Thread Rating:

AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
July 9th, 2018 at 12:16:31 PM permalink
Quote: petroglyph

If some kid is enterprising enough, say a checker someplace or assistant vending machine helper and collects the silver coins still floating through them, they could still buy gas for .25 gallon or several cheap burgers.

Good luck with that, they are now at least 55 years old and I don't remember seeing one in circulation in at least 10 and probably 20 years. None. One if that.

"The American Dream" really lasted just 20 years, 1945-1965. The coins were just the beginning. The LBJ years caused 20 years of horrible inflation. That was the end of "one income" families. We broke the back of inflation by 1983 or so. But we are now addicted to it. From the family buying a first home to the Feds, everyone counts on the cost of debt being eroded by inflation. Most corporations cook price increases, most of which are inflation, into making their numbers.

It is why Bitcoin scares governments to death. If Bitcoin gets acceptance, we for the first time ever have a deflationary currency mixed with an inflationary one.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
Thanked by
RogerKintbeachbumbabs
July 9th, 2018 at 12:42:48 PM permalink
Remember when you'd get hurt and then just, like, heal? The entire process was Ow, then wait a little bit, then you were fine again.

Wtf ever happened to that?
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
Thanked by
RogerKint
July 9th, 2018 at 1:36:20 PM permalink
Quote: Face

Remember when you'd get hurt and then just, like, heal? The entire process was Ow, then wait a little bit, then you were fine again.

Wtf ever happened to that?

Parents started letting their kids play soccer.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
July 9th, 2018 at 2:10:39 PM permalink
I took a college Phys Ed course in soccer for half a semester in the fall (maybe the spring) of 1964 -- the schedule called for two sports per semester. That was the only instruction I ever had regarding that game and the only time I ever played it in any sort of organized fashion.

And they didn't even teach us how to fake being injured by the defender! The coach/instructor must not have understood how the sport was really played at the advanced level.

;-)
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
July 9th, 2018 at 2:49:08 PM permalink
Quote: Doc

I took a college Phys Ed course in soccer for half a semester in the fall (maybe the spring) of 1964

The summer of 64 was the best summer
of my life. I saved up and my parents
paid half for a motor scooter. I was 15
and it was thrilling every time I rode that
summer. I had to do it early in the morning
because I had no license yet.

Getting out there at 6am and feeling the sun
and wind on my face, the freedom to go
places I'd never been, just the pure fun of
it, I never experienced anything like that
again.

This was it, a Bridgestone 50cc. Even had an
electric start. I loved the thing..

"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
July 9th, 2018 at 4:16:31 PM permalink
The summer of '64, I had my first ever job working for the government. Any government. US Civil Service, GS-4, I think at the fantastic rate of $2.30/hr. You probably had more fun than I did.
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 9th, 2018 at 4:46:49 PM permalink
Quote: Doc

The summer of '64, I had my first ever job working for the government. Any government. US Civil Service, GS-4, I think at the fantastic rate of $2.30/hr.

Min wage in '64 was $1.25. I was picking
apples and peaches in '65 for $1 an hour
and glad to get it. That winter I worked
at a car wash for $1.25, in 10 above zero
weather my pants were solid ice at the end
of the shift.

Good work if you can get it:

billryan
billryan
July 9th, 2018 at 5:43:14 PM permalink
When McDonald's came to NY/ Long Island in 1968 and started advertising, you could get two cheeseburgers, French fries and a soda for under a buck. They didn't have big Macs, only offered coke and orange soda and had no restaurant. You ordered from one window and, picked up at another. Not ideal in cold weather. I remember reading that there had to be five miles between stores and thinking my neighborhood was more than that from the closest one. Sure enough, that spring we got one.
Before McDonald's, New York had Wetsons.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 9th, 2018 at 5:48:47 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

I remember reading that there had to be five miles between stores

Must have been a regional thing. In the
60's and 70's all the McD's in the county
were owned by one guy. There was at
least a dozen of them. Another guy
owned all the Burger Kings. By the
80's they were both multi millionaires.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
July 9th, 2018 at 5:57:58 PM permalink

When McDonald's came to NY/ Long Island in 1968 and started advertising, you could get two cheeseburgers, French fries and a soda for under a buck. They didn't have big Macs, only offered coke and orange soda and had no restaurant. You ordered from one window and, picked up at another. Not ideal in cold weather. I remember reading that there had to be five miles between stores and thinking my neighborhood was more than that from the closest one. Sure enough, that spring we got one.
Before McDonald's, New York had Wetsons.

As late as the late 1990s, probably still, LI McDonald's were the only ones to not put mustard on burgers. I have yet to find out why.

Quote: EvenBob

Must have been a regional thing. In
60's and 70's all the McD's in the county
were owned by one guy. There was at
least a dozen of them. Another guy
owned all the Burger Kings. By the
80's they were both multi millionaires.

Pre-1970s it was very hard to get more than one MCD, except there were a few early markets where Kroc sold the territory rights. Pittsburgh, DC, and IIRC parts of MI. The MI one was a fluke as Kroc's #2 was fed up and caved on the demand of the franchisee.

Northern stores often had "winterfronts" but not all. The ones by me had about 10 indoor tables. It became obvious fast that the no-seats idea had flaws.

Winterfront
billryan
billryan
July 9th, 2018 at 6:10:22 PM permalink
I'm not sure that is accurate. I'm pretty sure NY McDonads were franchised from the get go. My Uncle briefly flirted with a franchise in about 1974 but wasn't properly funded.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Hullabaloo
Hullabaloo
  • Threads: 17
July 9th, 2018 at 7:34:00 PM permalink

The summer of 64 was the best summer
of my life.

Mine too.

I spent most of my time pooping in my pants 5 or 6 times a day and saying nonsensical things.

I'd guess it will be a mere 20 or 30 years and I'll be back to doing the same things.
dogqck
dogqck
  • Threads: 1
July 9th, 2018 at 8:52:04 PM permalink
Early 1960"s GINO's commercial Feed a family of 5 for $1.95 10 cent coke 14 cent fries 15 cent burger
1968 pick up my girlfiend at work, go to lunch $1 69 cent Arby's roast beef, 31 cent milkshake
She worked for a bank, operated machine printing credit cards. My best buddy's gf worked in billing office,
Barely resisted temptation!
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
July 10th, 2018 at 3:52:28 AM permalink

I'm not sure that is accurate. I'm pretty sure NY McDonads were franchised from the get go. My Uncle briefly flirted with a franchise in about 1974 but wasn't properly funded.

They were almost all franchised until Fred Turner took over and started having some company owned units in the early 1970s. Eventually something like 1/3 was corporate owned. Before this they owned a few so they could train people and experiment with them. Franchises complained and they started to cut back. Now the corporation owns very few.

Remember, the parent company makes money on rent, not food. So they really only want to own the very best units.
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
July 10th, 2018 at 4:24:41 AM permalink
Doesn't MCDonalds own all of the real estate?
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
July 10th, 2018 at 4:45:14 AM permalink
Quote: MaxPen

Doesn't MCDonalds own all of the real estate?

They either own it or have a long term lease which they then mark up and release to the franchisee.

Last I heard they outright own at around 2/3 of the stores. Rest presumably a markup lease.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
July 10th, 2018 at 6:30:17 AM permalink
I've heard that all fast food chains and storage unit places are really real estate 'asset plays'. Probably an exaggeration but as usual there is always a kernel of truth.

Franchisees hate these one dollar items... they lose seats, have to provide napkins, etc. and pay sales tax but they don't make any money. It was franchisees that started the 'breakfast menu' and nearly rebelled when McD's lawyers sent cease and desist or lose your franchise letters. Now of course those breakfast menus make the highest profits.

Kroc really based McDonalds on the old Carvel ice cream operations; a company that should have prospered but didn't. Some early fast food operators worked zillions of hour but made less money than if they had just bought stock and waited a year.

One woman in Seattle was going to be hired by Microsoft in its early days but when told she had to buy shares in the company she turned the job down because they didn't tell her she had sixty days to do it in. So she sure missed out on some big bucks.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
July 10th, 2018 at 11:18:59 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

I've heard that all fast food chains and storage unit places are really real estate 'asset plays'. Probably an exaggeration but as usual there is always a kernel of truth.

Most are. Movie theaters, too.

Quote:

It was franchisees that started the 'breakfast menu' and nearly rebelled when McD's lawyers sent cease and desist or lose your franchise letters. Now of course those breakfast menus make the highest profits.

The first "approved" MCD breakfast was from the same guy who invented the Big Mac. It was nothing special, but made a sales bump. After they saw results, MCD started making an official menu. FF Breakfast is a rare case of first-mover advantage holding. MCD still owns breakfast as nobody goes to BK and Wendy's keeps pulling breakfast altogether.

Quote:

Kroc really based McDonalds on the old Carvel ice cream operations; a company that should have prospered but didn't. Some early fast food operators worked zillions of hour but made less money than if they had just bought stock and waited a year.

Kroc did not invent much of anything as to MCD. The real estate idea was from Harry Sonneborn whom Kroc hired from Tastee-Freeze. Harry wanted TF to do the idea there, but they did not. Kroc was a salesman, and a classic one who did not get the financial end of the business and did not have the patience to really run the day to day. He was smart enough to hire to fill his weaknesses. Reading about MCD, I can't find much of anything Kroc "invented." His gift was running with a good idea.
billryan
billryan
July 10th, 2018 at 12:09:28 PM permalink
What Kroc invented is irrelevant. It's what he is credited with that matters.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 25
July 10th, 2018 at 12:52:06 PM permalink
I recently watched that movie about Ray Kroc with Michael Keaton, and they made it look like Kroc was a huge a-hole who took advantage of the McDonald brothers. They just trumped up the drama for the movie, though, because when I actually looked into the true story of what happened, it seems like the McDonald brothers were more or less fine with everything Kroc ultimately did, and were eventually okay with even selling their own name.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Thanked by
EvenBob
July 10th, 2018 at 1:37:32 PM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

I recently watched that movie about Ray Kroc with Michael Keaton, and they made it look like Kroc was a huge a-hole who took advantage of the McDonald brothers. They just trumped up the drama for the movie, though, because when I actually looked into the true story of what happened, it seems like the McDonald brothers were more or less fine with everything Kroc ultimately did, and were eventually okay with even selling their own name.

Kroc was kind of like General Patton or Frank Rosenthal to name two famous guys. Hard to work for but took good care of those who performed well. The brothers treated him awful and all he did was make them a ton of money. By any metric he overpaid them by a factor of several times for their interest. He and the brothers hated each other.

The real story is amazing. More than once MCD almost failed completely. Pre-1965 anyone could have passed them right by.
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 10th, 2018 at 2:26:06 PM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

it seems like the McDonald brothers were more or less fine with everything Kroc ultimately did, and were eventually okay with even selling their own name.

They were thrilled to get the
$2 million they sold out for.
At first. Then as Kroc took their
name and made it worth hundreds
of millions, they felt ripped off.

Like the guy who owned the patent
on the light bulb. Edison bought the
patent on a non working bulb, made
it work, made money, and the seller
felt ripped off. Oh well..
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
November 11th, 2018 at 8:29:55 AM permalink
Remember when 1 Chipolte burrito was breakfast, lunch and dinner.
I am a robot.
billryan
billryan
November 11th, 2018 at 9:10:28 AM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

Remember when 1 Chipolte burrito was breakfast, lunch and dinner.

The first time I had Chipolte, I was stunned by how huge the burrito was. A couple months later, I had one in Vegas and it wasn't anywhere near the size. Same with everyone I've had since. No idea how or why.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 23rd, 2019 at 6:22:51 PM permalink
Remember colored toilet paper in the 60's
and 70's? If you had a green bathroom,
or blue, or pink, you bought the right
shade of TP to fit your decor. Ours
was seafoam green. The TP aisle was
very colorful, now it's solid white.

Bathrooms started to go all white in
the 80's and none of the big companies
make colored anymore. A shame..

MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
Thanked by
rainmanbeachbumbabsRSodiousgambit
January 23rd, 2019 at 7:46:25 PM permalink
You just know that had to cause ass cancer.
michael99000
michael99000
  • Threads: 9
January 23rd, 2019 at 8:14:30 PM permalink

Was it available in brown ?
jackmagic777
jackmagic777
  • Threads: 1
January 23rd, 2019 at 8:27:42 PM permalink
Started to disappear as all the bathrooms went white in the 89's.
Jimmy2Times
Jimmy2Times
  • Threads: 2
Thanked by
tringlomanebeachbumbabs
January 23rd, 2019 at 8:35:54 PM permalink
Remember when boxing was not so expensive to watch live? Saw Willie Pep back in 1962 for $2.00 (can't recall who he fought). Saw world welterweight championship in 1970 for $5.00 (Billy Backus vs Jose Napoles). Recently paid $1200.00 to see Gennady Golovkin (GGG) lose his titles to Canelo Alvarez (I don't have many fights left so I went for it). Enjoy reading this computer board - learned a lot about gambling and really enjoy learning about the math behind gambling - the math helps me keep my mind working, thanks! This is my first post, hope I did it correctly, did it correctly.
I 'm gonna go get the papers, get the papers.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 23rd, 2019 at 9:20:33 PM permalink
Quote: michael99000

Was it available in brown ?

Beige was the closest. In the 60's
and 70's I never saw a roll of
white. Kleenex also came in
colors.

beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
January 23rd, 2019 at 10:02:46 PM permalink
Quote: Jimmy2Times

Remember when boxing was not so expensive to watch live? Saw Willie Pep back in 1962 for $2.00 (can't recall who he fought). Saw world welterweight championship in 1970 for $5.00 (Billy Backus vs Jose Napoles). Recently paid $1200.00 to see Gennady Golovkin (GGG) lose his titles to Canelo Alvarez (I don't have many fights left so I went for it). Enjoy reading this computer board - learned a lot about gambling and really enjoy learning about the math behind gambling - the math helps me keep my mind working, thanks! This is my first post, hope I did it correctly, did it correctly.

Welcome, welcome, J2T. Several fans of the sweet science here, so make yourself at home.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
January 24th, 2019 at 2:23:08 AM permalink
Never heard of colored toilet paper. I was born in 80 so if it were around in mid to late 80s I think I would remember. Will have to ask my parents.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 15th, 2019 at 12:32:24 AM permalink
Remember when these guys represented
a wholesomeness in America that was
slowly dying. It's hard to believe now
what huge stars they were. They were
always at the top of the charts in the
70's, or a single Osmond was.

Donnie and Marie have been doing 5
shows a week in Vegas for 11 years.
People love reliving that era, it was
so much better than what we have
now.

AZDuffman
AZDuffman
March 15th, 2019 at 2:32:51 AM permalink

That probably had as much to do with reducing SKUs as anything else.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
March 15th, 2019 at 2:35:55 AM permalink
Quote: Jimmy2Times

I remember when it used to be a way bigger thing than it is now. When I was a kid there was talk about a big match and there was always some kind of fight on TV. Can't say I have ever watched or cared much about it myself, just was not my thing. But it does seem a bit sad how the sport destroyed itself in the 1990s or so.
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 15th, 2019 at 4:12:48 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

I remember when it used to be a way bigger thing than it is now.

Boxing was huge in the 50's.
Every Saturday night it was
on TV. Smoky ring, lots of
cigars in the audience. It
gradually was replaced by
Westerns. Which have now
totally disappeared. I wonder
what last period Western was
on TV.
ontariodealer
ontariodealer
  • Threads: 7
March 15th, 2019 at 4:36:08 PM permalink
don king destroyed boxing when he took it from t.v. to pay per view.
get second you pig
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 15th, 2019 at 4:44:54 PM permalink
Quote: ontariodealer

don king destroyed boxing when he took it from t.v. to pay per view.

It was gone long before PPV. It
was gone in the early 60's,
there was no cable then. It was
boring and outdated, so it went
away.
ontariodealer
ontariodealer
March 15th, 2019 at 6:40:05 PM permalink
well I disagree, it was still very alive here in the late 60 and early 70's
get second you pig
billryan
billryan
March 15th, 2019 at 6:55:54 PM permalink
There was an awful lot of great fights and fighters in the 70s and 80s. Hearns-Hagler-Duran-Leonard was about as good as it gets and then you had guys like Pryor and Danny Lopez just below them. Holyfield-Tyson-Riddick -Bowe gave us some great fights.
Then again, we also had disasters like the Foreman fights five guys nonsense, the world champion Ali looking ridiculous in a never ending fight with a wrestler who wouldn't fight, the horrible US Heavyweight tournament that was rigged and all anyone remembers is Howard Cosell losing his toupee. NBC bet the farm on Duane Bobick who proceeded to get knocked out on St Patricks Day in Prime time in about a minute, and CBS did the same with Ray Mancini, who beat a kid to death live on network tv.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
March 15th, 2019 at 7:01:55 PM permalink

There was an awful lot of great fights and fighters in the 70s and 80s. Hearns-Hagler-Duran-Leonard was about as good as it gets and then you had guys like Pryor and Danny Lopez just below them. Holyfield-Tyson-Riddick -Bowe gave us some great fights.
Then again, we also had disasters like the Foreman fights five guys nonsense, the world champion Ali looking ridiculous in a never ending fight with a wrestler who wouldn't fight, the horrible US Heavyweight tournament that was rigged and all anyone remembers is Howard Cosell losing his toupee. NBC bet the farm on Duane Bobick who proceeded to get knocked out on St Patricks Day in Prime time in about a minute, and CBS did the same with Ray Mancini, who beat a kid to death live on network tv.

I don't remember Duane Bobick, I do remember Trevor Bobick.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
billryan
billryan
March 15th, 2019 at 7:20:15 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

I don't remember Duane Bobick, I do remember Trevor Bobick.

Bobick was the Great White Hope before Jerry Cooney. He won a Gold at the Pan Am games and beat Larry Holmes to make the Olympics where he got knocked out by the Cuban guy who beat everyone. He turned pro, fought a bunch of tomato cans before being featured on a Prime Time Card. where Ken Norton knocked him out in 58 seconds. He then fought a bunch of lesser guys before a big fight with John Tate, who knocked him silly. Duane was a decent fighter but had no defense against an overhead right.

Edited because I thought the fight was on St Patricks Day, but that was Foreman-Jimmy Young.
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 15th, 2019 at 8:44:08 PM permalink

well I disagree, it was still very alive here in the late 60 and early 70's

Where. We had 3 networks in the 60's,
where were there fights on TV. I never
saw any. A boxing match would never
draw enough of an audience in 1965
to compete with Batman, Green Acres,
or Bonanza. Maybe some local stations
had them on late Sunday nights or
at 3am somewhere. They were never
in primetime.
ontariodealer
ontariodealer
March 15th, 2019 at 9:57:40 PM permalink
you had three networks I guess.....WE had different networks I suppose because we had boxing every Friday.
get second you pig
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 15th, 2019 at 10:01:12 PM permalink

you had three networks I guess.....WE had different networks I suppose because we had boxing every Friday.

That's right, you had Canadian TV.

Never mind...
ontariodealer
ontariodealer
March 15th, 2019 at 10:05:48 PM permalink
at least we had boxing....but you did have green acres, you're so lucky.
get second you pig
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
Thanked by
gamerfreak
March 15th, 2019 at 10:31:34 PM permalink

The first time I had Chipolte, I was stunned by how huge the burrito was. A couple months later, I had one in Vegas and got food poisoning.

Edited for fun.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 209
March 15th, 2019 at 11:37:56 PM permalink

Judge's decisions pretty much ruined my boxing enjoyment.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Johnzimbo
Johnzimbo 
  • Threads: 4
March 16th, 2019 at 5:27:59 AM permalink
When I was a kid new movies were released on Wednesdays. They changed to Fridays maybe late 70's???
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 25
March 16th, 2019 at 8:16:14 AM permalink

I wonder
what last period Western was
on TV.

Westworld is kind of pseudo-period Western.

Deadwood is definitely period. It's been off the air for a few years but they're working on a movie.
  • Jump to: