Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 180
December 9th, 2012 at 6:37:48 PM permalink
+30 pounds in 53 days... wow. I don't think I could do that if I tried. Or, the ONLY way I could do it would be by trying to do it.

Speaking as someone who has lost and regained many times in my life, pounds go back on insidiously. They don't go back on daily, they go back on monthly. I recently lost 40 pounds, and gained back about 8 of those. It took three months to gain those back.

I have my reservations that this would be a good bet. I didn't take the first bet, and I definitely wouldn't take this one.

I was looking through the original thread, where EB wrote

Quote:

Every single person I've known in my life who
loses a good amount of weight, thinks its
permanent. They think they won't gain it back,
losing it was so easy. And every single one of
them gains it back.

Regarding EvenBob's statement, there is much, much more to why people are overweight than diet and exercise and willpower. The New England Journal of Medicine's comparative study of diets showed that they were essentially all the same in their effectiveness... but buried in the study is also the result that

1) The study only followed people for two years, not five, but already saw weight regain in almost all participants. Nor were they surprised. The researchers said that they chose a two-year period because “weight loss typically is greatest 6 to 12 months after initiation of the diet, with steady regain of weight subsequently.”

2) About half the participants who completed the study ended up weighing more than baseline at the two-year mark.

3) Participants in every group were on average eating FEWER calories at the two-year mark, when they were regaining, than they were at the six-month mark, when they were still losing weight.

(Bullet points from All diets work the same: poorly)

All that is a tangental issue to the subject at hand, but I think it is also relevant. It puts the regaining of weight into a context, and gives a general time frame in which it happens. 30 pounds in 53 days, that's not really a normal regaining.
NO KILL I
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
December 9th, 2012 at 6:43:40 PM permalink
Quote: Face

'Cause DT has been wonderfully devoid of nonsense and drama? =)

Well, it's mostly devoid of everything else as well.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 325
December 9th, 2012 at 6:55:16 PM permalink
If you gullible gamblers buy into HB's little game again, she'll clean your clocks one more time.

She has great motivation: MONEY.

Then, she'll trot it out again a few months later.

With people like you to pay her thousands of dollars over and over, she'll be on easy street.
"What, me worry?"
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 180
December 9th, 2012 at 6:57:58 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Well, it's mostly devoid of everything else as well.

Yeah, it should be better. I love "Fishing with Face", "Spanish Word of the Day", "What's up with the Steelers?" (they stink), and "Cooking thread". I don't have a lot to add these days, but whatcha gonna do. You write where you think people are going to read.

I'm surprised that DT got split off, to the detriment of the health of both groups. Studies show that participants in online groups want to discuss topics other than the main topic. Even among the hard core gamblers here, threads invariably drift. Groups are held together by the people, not by the topic.
NO KILL I
aceofspades
aceofspades
  • Threads: 366
December 9th, 2012 at 7:10:45 PM permalink
Give me some money too I am 5'11'' 240 pounds! lol
NicksGamingStuff
NicksGamingStuff
  • Threads: 48
December 9th, 2012 at 8:10:44 PM permalink
A money challenge does always interest this group of people, why don't we focus on Mikes Stratosphere stair climb? That $ goes to charity,
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
December 9th, 2012 at 8:40:05 PM permalink
Quote: aceofspades

Give me some money too I am 5'11'' 240 pounds! lol

not funny Aces. Give your heart a break and drop some of that weight !
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
December 10th, 2012 at 1:42:46 AM permalink
The Wizard wanted this new challenge on his other site but acquiesced to the two principals involved. There's still time to reconsider but don't expect anyone who craves attention to agree and isn't that what this is really about?

Nick has a great alternative idea regarding the Stratosphere climb. Bets can still be made and everyone can feel good about where the money ends up. It's a win win without the bad taste in anyone's mouth.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
  • Threads: 7
December 10th, 2012 at 5:14:37 AM permalink
Quote: 1BB

Nick has a great alternative idea regarding the Stratosphere climb. Bets can still be made and everyone can feel good about where the money ends up. It's a win win without the bad taste in anyone's mouth.

I'm still thinking about starting the Hot Buzz Challenge but can't think of a way to get anyone to want to watch a weigh-in. He shouldn't have mentioned the word "Speedo" earlier...
Each of us is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts. Preparing for a fight about your bad decision is not as smart as making a good decision.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 112
December 10th, 2012 at 5:41:30 AM permalink
Quote: NicksGamingStuff

I take it nobody likes my idea of having the HB Challenge be a donation to charity rather than paying for her purple action on the table. (or so I heard?)

I think that is a great idea. if you recall, my winnings (which of course turned into losings) from HBC1 was earmarked for the ADA. If you can convince HB to have all money up for grabs go to a charity... good luck! I'd say your chances of hitting the megamillions jackpot are greater..... and you don't play it...

• Jump to: