Thread Rating:

michael99000
michael99000
  • Threads: 9
July 24th, 2013 at 6:02:06 PM permalink
Quote: wroberson

Sorry I wasn't around earlier. NXPI is a semiconductor company that puts chips into cell phones that allow customers to buy things. It's a 1st mover. About the time this thread was posted it was 25 bucks. It was 33 the last I checked. At the time is was a buy/hold until 2015. Europe is where the chips were first used as America is usually late on getting in on me technologies.

33% in 1st year is sweet!

I bought NXPI Today, hoping it sees high 30's fairly soon
wroberson
wroberson
  • Threads: 19
July 24th, 2013 at 7:37:34 PM permalink
I'm sure you did your research to fact check the statements I made.
Buffering...
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
July 26th, 2013 at 8:15:27 PM permalink
The little run that Tesla had this morning helped me out of my ridiculous spending spree earlier this week. I took that found money and bet it on a good earnings report from Manitowoc (MTW) on Tuesday. If Manitowoc hits 20 before August 17 then I make my money back and then some.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
August 6th, 2013 at 5:11:49 PM permalink
"Tomorrow we'll discover what our God in heaven has in store. One more dawn. One more day. One day more." - Les Miserables

After the bell on Wednesday, Tesla and Solar City will announce their earning for the quarter. Of the two, Tesla has the higher profile but Solar City has (if you can believe it) been the more volatile. Tesla has had a meteoric rise since it's last earnings report last quarter.

I will be selling all of my positions in Tesla and Solar City at 3:55pm tomorrow because I'm too chickenspit to ride this roller coaster. Tesla can not produce large enough earnings or guidance to justify it's $142 stock price. I expect Tesla to get hammered and to take Solar City with it. I will jump back in after the dust settles.

Now!! I will press the submit button, scroll back a few pages and see that I said pretty much the same thing about Tesla when it was $90 per share and then I'll change my mind all over again.

One thing is certain. I will continue to not have any fingernails and will expect bleeding cuticles by the time tomorrow comes.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
  • Threads: 34
August 6th, 2013 at 6:48:42 PM permalink
You didn't know that TSLA was going up just like you don't know if TSLA is going down or where it's going. You're lucky on this trade. Congratulations. Let your winners run. Put a trailing stop loss on your position so you don't get you panties in a wad.
Each day is better than the next
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
August 6th, 2013 at 7:15:10 PM permalink
Quote: treetopbuddy

Put a trailing stop loss on your position so you don't get you panties in a wad.

Stop loss orders work in a non-volatile environment when the stock is managed well by market makers. Let me give an example, if I put in a stop loss order on my TSLA to sell if it hits $130, then if TSLA trades at or below $130, my stop loss order then becomes an open market order to sell TSLA immediately at the highest bid. If Tesla's announcement on Wednesday night is anything less than stellar, then the stock will gap down on the open on Thursday. If the gap is huge, then my stop loss at $130 turns into a market order to sell at the current bid which could conceivably be $90.

Here's what I've decided to do so that I don't miss out on the potential upside while protecting my profits. As much as it pains me to do it, I'm going to buy some puts. It will cost me a bloody fortune because implied volatility is somewhere around 110 for Friday's expiration which is nuts! Normal implied volatility is around 70 for TSLA and even THAT's nuts. TSLA 130 puts are selling for $5. That would protect my position down to $125 per share and after the earnings release, if it's a good one, I might even be able to recover some of that premium and enjoy the ride up. If TSLA gaps down then the put option skyrockets. Thank goodness I'm bald otherwise I'd pull my hair out.
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
August 6th, 2013 at 10:08:41 PM permalink
Yeah, a large enough gap down would blow through the stops. Implied volatility always spikes in front of earnings. Nothing wrong with putting on a hedge. You could always sell out month calls against your underlying.

I've got a 40 lot AUG 9 GRPN calls. Averaged in at .58. Earnings after bell tomorrow. Vol is really spiking. Pricing reflecting 15% move. I have no idea what it's going to do.....Steven Cohen of SAC knows....insider trading MoFo.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
August 7th, 2013 at 5:56:27 AM permalink
Quote: treetopbuddy

Yeah, a large enough gap down would blow through the stops. Implied volatility always spikes in front of earnings. Nothing wrong with putting on a hedge. You could always sell out month calls against your underlying.

I've got a 40 lot AUG 9 GRPN calls. Averaged in at .58. Earnings after bell tomorrow. Vol is really spiking. Pricing reflecting 15% move. I have no idea what it's going to do.....Steven Cohen of SAC knows....insider trading MoFo.

Good luck with thr Groupon. My co-worker is in that and he just bought some calls. I don't feel comfortable with that business model yet.
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
August 7th, 2013 at 9:36:34 AM permalink
Successful traders if they are honest will tell you that LUCK plays a BIG part in their success.
UCivan
UCivan
  • Threads: 73
August 7th, 2013 at 10:48:01 AM permalink
CKSW is a buy at 7.10 now.

• Jump to: