terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 80
June 9th, 2013 at 12:11:56 PM permalink
Got a question on tipping. I figure this is a good place to ask since I probably tip more people in vegas then anyplace else.
When eating out I always tip 15 per cent unless its a buffet, then 2 to 3 bucks per person.
My question is what do you tip on take out? Not fast food but take out from sit down restaurants such as Outback ect. Getting the curbside takeaway service today. Bill comes to 25 and change. Plan on giving 28. That's 2 and change tip, think that's fair?
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
June 9th, 2013 at 12:27:31 PM permalink
I'm one of the very few who tip Take Out people. Two and change is just fine.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
June 9th, 2013 at 12:27:55 PM permalink
I tip 20-25% when I sit down at a restaurant, but to be honest, it's never really occurred to me to tip on takeout. Now if they're coming to me (i.e. pizza delivery), that's a different story, but I've never tipped on takeout at a restaurant.
Fighting BS one post at a time!
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
June 9th, 2013 at 12:52:01 PM permalink
2 bucks for a buffet

15% give or take if I wanna round up the dollar amount at a regular place

3 bucks or so for pizza. By the way I used to deliver pizza and it is a rip off how delivery fees work. Only $1 out of $3.50 goes to the driver, and the rest goes to the store. I rarely get it delivered nowadays, I usually carryout which saves me a bundle if I'm only buying 1 pizza.

Never tip takeout. I don't see the point.
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
June 9th, 2013 at 1:24:52 PM permalink
This is a totally arbitrary line, but I tip if the take-out is curbside but not if I need to pick it up from the counter.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
ahiromu
ahiromu
  • Threads: 112
June 9th, 2013 at 1:26:38 PM permalink
I consider myself to be a very, very generous tipper. On the other hand, I refuse on principle to tip on carry-out. They aren't doing dishes, they aren't refilling your water, they aren't bringing you extra condiments. They packaged it, big whoop, so does every fast food that you don't tip. It just doesn't pass the smell test for me to tip on carry-out.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
June 9th, 2013 at 1:34:20 PM permalink
Quote: ahiromu

I consider myself to be a very, very generous tipper. On the other hand, I refuse on principle to tip on carry-out. They aren't doing dishes, they aren't refilling your water, they aren't bringing you extra condiments. They packaged it, big whoop, so does every fast food that you don't tip. It just doesn't pass the smell test for me to tip on carry-out.

Tipping priorities seem to be out of whack for some people. I had a conversation with a co-worker and she said you only tip when you're winning to a dealer. I said you tip regardless, because you're playing there either way. Then we all went to pick up food at Red Robin and she tips the counter. I don't leave a cent and she gets upset. Why am I tipping for a service I didn't receive again?
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 123
June 10th, 2013 at 6:28:44 AM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

This is a totally arbitrary line, but I tip if the take-out is curbside but not if I need to pick it up from the counter.

I tend to agree with that. If the tip would be $2.50-$4.99, I round up to the nearest multiple of $5.00, regardless of the bill. If the result of doing so would be $0.01-$2.49, I just do the multiple of $5.00 thing, and add sufficient singles to make sure the tip is no less than $2.50.
Vultures can't be choosers.
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
June 10th, 2013 at 7:06:46 AM permalink
I hardly tip take out. The price that is indicated on the board is a minimum price, which is the take-out price.

I don't have a problem upping something to the nearest dollar if the person serving me is INCREDIBLY helpful, like giving me extra sauces that s/he should be charging me for, or if s/he manages to get an order up higher in the queue.

Starbucks is the primary example of this. They have a tip jar at the counter for basically doing their job. A barista should be providing you with the same service and same great product everytime with no need to tip. I used to give them whatever's left of a dollar, now I give them nothing -- why is that culture any different than any other take out restaurant?
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 123
June 10th, 2013 at 7:32:29 AM permalink
I don't do coffee shops very often, but when I do, I just go to the nearest dollar that would make the tip $1.00-$1.99.
Vultures can't be choosers.

• Jump to: