RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
October 30th, 2014 at 9:05:38 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

If my wallet gets stolen and my my documentation proving I am a USA citizen is stolen. Bottom line is I cant vote.
I am an American Citizen not born in this country.
My documentation is stolen, I am screwed. I cannot vote due to laws you favor.
Just make the penalties severe and it solves the problem and allows this American citizen the right to vote.

http://www.lawyerscommittee.org/page?id=0046

...I let my drivers license expire. I can't vote UNTIL I GET IT FIXED...

I'm all for the rare situations described above--losing your documents just in time for the election--to be granted a "provisional" ballot that can be ratified within a couple of weeks of the election.

Sorry, if you lose your ID one of the most important things you will be doing is getting it replaced in order to do ANYTHING of consequence...drive, cash checks, etc.

Just another excuse that there is already a solution in place for.
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
October 30th, 2014 at 1:38:46 PM permalink
Again, these laws are fooling no one. And it isn't easy or "free" for everyone to obtain the specified form of ID required by these dumb laws:

Quote:

A disabled woman in Travis County was turned away from voting because she couldn’t afford to pay her parking tickets. An IHOP dishwasher from Mercedes can’t afford the cost of getting a new birth certificate, which he would need to obtain the special photo ID card required for voting. A student at a historically black college in Marshall, who registered some of her fellow students to vote, won't be able to cast a ballot herself because her driver's license isn't from Texas and the state wouldn't accept her student identification card.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/30/texas-voter-id_n_6076536.html

First right-winger who replies to bash HuffPo but completely ignores the contents of story gets a prize!
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 229
October 30th, 2014 at 1:44:12 PM permalink
Quote: ams288

Again, these laws are fooling no one. And it isn't easy or "free" for everyone to obtain the specified form of ID required by these dumb laws:

Quote:

A disabled woman in Travis County was turned away from voting because she couldn’t afford to pay her parking tickets. An IHOP dishwasher from Mercedes can’t afford the cost of getting a new birth certificate, which he would need to obtain the special photo ID card required for voting. A student at a historically black college in Marshall, who registered some of her fellow students to vote, won't be able to cast a ballot herself because her driver's license isn't from Texas and the state wouldn't accept her student identification card.

First right-winger who replies to bash HuffPo but completely ignores the contents of story gets a prize!

1. Then she needs to pay her parking tickets. Or get a non-drivers ID card. Seems to be more to it than this.
2. How did the IHOP dishwasher fill out I-9 if they had no ID?
3. Let the student vote in Texas where they have residency like one is supposed to do, or else get a local drivers license. You see, this is POTENTIAL FRAUD because they could vote in two states if they could use the Student ID.

Seriously, just show ID, everyone has or can easily get it. Liberals are fooling nobody by being against smart laws, they just want to be able to commit voter fraud.

NOTE: I do realize the Democrat Party has a history of suppression of black voters in southern states, but this ended 50 years ago.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
ams288
ams288
October 30th, 2014 at 1:51:39 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Liberals are fooling nobody by being against smart laws, they just want to be able to commit voter fraud.

Again, you can shout this from the rooftops, but you are fooling nobody.

This is why I love this issue.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 30th, 2014 at 3:00:31 PM permalink
delete dupe
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 30th, 2014 at 3:02:00 PM permalink

Again, you can shout this from the rooftops, but you are fooling nobody.

This is why I love this issue.

I don't know why you would love an issue that makes you side look foolish.

I note you forgot how I shot your three examples full of holes in no time flat.
ams288
ams288
October 30th, 2014 at 3:47:25 PM permalink

I note you forgot how I shot your three examples full of holes in no time flat.

Because you didn't shoot them full of holes. Your response makes it seem like you didn't even read the article.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 30th, 2014 at 3:59:02 PM permalink

Because you didn't shoot them full of holes. Your response makes it seem like you didn't even read the article.

I did shoot them full of holes. In each just a sentence or two explains why it was not a valid excuse.

I didn't read the article. I read your examples. I have no need to read an article with a bunch of silly reasons people should be allowed to refuse to show ID at the polls. They are all old, tired, and just reasons to enable voter fraud. They are why your side looks silly to the 70% of people in the USA who favor ID to vote.
ams288
ams288
October 30th, 2014 at 4:00:12 PM permalink
This is like shooting fish in a barrel:

1. Then she needs to pay her parking tickets. Or get a non-drivers ID card. Seems to be more to it than this.

"The low-income woman is on a payment plan with a court to pay off her parking tickets, DeBeauvoir said, and while she’s on the plan, her license is suspended. Now, Madeleine has to quickly get to a driver’s license office to get a voting card. Her disability qualifies her to vote by mail, but she missed that deadline because she didn’t know her license would be denied.

”She’s been voting every year since the day 18-year-olds got the right to vote, and now suddenly she finds out she’s lost her right to vote because of money,” DeBeauvoir said. “If she had money, she could just pay off the tickets [and] vote.”

Quote:

2. How did the IHOP dishwasher fill out I-9 if they had no ID?

Jesus Garcia, 40, was born in Texas. He has his voter card as well as an expired form of photo identification that works just fine for most purposes. But under the Texas law, that isn't enough proof, because his ID has been expired for too long. Getting another form of identification is difficult because his birth certificate, along with his wallet, was stolen about a year ago.

"I'm barely working, I don't have enough money to get my ID," Garcia, who works as a dishwasher at an IHOP restaurant, told HuffPost. He would have to pay roughly $30 to obtain a new copy of his birth certificate and a new card, according to the Brennan Center for Justice. Garcia has made two trips to the Department of Public Safety to obtain an identification card, but has been unsuccessful. He believes the law was passed to make it more difficult for people like him to vote.

"If I had money to go get my birth certificate and all that, I wouldn't be having trouble right now," Garcia said. "But like I said, money's down."

Quote:

3. Let the student vote in Texas where they have residency like one is supposed to do, or else get a local drivers license. You see, this is POTENTIAL FRAUD because they could vote in two states if they could use the Student ID.

She's registered to vote in Texas, not the state her ID is from where she used to live before. In America, you cannot vote where you are not regisitered to vote.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 30th, 2014 at 4:24:25 PM permalink

This is like shooting fish in a barrel:

For me, yes. For you, no. You just post the same silly excuses always given, which boil down to people refusing to get an ID.

Quote:

"The low-income woman is on a payment plan with a court to pay off her parking tickets, DeBeauvoir said, and while she’s on the plan, her license is suspended. Now, Madeleine has to quickly get to a driver’s license office to get a voting card. Her disability qualifies her to vote by mail, but she missed that deadline because she didn’t know her license would be denied.

”She’s been voting every year since the day 18-year-olds got the right to vote, and now suddenly she finds out she’s lost her right to vote because of money,” DeBeauvoir said. “If she had money, she could just pay off the tickets [and] vote.”

And I simply ask, "why did she refuse to pay her parking tickets?" Ever hear "ignorance of the law is no excuse?" There were procedures to let her get a new ID card or vote by mail. She missed both deadlines. BOO HOO HOO. Perhaps next time she will park in a legal zone, pay her tickets, or request a ballot in time.

VOTER SUPPRESSION? Not one bit!

Quote:

Jesus Garcia, 40, was born in Texas. He has his voter card as well as an expired form of photo identification that works just fine for most purposes. But under the Texas law, that isn't enough proof, because his ID has been expired for too long. Getting another form of identification is difficult because his birth certificate, along with his wallet, was stolen about a year ago.

"I'm barely working, I don't have enough money to get my ID," Garcia, who works as a dishwasher at an IHOP restaurant, told HuffPost. He would have to pay roughly $30 to obtain a new copy of his birth certificate and a new card, according to the Brennan Center for Justice. Garcia has made two trips to the Department of Public Safety to obtain an identification card, but has been unsuccessful. He believes the law was passed to make it more difficult for people like him to vote.

"If I had money to go get my birth certificate and all that, I wouldn't be having trouble right now," Garcia said. "But like I said, money's down."

So, all he has to do is pay $30 and it is taken care of. He will need the ID to do everything from drive to get cold medicine to open a bank account. He let his ID expire. Hence it meets my statement, HE HAS OR CAN EASILY GET ID! If he wants to never change jobs and live in the underground economy because he refuses to cough up $30 is up to him.

VOTER SUPPRESSION? Not one bit!

Quote:

She's registered to vote in Texas, not the state her ID is from where she used to live before. In America, you cannot vote where you are not regisitered to vote.

Then she needs to get a Texas ID. Student IDs are not secure like state-issued ones are. And they do not prove residency as they generally have no expiration date. If she wants to vote in Texas she needs to do what responsible adults do, surrender her ID from the other state and get one for Texas. IOW, SHE HAS OR CAN EASILY GET ID! Laziness is not an excuse for not getting an ID.

VOTER SUPPRESSION? Not one bit!--though I will say again this is the perfect example of why we need ID laws as otherwise she could easily vote in two states.

• Jump to: