Fuengirola2
Fuengirola2
  • Threads: 10
February 22nd, 2013 at 9:43:19 AM permalink
We often gamble with my brothers and friends to see who stays the longest in a hot sauna, and the winner wins usually some alcohol beverages. The starting temperature is always 200+ Fahrenheits, and water is thrown into stove regularly. Others who have this same habit? Are there other Finns in this forum?
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
February 22nd, 2013 at 9:51:03 AM permalink
Quote: Fuengirola2

We often gamble with my brothers and friends who stays the longest in a hot sauna, and the winner wins usually some alcohol beverages. The starting temperature is always 200+ Fahrenheits, and water is thrown into stove regularly. Others who have this same habit? Are there other Finns in this forum?

Oh, man! I think you're out of my league. I know that I'm usually dehydrated after a sauna. What happens when the alcohol is consumed? the winner must get very drunk:-)
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
February 22nd, 2013 at 5:38:08 PM permalink
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Sauna_Championships.

Somehow I don't think the Wizard would like this bet very much :)
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
February 22nd, 2013 at 5:45:28 PM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

Oh, man! I think you're out of my league. I know that I'm usually dehydrated after a sauna. What happens when the alcohol is consumed? the winner must get very drunk:-)

Or very dead.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
dwheatley
dwheatley
  • Threads: 25
February 22nd, 2013 at 6:09:52 PM permalink
The Scandinavians are nuts about their saunas. And subsequent ice baths. We have Nordic spas around, you pay a lot of money to go from very hot to very cold conditions. Invigorating.

200 F+? Yikes.
Wisdom is the quality that keeps you out of situations where you would otherwise need it
montyace
montyace
  • Threads: 3
February 22nd, 2013 at 9:07:13 PM permalink
When sitting next to your buddy in your 200+ Fahrenheit sauna blow gently on his arm and watch his reaction... Funny as hell... but remember he will do it back, but not so gently that’s for sure...!!!
A Riddle Wrapped In A Mystery Inside An Enigma
rudeboyoi
rudeboyoi
  • Threads: 27
February 22nd, 2013 at 9:29:14 PM permalink
is consciousness part of the win condition?

closest prop bet i ever made to this was who could stand on hot concrete barefooted around a pool the longest.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
February 23rd, 2013 at 2:29:38 AM permalink
Quote: Fuengirola2

We often gamble with my brothers and friends to see who stays the longest in a hot sauna, and the winner wins usually some alcohol beverages. The starting temperature is always 200+ Fahrenheits, and water is thrown into stove regularly. Others who have this same habit? Are there other Finns in this forum?

There is one Finnish American for every 6 people in Finland, a lot fewer than 1 Swedish American for every 2 people in Sweden. We had a family friend who grew up in Finland, and persuaded my family to get a Sauna, but we don't normally torture ourselves.

I visited Finland in 1987 shortly after Gorbachev came to power in Russia. At the time they seemed very preoccupied with the fact that many Americans thought that Finland was part of USSR. Movies like "White Nights" where Helsinki was used as a stand in for Moscow didn't help.
MaShuai
MaShuai
  • Threads: 7
February 23rd, 2013 at 2:33:19 AM permalink
Dying in a sauna competition... I can think of better ways to go.
You got to play the hand that's dealt you, that's what the old man always said.
  • Jump to: