Thread Rating:

LarryS
LarryS
  • Threads: 67
March 14th, 2014 at 12:26:26 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

I don't even buy that it is diet or obesity. I feel the issue is that we have an attitude of "insurance covers it" so people are not careful shoppers and consumers. Ask your doctor's office what a test costs and they cannot tell you! If we got pricing transparent we would get somewhere.

Not really in my opinion.

The african american community is high with undiagnosed hypertension . Most of these people have healthcare or free healthcare.

Look at the lines at the welfare office, All those people have free medical care....and most are a ticking timebomb, obese with untreated hypertension, diabetes, heart disease., high cholesterol./every walk of life and color

Its a laziness. Not wanting to cook, not wanting to parent your children, not wanting to exercise. Its easier to get KFC for your kid and have him eat it in front of the computer at home. A parent who feeds kids chips ,and fast food, and lets him sit all weekend in front of a tv and computer getting fat....is not thinking about health consequences and how healthcare will take care of their child if the kid gets a heart attack......they just dont care altogehter...they are fat and lazy themselves. And they raise fat and lazy children. And fat and lazy dont win out against competition in getting a job.

There is more education out there than there ever was. YOu can get information on being healthy on the internet at the touch of a keybord key. Ther have been shows on tv over the last 20 years on healthy lifestyle on OPRAH, Dr Oz,, and similar shows. Schools teach healthy lifestyle. You just have to be lazy to raise obese children, and allow yourself to become obese.(there are very rare glandular issues that can cause obesity and Iam not talking about them)

people on food stamps can buy unhealthy food, They can sit home and watch cable TV paid for by their welfare check, and eat chips and drink soda and get fat.
In my opinion they doit out of laziness...andnot the idea that the medical profession will fix them if they break. They dont even think that far ahead. Its just all about instant gratification TODAY. SCREW TOMORROW.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
March 14th, 2014 at 5:35:35 PM permalink
Quote: Dalex64

Insurance companies are not going to pay for the medical care, the people who have insurance are.

That is far too broad. The reality is "SOME OF the people who have insurance" are going to pay for the medical care. Millions will not pay for their care, certainly not anywhere near what it costs.

If people who can not afford it are not going to be turned away from medical care, what is the most fair way to pay for it?

No one in the United States is "turned away from medical care."
LarryS
LarryS
March 14th, 2014 at 6:27:48 PM permalink
Quote: SanchoPanza

Insurance companies are not going to pay for the medical care, the people who have insurance are.

That is far too broad. The reality is "SOME OF the people who have insurance" are going to pay for the medical care. Millions will not pay for their care, certainly not anywhere near what it costs.
No one in the United States is "turned away from medical care."

there are people in this world that are too big a risk for insurance company to allow car insurance policies. If car insurers had to accept everyone and at the same rate of premium...then EVERYONES premiums would be higher due to the assumption of great risk.

Same for health insurance. Health insurance companies will be accepting the highest risk people for the same premiums you and I pay. What do you think that is gonna do for the collective premiums? For the collective deductables, for the collective copays.

so we ALL pay for obamacare through increased premiums/deductables/copays.

thats what it means when people say that we all will pay for obamacare,

Over the last 30 years me and my employer have payed about 300,000 in premiums for me and my family. So far luckily I havent used more that 20 percent of that.
Will i exceed the remaing 240.000 k? I put in???? who knows.

But I do know going foward over the next 20 years if I live that long I will put in another 200,000......and I will pay more ..most likely becauseobamacare will make sure my rates go up.and my copays and my deductables.....so that EVERYONE CAN STEP RIGHT UP AND BUY MY SAME POLICY

that leaves about half a million for me to exceed. in order for me to exceed what i putin
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
March 17th, 2014 at 5:38:22 AM permalink
Liberal state realizes single payer system not affordable.

How can this be? I thought single payer was rainbows and unicorns and you got all the care you needed or wanted cheaper than we pay now?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
March 17th, 2014 at 12:13:32 PM permalink

Liberal state realizes single payer system not affordable.

How can this be? I thought single payer was rainbows and unicorns and you got all the care you needed or wanted cheaper than we pay now?

Well duh we just tax rich people and business owners more, since they should pay their fair share. Nevermind the unemployed and welfare queens, they need our health care!
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
March 19th, 2014 at 12:33:03 AM permalink
Obamacare leaves Las Vegas man owing $407,000 in doctor bills

Hate to sound harsh, but if this guy voted for Obama, it's hard to have any sympathy for him!!
Fighting BS one post at a time!
Dalex64
Dalex64
  • Threads: 1
March 19th, 2014 at 11:25:43 AM permalink
Quote: Beethoven9th

[/link=http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/obamacare-leaves-las-vegas-man-owing-407000-doctor-bills]Obamacare leaves Las Vegas man owing $407,000 in doctor bills

Hate to sound harsh, but if this guy voted for Obama, it's hard to have any sympathy for him!!

It sounds to me it is more like big-business insurance companies trying to weasel out of their responsibilities.

Before Obamacare and the health care exchanges, would this person have even tried to buy insurance? If no, he is in the same boat he would have been in if he hadn't bought insurance.

The thing is, though, it looks like he did buy insurance. He signed up for something, and they started accepting his payments.

It seems to me to be a case of corporate greed, rather than the mess of the exchanges and Obamacare.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
March 19th, 2014 at 11:42:31 AM permalink

It seems to me to be a case of corporate greed, rather than the mess of the exchanges and Obamacare.

Not so sure there. Obama ran on a promise that this kind of thing could not happen. His fellow members of the Democrat Party ran on his coattails. Logically the exchanges should have vetted participating insurers before they would be allowed to be listed.

But the bottom line is if Obama wants to brag about "people who never had insurance now being insured," if he wants to brag that "people can no longer be tied to a job because of health insurance," well then he can take the blame when his program gets results like this.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
March 19th, 2014 at 11:57:19 AM permalink

What do you think Obamacare is? It's the INSURANCE
COMPANIES! Obamacare is just an insurance broker,
it accepts no money and pays none out. It's in cahoots
with all the insurance companies, it promised them big
profits if they went along with what this fisaco.

Of course it's corporate greed.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Dalex64
Dalex64
March 19th, 2014 at 12:03:26 PM permalink

But the bottom line is if Obama wants to brag about "people who never had insurance now being insured," if he wants to brag that "people can no longer be tied to a job because of health insurance," well then he can take the blame when his program gets results like this.

Fair enough.
LarryS
LarryS
March 19th, 2014 at 12:58:24 PM permalink
Quote: Beethoven9th

Obamacare leaves Las Vegas man owing $407,000 in doctor bills

This situation reminds me of the type of stories the dems would trot out before obmacare. You know the story of the guy who has to sell his house in order to pay for the wifes chemotherapy. But supposedly with obamacare all this will go away.

I dont see the govt forcing companies to give flood coverage to people in flood zones.

If the govt wants to help those people out, thats fine with me. If they get flooded and lose their homes, and the govt wants to give those people assistance....thats fine. But dont force my insurance company to raise my rates and deductables by forcing that coverage.

But in medical care those tear jerker stories will still happen with obamacare. As companies stop providing medical coverage as a benefit, and instead sends people to exchanges....there will be people who will gamble when they have to physically write a check. When its taken out of a paycheck...thats one thing. But to take the money out of your checking account...well there is always something better to spend that money on. How many people are driving without car insurance right now just because of that same logic....they have to write the check...and after a while they seem to forget about writing that check.

Remember we are dealing with the same people who believed that they could afford mortgages that reasonable people would know was out of their reach. When the govt got involved in telling banks to loosen their requirements for qualification.......we got the housing industry meltdown......and now the the govt is getting into directing the medical insurance industry.......get ready for similar results.
Dalex64
Dalex64
March 19th, 2014 at 1:16:02 PM permalink
The government required banks to loosen their qualifications?

I thought the industry demanded deregulation, then made a whole lot of bad loans and packaged them all together and sold them.
timberjim
timberjim
  • Threads: 33
March 19th, 2014 at 1:37:34 PM permalink

I thought the industry demanded deregulation, then made a whole lot of bad loans and packaged them all together and sold them.

Nope. Not to derail this thread, but in a nutshell, lenders were required to lower their standards or be charged with discrimination. Income and credit worthiness became much less important. Instead of the standard 20% down payment needed, lenders started offering loans in excess of 100% of the value.

The feds then bought all this bad paper, so the lenders, builders, and developers were given a guaranteed (by the taxpayer) return. They churned out as much product as fast as they could. There was no where to go but the collapse.

By the way, I have worked in various facets of the development business since the 80s.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
March 19th, 2014 at 1:40:48 PM permalink

That Las Vegas guy didn't get screwed by Obamacare, he got screwed by Xerox. One way or another, that guy's bypass is going to be covered hopefully sooner rather than later. In other news, the guy had affordable health insurance thanks to Obamacare
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
LarryS
LarryS
March 19th, 2014 at 1:46:28 PM permalink
Quote: timberjim

Nope. Not to derail this thread, but in a nutshell, lenders were required to lower their standards or be charged with discrimination. Income and credit worthiness became much less important. Instead of the standard 20% down payment needed, lenders started offering loans in excess of 100% of the value.

The feds then bought all this bad paper, so the lenders, builders, and developers were given a guaranteed (by the taxpayer) return. They churned out as much product as fast as they could. There was no where to go but the collapse.

By the way, I have worked in various facets of the development business since the 80s.

You are correct. And its not derailing the thread because it shows what can happen when the govt gets involved.

obamacare is doing the same thing to the healthcare system as it did to the banking system/
Dalex64
Dalex64
March 19th, 2014 at 1:54:25 PM permalink
I have been unable to find references to bankers being forced to accept loans in a manner in which you describe.

Some places I checked -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subprime_mortgage_crisis

http://www.investopedia.com/university/credit-crisis/credit-crisis4.asp

http://banking.about.com/od/mortgages/a/mortgagecrisis.htm

They all seem to agree that loans were given out too easily, but none of them indicate the cause of this was the government telling the banks that they had to make these loans.

If you could show me some links to some articles explaining that the government forced banks to make these loans, I would appreciate it. It would be very enlightening.
LarryS
LarryS
March 19th, 2014 at 2:04:31 PM permalink

I have been unable to find references to bankers being forced to accept loans in a manner in which you describe.

Some places I checked -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subprime_mortgage_crisis

http://www.investopedia.com/university/credit-crisis/credit-crisis4.asp

http://banking.about.com/od/mortgages/a/mortgagecrisis.htm

They all seem to agree that loans were given out too easily, but none of them indicate the cause of this was the government telling the banks that they had to make these loans.

If you could show me some links to some articles explaining that the government forced banks to make these loans, I would appreciate it. It would be very enlightening.

http://www.aei.org/outlook/economics/financial-services/housing-finance/free-fall-how-government-policies-brought-down-the-housing-market

just google mortgage meltdown government involvement
Dalex64
Dalex64
March 19th, 2014 at 2:29:17 PM permalink
Quote: LarryS

http://www.aei.org/outlook/economics/financial-services/housing-finance/free-fall-how-government-policies-brought-down-the-housing-market

just google mortgage meltdown government involvement

I googled exactly that. The first link is Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_policies_and_the_subprime_mortgage_crisis

I won't claim that Wikipedia by itself is unbiased and always accurate, but I think it usually does a reasonable job of presenting several sides of an argument, and backs up most of them with sources.

These two paragraphs I think accurately represent the basis of my understanding of the situation:

Quote:

The Financial Crisis Inquiry Commission issued three concluding documents in January 2011: 1) The FCIC "conclusions" or report from the six Democratic Commissioners; 2) a "dissenting statement" from the three Republican Commissioners; and 3) a second "dissenting statement" from Commissioner Peter Wallison. Both the Democratic majority conclusions and Republican minority dissenting statement, representing the views of nine of the ten commissioners, concluded that government housing policies had little to do with the crisis. The majority report stated that Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac "were not a primary cause of the crisis" and that the Community Reinvestment Act "was not a significant factor in subprime lending or the crisis."[1] The three Republican authors of their dissenting statement wrote: "Credit spreads declined not just for housing, but also for other asset classes like commercial real estate. This tells us to look to the credit bubble as an essential cause of the U.S. housing bubble. It also tells us that problems with U.S. housing policy or markets do not by themselves explain the U.S. housing bubble."[1]
However, Commissioner Wallison's dissenting statement did place the blame squarely on government housing policies, which in his view contributed to an excessive number of high-risk mortgages: "...I believe that the sine qua non of the financial crisis was U.S. government housing policy, which led to the creation of 27 million subprime and other risky loans—half of all mortgages in the United States—which were ready to default as soon as the massive 1997-2007 housing bubble began to deflate. If the U.S. government had not chosen this policy path—fostering the growth of a bubble of unprecedented size and an equally unprecedented number of weak and high risk residential mortgages—the great financial crisis of 2008 would never have occurred."[1]

In that, you have 9 people out of 10 agreeing that government housing policies had little to do with the crisis.

The article you linked for me does support the idea that the government facilitated the issuing of bad loans.

There are certainly multiple contributing causes to the financial meltdown. It is a matter of differing opinion by many people as to which of those factors are most significant.

Anyway, there it is.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
March 19th, 2014 at 2:45:37 PM permalink
Quote: s2dbaker

That Las Vegas guy didn't get screwed by Obamacare, he got screwed by Xerox. One way or another, that guy's bypass is going to be covered hopefully sooner rather than later. In other news, the guy had affordable health insurance thanks to Obamacare

Obamacare is so good that almost 3% of the population has signed up!
timberjim
timberjim
  • Threads: 33
March 19th, 2014 at 2:45:52 PM permalink

I googled exactly that. The first link is Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_policies_and_the_subprime_mortgage_crisis

I won't claim that Wikipedia by itself is unbiased and always accurate, but I think it usually does a reasonable job of presenting several sides of an argument, and backs up most of them with sources.

These two paragraphs I think accurately represent the basis of my understanding of the situation:

In that, you have 9 people out of 10 agreeing that government housing policies had little to do with the crisis.

The article you linked for me does support the idea that the government facilitated the issuing of bad loans.

There are certainly multiple contributing causes to the financial meltdown. It is a matter of differing opinion by many people as to which of those factors are most significant.

Anyway, there it is.

9 out of 10 government appointed beaurcrats decided govenment policies did not impact this crisis.

Case solved.

Anyway, there it is!
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
March 19th, 2014 at 2:55:14 PM permalink

Obamacare is so good that almost 3% of the population has signed up!

And 25% of them haven't paid yet, and another
20% will stop paying after they find out what pure
crap it is. Killer out of pocket expenses, many
meds aren't covered, etc.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
LarryS
LarryS
March 20th, 2014 at 8:17:31 AM permalink
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/20/cvs-health-screening_n_4986861.html#slide=2242189

the cvs story is interesting...but click on the mcdonalds section to see what obamacare will really cost to society...higher prices and lost full time jobs
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
March 20th, 2014 at 9:09:09 AM permalink

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/20/cvs-health-screening_n_4986861.html#slide=2242189

the cvs story is interesting...but click on the mcdonalds section to see what obamacare will really cost to society...higher prices and lost full time jobs

Remind me of "Animal Farm" where there was "voluntary" additional work but any animal that did not take part had their food ration cut by half.

Just imagine if we get stuck with single-payer and have to submit to this kind of thing just by virtue of being alive.
LarryS
LarryS
March 20th, 2014 at 9:48:46 AM permalink
even more interesting, is below the story there are ceos from other companies comments on obamacare

the guy from Hardees says he will use cheaper ingredients and open less stores to pay for obamacare.....what a moron for announcing it....lots of companies are going to quiertly do that exact thing....but they arent going to announce it,

Pappa Johns Ceo says obamacare will effect the cost of pizza by 14 cents each

its gonna be costly to society....in everything we buy.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
March 21st, 2014 at 6:47:41 AM permalink
After Obama filled out a 'March Madness' bracket, candidate Ben Sasse is poking him for his 'Constitutional Madness'

A "Constitutional Madness" bracket...hilarious! lol
chickenman
chickenman
  • Threads: 3
March 21st, 2014 at 7:35:54 AM permalink
Good one!
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
March 21st, 2014 at 3:26:07 PM permalink
Check it out y'all. Matt Drudge paid his Obamacare Liberty Tax a full year early!! What a patriot!
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
March 21st, 2014 at 6:37:05 PM permalink

Check it out y'all. Matt Drudge paid his Obamacare Liberty Tax a full year early!! What a patriot!

Actually, no.

As a self-employed person, Matt is subject to quarterly payments, which collect Obamacare now.
Dalex64
Dalex64
March 21st, 2014 at 7:53:57 PM permalink
Shows how many people don't look before they leap.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
March 21st, 2014 at 8:08:51 PM permalink

Actually, no.

As a self-employed person, Matt is subject to quarterly payments, which collect Obamacare now.

That's hilarious! They can't even admit that they got caught lying. The due date for taxes, even if you have to pay quarterly is April 15. So at the very least, taking his lying words at face value, Drudge is paying all of his estimated taxes nearly a month early. What a turkey!
LarryS
LarryS
March 21st, 2014 at 8:16:09 PM permalink

Actually, no.

That's hilarious! They can't even admit that they got caught lying. The due date for taxes, even if you have to pay quarterly is April 15. So at the very least, taking his lying words at face value, Drudge is paying all of his estimated taxes nearly a month early. What a turkey!

how can you assume he is paying anything. If he is getting a refund he can pay his penalty by getting less in his return.

If he is getting money back..he can do both...he can pay his penelty and as soon a possible send it in.

whats the big deal...where is the lie
Dalex64
Dalex64
March 21st, 2014 at 9:33:20 PM permalink
Quote:

how can you assume he is paying anything. If he is getting a refund he can pay his penalty by getting less in his return.

If he is getting money back..he can do both...he can pay his penelty and as soon a possible send it in.

I think some of you are confusing two tax years.

His 2013 taxes are due Apr 15. He may or may not be getting a refund. There is no obamacare penalty for this tax year.

His first quarterly tax payment for tax year 2014 is also due apr 15. Only a quarter of his estimated taxes are due then. You do not get estimated quarterly refunds. So he is paying a quarter of his obamacare penalty.

There were no lies. He is paying at least part of his obamacare penalty for the 2014 tax year, which for most other people will be due in 2015

The big stink is people are accusing him of lying, since no obamacare tax is due for his 2013 taxes, which is true. What they failed to understand is that he is paying part of his 2014 taxes.

I don't think it matters at all that he is paying a month early. I never wait until the last minute either.

I might be mistaken when quarterly taxes are due. Perhaps they are due at the end of the first quarter, which is the end of this month.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
March 21st, 2014 at 11:54:54 PM permalink

Does s2dbaker even read what he quotes??? I think not.

FYI, s2, Drudge tweeted about PAYING the Obamcare penalty. He said nothing about the due date for his quarterly taxes. Duh!
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
March 21st, 2014 at 11:57:48 PM permalink

I might be mistaken when quarterly taxes are due. Perhaps they are due at the end of the first quarter, which is the end of this month.

Deadlines for quarterly payments for 2014 are: April 15, June 16, September 15, and January 15.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
March 22nd, 2014 at 3:57:01 AM permalink

If he pays his taxes quarterly, how is he going to get a refund? Drudge hasn't paid anything for tax year 2014 yet (2014 is when the Liberty Tax takes effect). You can't get a refund from the government for taxes that you haven't paid. People who owe taxes to the government do not pay three weeks early, especially an Obama-hater like Drudge. He's either a liar or stupid, probably both.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
March 22nd, 2014 at 4:25:10 AM permalink

If he pays his taxes quarterly, how is he going to get a refund?

Do you know what the word "estimated" means in "estimated taxes"? If he has overpaid after making all of his quarterly payments, then he will get a refund. Duh!

People who owe taxes to the government do not pay three weeks early, especially an Obama-hater like Drudge. He's either a liar or stupid, probably both.

It's pretty obviously that you either have never run a business before or don't know what you're talking about. Probably both!
Dalex64
Dalex64
March 22nd, 2014 at 5:13:18 AM permalink

People who owe taxes to the government do not pay three weeks early, especially an Obama-hater like Drudge. He's either a liar or stupid, probably both.

That is an opinion, and it is difficult to argue with an opinion. Since I don't know for a fact that Drudge has done what he has said, I will instead offer a counterexample and opinions of my own:

I, personally, have paid my taxes early. Usually 2 to 4 weeks early, if memory serves.

I am not a liar (on this statement about when I have paid my taxes, at least) and I am not stupid.

I have no proof or citations that I am not a liar and am not stupid.

It is my opinion that Drudge is telling the truth, and has made an estimated 2014 tax payment, which includes part or all of the penalty tax.

I can't think of any good reason not to take him at his word on this.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
March 22nd, 2014 at 5:26:06 AM permalink

If he pays his taxes quarterly, how is he going to get a refund? Drudge hasn't paid anything for tax year 2014 yet (2014 is when the Liberty Tax takes effect). You can't get a refund from the government for taxes that you haven't paid. People who owe taxes to the government do not pay three weeks early, especially an Obama-hater like Drudge. He's either a liar or stupid, probably both.

I pay estimated taxes and get a big refund every year. To protect yourself from a penalty, you are required to pay 110% of last years taxes for the year you are paying the estimated taxes. As an example, if I made $1,000,000 the previous tax year, and my taxes were $350,000, I am required to pay $385,000 in estimated taxes to prevent a possible penalty if I end up doing better the next year. If I make $1,200,000 and when all is said and done my tax bill would be $420,000, if I paid the $385,000 in estimated taxes I would have no penalty for the $35,000 shortfall; I would just have to pay it by April 15. If I paid less than the 110%, in addition to making up the difference, there is a fine, penalty, interest, etc... that would be due. If you are in a business where your income varies a good bit from year to year, you get caught in the overpaying trap in years your income does not go up. I look at it as I am just giving my friends, the federal government, an interest free loan.... And since my available 'free cash' is earning close to zero percent interest, I sometimes mail my estimated taxes in early.... As I'm going to the accountant on Monday I may send it in then!
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
March 22nd, 2014 at 5:46:21 AM permalink
Would someone care to admit that it is at least possible that the Drudge tax payment story is 100% true...or will ignoring the experiences of a couple of members who are self-employed and have done the same thing and continuing to call Drudge a liar be the way he goes??
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
March 22nd, 2014 at 6:17:17 AM permalink

I can't think of any good reason not to take him at his word on this.

Because liberals are still trying to destroy him for breaking the story that CBS was covering up the story on Clinton and Lewinsky. They can't find much to attack Drudge for in his personal life as the guy is a near-hermit so when anything happens they jump all over it. With Obama having the terrible month he has had they wanted to distract all the more.

Didn't work.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
March 22nd, 2014 at 6:21:00 AM permalink

Because liberals are still trying to destroy him for breaking the story that CBS was covering up the story on Clinton and Lewinsky. They can't find much to attack Drudge for in his personal life as the guy is a near-hermit so when anything happens they jump all over it. With Obama having the terrible month he has had they wanted to distract all the more.

Didn't work.

Of course everything that liberals do is motivated by some conspiracy theory, especially when liberals catch conservatives lying, then it's all about Vince Foster and Benghazi and Kenya.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
March 22nd, 2014 at 7:26:42 AM permalink

Of course everything that liberals do is motivated by some conspiracy theory, especially when liberals catch conservatives lying, then it's all about Vince Foster and Benghazi and Kenya.

What lie did he get caught in?

Or do you know his tax accountant just like you were in the room when my co-worker told me about when he and his wife went to dinner?
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
March 22nd, 2014 at 8:16:22 AM permalink

Before invoking assumptions and casting nasty aspersions, it might be useful to learn about the details.The fact of the matter is that with the first estimated '14 taxes due by April 15 along with the final return filing for '13 also required by April 15, prudent taxpayers have for some time been calculating what they owe and preparing to remit the sums. This is especially important for taxpayers running small independent businesses. In addition, despite one's best efforts, those estimates for the quarterly payments can fall far from the mark, depending on a huge number of variables.
RonC
RonC
March 22nd, 2014 at 8:41:12 AM permalink

Right now, this conversation in this thread, has turned to your belief in the allegations by the media on the left that Drudge was lying about his taxes. There is some other stuff out there but the simple question to you is:

Can you even consider the possibility that the left-leaning media was wrong and that Drudge has, in fact, paid estimated taxes that include a part of the new tax for Obamacare that is due in 2015 but will be payable by estimated filers quarterly beginning April 15th?
RonC
RonC
March 22nd, 2014 at 8:46:41 AM permalink

I don't like Obama but I will pay my taxes on any date I feel like before they become delinquent, thank you. Perhaps he is busy the next three weeks, perhaps he just wants to make sure there is no question about him paying on time, perhaps he likes to do things before the due date, who the hell cares?

One part of the taxes is due to Obamacare but he isn't paying the taxes to Obama...he is paying them to the IRS, the agency that collects income taxes for the country.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
March 22nd, 2014 at 2:49:04 PM permalink
Quote: RonC

Can you even consider the possibility that the left-leaning media was wrong and that Drudge has, in fact, paid estimated taxes that include a part of the new tax for Obamacare that is due in 2015 but will be payable by estimated filers quarterly beginning April 15th?

Of course I can. Paying taxes unnecessarily early is something I would expect a person of Drudge's addled capacity to do. It's basically giving Uncle Sam a three week interest free gift. But Occam's Razor suggests that Drudge lied in an effort to prove that he is the mostest against Obamacare.
RonC
RonC
March 23rd, 2014 at 3:40:12 AM permalink

Of course I can. Paying taxes unnecessarily early is something I would expect a person of Drudge's addled capacity to do. It's basically giving Uncle Sam a three week interest free gift. But Occam's Razor suggests that Drudge lied in an effort to prove that he is the mostest against Obamacare.

Wrong again. Easily the most plausible explanation, without invoking unicorns and rainbows, is that Drudge knew that this estimated tax period would be the first time someone had to pay the Obamacare tax and he filed early to be one of the first to pay it. There is no lie involved--he did the same thing pretty much everyone trying to make a point does...a little grandstanding to emphasize what the truth is.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
March 23rd, 2014 at 6:00:25 AM permalink

Three weeks really isn't all that early to pay taxes. Lots of people will send them in a few weeks early. While Drudge makes a few million a year, we are still not talking huge numbers in savings for such a short period.

What happened is beautiful. Drudge made the tweet to prove the point and (probably unintentionally) got liberals all over the land to over-react to it. When they did so he got them to show they do not know what it means to be self-employed and pay quarterly taxes. They showed they do not even know how their own law works! It has become a classic rope-a-dope.
RonC
RonC
March 23rd, 2014 at 7:40:14 AM permalink

Three weeks really isn't all that early to pay taxes. Lots of people will send them in a few weeks early. While Drudge makes a few million a year, we are still not talking huge numbers in savings for such a short period.

What happened is beautiful. Drudge made the tweet to prove the point and (probably unintentionally) got liberals all over the land to over-react to it. When they did so he got them to show they do not know what it means to be self-employed and pay quarterly taxes. They showed they do not even know how their own law works! It has become a classic rope-a-dope.

...and they have also tried (and failed miserably) to say that the forms do not have a line for the Obamacare Tax...but that does not matter at all. If he and his accountant KNOW now that a tax amount is going to be due at the end of the tax year (in this case, the Obamacare tax) they still have to "hit" the right numbers overall to avoid penalties as described by some of our self-employed folks earlier. The last thing anyone would want to do is have to pay the Obamacare tax and then get hit with a penalty for not hitting the required quarterly marks along the way.

If interest rates were higher paying early might be a concern for someone paying a lot. These days, it doesn't make much difference. As AZ pointed out, three weeks is not all that early.
LarryS
LarryS
March 23rd, 2014 at 3:25:35 PM permalink
Quote: RonC

Would someone care to admit that it is at least possible that the Drudge tax payment story is 100% true...or will ignoring the experiences of a couple of members who are self-employed and have done the same thing and continuing to call Drudge a liar be the way he goes??

its a debate over nothing. Its not like Drudge was giving an interview and blurted it out, and mispoke,

He specifically published it.

why would he ruin his credibility over something so small and insignficiant. By announcing what he did,,,,NOTHING about the sorry state of obamacare will change.

However if he is found to be lying...his comments on this topic and others would be suspect.

unless someone has proof that he is lying...its not worth debate.
  • Jump to: