permalink
Quote: KeyserSoze

Why say ANYTHING?!?!?!

+1
VCUSkyhawk
VCUSkyhawk
September 30th, 2013 at 6:51:48 PM permalink

I completely understand conservatives. What, I'm not allowed to characterize conservatism? Of course I'm characterizing conservatives. I can thoroughly characterized liberals too.....

Opps. I meant to say "mischaracterizing". At any rate, a true conservative believes in small, less intrusive government. I personally believe that a conservative believes in defending civil liberties, not just select ones.
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
September 30th, 2013 at 6:51:53 PM permalink

OK, then forget about the word 'arguing'.

Let me re-ask the question: What did you expect to accomplish by sticking around to chat instead of leaving?

deleted
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
September 30th, 2013 at 6:58:37 PM permalink
Conservative ? Liberal?
There are good cops and most are good and there are some bad cops unfortunately.
I'm sure if it can be proven that you got taken by some bad cops and this type of thing is believable because its happened many times before in other jurisdictions, everybody is outraged. Its not left or right. Even those on the right don't support bad cops. Just because someone tries to see it from a cops view doesn't mean they support corrupt cops.

Anyway sounds like you got scammed. Getting stopped with out of state plates, they got you by the kahunas. sucks. They probably smelled money and saw this as an easy score.
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
September 30th, 2013 at 6:59:48 PM permalink

The MF wouldn't let me leave!

This makes no sense at all. So he was going to let you off with a warning, but he wasn't going to allow you to leave? I have a feeling that there's a bunch of stuff you're leaving out here. *headshake* (Still, nobody was forcing you to talk)
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
September 30th, 2013 at 7:02:08 PM permalink

At any rate, a true conservative believes in small, less intrusive government. .

deleted
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
September 30th, 2013 at 7:06:18 PM permalink
I'm going to light up a big fatty!
VCUSkyhawk
VCUSkyhawk
September 30th, 2013 at 7:08:16 PM permalink

Intrusive government nevertheless but just less intrusive. Couldn't have said it better.

Unless you are an anarchist you have to believe in some level of government intrusion.
VCUSkyhawk
VCUSkyhawk
September 30th, 2013 at 7:08:48 PM permalink

-Edited, Overtly Offensive

-Mission146
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
September 30th, 2013 at 7:10:36 PM permalink

Unless you are an anarchist you have to believe in some level of government intrusion.

faceplam
VCUSkyhawk
VCUSkyhawk
September 30th, 2013 at 7:13:21 PM permalink

faceplam

Why? Serious question? ANY form of law enforcement is by definition "intrusion". Do you not believe in the rule of law?
VCUSkyhawk
VCUSkyhawk
September 30th, 2013 at 7:13:43 PM permalink

-Edited, Overtly Offensive

-Mission146

Sorry admin...it was not meant to be offensive :)
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
September 30th, 2013 at 7:16:13 PM permalink

No, do this instead:

"Cops Get Owned!!! - Epic Pee Prank"

VCUSkyhawk
VCUSkyhawk
September 30th, 2013 at 7:18:31 PM permalink
EPIC! Was that last one in front of a school?
  • Jump to: