Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1382
December 10th, 2012 at 4:12:47 PM permalink
It look we'll have five months of fun in this thread then! My finger is already on the "ban" button.

It isn't that I don't trust you, but it would be nice for the benefit of the forum if you could post an unedited video of you holding a current newspaper and then stepping on a scale. My brother in Long Beach can also testify as to your starting weight, if you have any reason to head down that way.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
DorothyGale
DorothyGale
  • Threads: 40
December 10th, 2012 at 4:17:22 PM permalink
Quote: HotBlonde

It looks like the Wizard and SOOPOO may be the only two betting against me

Who would wager on someone's survival if they were to go to battle, or on the outcome of a life-saving surgery, or if some gay co-ed would attempt suicide if sufficiently badgered? At some point, wagers become obscene, and a decent person would not consider such a wager ... Wizard, have you truly considered the ethical consequences of your financial engagement with this individual by wagering on her physical health, when her mental health is so unclear? You are old enough to know better, Mr. W. ... if you want, we can bet on an over/under for Mandela to live.

--Ms. D.
"Who would have thought a good little girl like you could destroy my beautiful wickedness!"
SOOPOO
SOOPOO 
  • Threads: 111
December 10th, 2012 at 4:24:57 PM permalink
Quote: DorothyGale

At what point, I wonder, does a wager become obscene? For example, who would wager on someone's survival if they were to go to battle, or on the outcome of a life-saving surgery, or if some gay co-ed would attempt suicide if sufficiently badgered? At some point, wagers become obscene, and a decent person would not consider such a wager ... Wizard, have you truly considered the ethical consequences of your financial engagement with this individual by wagering on her physical health, when her mental health is so unclear?

--Ms. D.

I understand your concerns.... but in THIS case, NOT wagering has let HB start on a RIDICULOUSLY unhealthy lifestyle, gaining 35 pounds or so in less than two months! So, Dorothy, what do you think will happen to HB if this bet doesn't go through? I can't say for sure either way... and neither can you... I can only say for sure that she was likely at her healthiest at the end of HBC1. It is not like she starved herself... she had a well thought out diet and exercise plan... and it worked... I think the same thing may happen again... I would say to you, DG, what are the ethical consequences of NOT giving this soul the incentive she needs to start eating healthy and exercising again?
MakingBook
MakingBook
  • Threads: 24
December 10th, 2012 at 4:28:05 PM permalink
At 181.2 pounds, the only thing she is starving for is attention.
"I am a man devoured by the passion for gambling." --Dostoevsky, 1871
tsmith
tsmith
  • Threads: 19
December 10th, 2012 at 4:35:30 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

NOT wagering has let HB start on a RIDICULOUSLY unhealthy lifestyle ...

So what are you going to do, keep throwing money at her until she learns how to eat like a normal human being?

she had a well thought out diet and exercise plan... and it worked... I think the same thing may happen again...

... and again and again and again and again ...

Apparently HB's incentive lasts only as long as the money does. As I said before, if she put one-tenth as much thought into a healthy maintenance plan as she does into these weight-dropping marathons, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I hope since there are only two of you in this silly wager this time -- and that's two too many AFAIC -- that you can keep it to a PM discussion and not bother the rest of us with it any more.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO 
  • Threads: 111
December 10th, 2012 at 4:39:17 PM permalink
Quote: tsmith

I hope since there are only two of you in this silly wager this time -- and that's two too many AFAIC -- that you can keep it to a PM discussion and not bother the rest of us with it any more.

If you are bothered by this thread... DO NOT READ IT!!!! I mean, seriously, if it bothers you why do you continually read it, and continually comment? I am sure there are many (most) of the members who have no interest... so THEY DO NOT READ IT! I can assure you I don't open threads that do not interest me to tell the posters I am not interested!!!!
Quite pathetic of you, actually....
DorothyGale
DorothyGale
December 10th, 2012 at 4:39:39 PM permalink

what are the ethical consequences of NOT giving this soul the incentive she needs to start eating healthy and exercising again?

In other words, you believe HB is so unable to care for herself, so inadequate at the basic tools for eating right and exercising, that her only possible way to health is to put herself in the spotlight in the midst of a group of people, many of whom she knows in advance do not like her, and that you, by understanding all of this, believe you are doing an act of generosity and kindness by motivating her through this co-dependent wagering-relationship the two of you have, and that you also believe that it is better to lose and gain and lose (again) weight at light-speed than to get counseling for underlying issues and let the weight follow ... and ... and ... really?

The single best service YOU could do to HB is to refuse her bet and encourage her to get counseling ... same for Mr. W. ... put pressure on her to do something that matters ... something that could really aid her health ... instead of betting on her ... it's obscene, it's shameful ... shame ...

-- Ms. D.
"Who would have thought a good little girl like you could destroy my beautiful wickedness!"
DorothyGale
DorothyGale
December 10th, 2012 at 4:42:33 PM permalink

Quite pathetic of you, actually....

It is not pathetic to actually care for a person ... instead of wagering, like you, on the pendulum of their psychological imbalance ... shame ...

-- Ms. D.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1382
December 10th, 2012 at 4:48:54 PM permalink
Quote: DorothyGale

Wizard, have you truly considered the ethical consequences of your financial engagement with this individual by wagering on her physical health, when her mental health is so unclear? You are old enough to know better, Mr. W. ....

Be careful there, Dorothy. Who holds in his hands your chances of getting back home?

First, I already offered the wager, and I'm not going to reneg on it. Maybe criticism is fair for offering in the first place, which I'll accept.

Second, those who know me well can attest that I'll be on almost anything. However, I have declined to wager on things that I thought would incentivize bad behavior or were in very bad taste. Let's look at your examples:

Q: For example, who would wager on someone's survival if they were to go to battle?

Only in a situation where I was basically offering life insurance to the one going into battle, which is a legitimate service. For entertainment purposes, I draw the line at betting on people dying.

Q: or on the outcome of a life-saving surgery?

See above. I asked a doctor once if surgeons ever gamble on the outcome of very dicey surguries. He said they often will bet a Coke, or something like that. I could see doing that.

Q: or if some gay co-ed would attempt suicide if sufficiently badgered?

Absolutely not.

Q: if you want, we can bet on an over/under for Mandela to live

Nah, unless he asked me to.

Third, I'm betting to incentivize HB to LOSE weight. Health is very correlated to low body weight. Buzz just pointed out the heart has to work a lot harder to lug around a lot of extra pounds, which is true. I wouldn't be working out every day if I didn't believe that. My weight would be pushing 200 if I didn't. Despite what some have suggested, I higly doubt HB put on all that weight to win $750. Whatever her demons are, and we all have some, I think she will be happier and more confident at a healthy body weight.

I bet against people to lose weight and quit smoking all the time. A friend of mine is quitting smoking on 1/1/13 and I have a $500 bet he won't last a year. I hope to lose that bet, and that my wager motivates him to stick with it. Same thing with HB. I hope to lose the bet and see her healthier and happier in May.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
tsmith
tsmith
  • Threads: 19
December 10th, 2012 at 4:54:08 PM permalink
I keep reading and commenting because I can't wait to hear the next rationalization for what you're doing and if I'm at all pathetic it's because I keep pathetically hoping to make you realize that you're being irrational with your defense of someone who only contacts you when it suits her purposes or when she needs you to front one of her ridiculous money-making schemes.

I find it rather ironic that it is two men who are in HB's corner, egging her on, while two women are trying desperately to make you see how wrong this whole thing is.

• Jump to: