2 votes (12.5%)
5 votes (31.25%)

16 members have voted

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
March 27th, 2011 at 3:57:23 PM permalink
I'm posting this in the Free Speech Zone, because I could see the discussion getting charged.

So, the latest buzz on YouTube is this' rel='nofollow' target='_blank'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIT7X5EB3IY]this video, in which a pretty blonde UCLA student rants about Asian students, in particular how their families come over to do their laundry, and they speak on their cell phones obnoxiously in the library.

Many think it was an attempt at humor gone bad. Mention of the Japanese tsunami does not help her cause. I hear she apologized, but the uproar was so intense that she dropped out of UCLA over this.

The question for the poll is whether you think she deserved what she got?

By the way, here is my favorite parody.' rel='nofollow' target='_blank'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKpf9YT4x8o&feature=related]parody.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
March 27th, 2011 at 4:16:15 PM permalink
I voted she deserves it. It is hilarious because it is mostly true. However, you don't talk about those things in polite company with a straight face. If she had made a humorous song or something about it, and toned down some of her speech, it would have probably gone over well. Asians DO spend a lot of time in the library (at every major university, go to the library on a Saturday night or Sunday morning and I guarantee you will see a majority of Asians). SOME of them are rude and do inconsiderate stuff. Most do not.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
March 28th, 2011 at 6:33:25 AM permalink
Maybe she put the video out to get discovered as a model or something?

I am of mixed feelings on this. My first thought is if she has a problem with Asians she probably should not have chosen a UC school. She looks like somone who grew up in OC and came to major in "husbandry." And she seems to think of "Asia" as one culture. I think there are few Japanese undergrads in the USA, Japanese seem to be more of a graduate level. Asians I met in college were from Mayasia, Banglesesh, and generally the China-and-southwest area. I could be off on that.

OTOH, when cultures mix, there are legitimate problems. This happens to young people mostly in college or the military. She has a right to be POed about cell phone use in the library. Foreign languages around you are mixed. If a private conversation one thing, but in class not so much. I once had a Turkish Professor flat out tell two girls to stop talking in Chinese in his class because it makes everyone around them feel like foreigners in their own country. (He wasn't even a US Citizen yet!)

Putting it on youtube was not the smartest thing to do.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
March 28th, 2011 at 9:32:49 AM permalink
She definitely is showing off her tits anyway. [whew, glad this is a "free speech" zone!]
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
March 28th, 2011 at 3:59:28 PM permalink
Lately You Tube is crashing my home PC :(
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
March 28th, 2011 at 4:35:50 PM permalink
Anyone who voted she shouldn't have apologized care to comment?
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
March 28th, 2011 at 5:02:36 PM permalink
I voted she deserves all the embarrassment she is getting. But I also vote that she shouldn't have apologized. She obviously believes what she is saying, so why apologize?

Any apology that comes from her now is fake, so why bother?

That's probably not the answer you're looking for...
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
  • Threads: 7
March 28th, 2011 at 5:07:22 PM permalink
The parody is hilarious. The original, not so much.
Each of us is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts. Preparing for a fight about your bad decision is not as smart as making a good decision.
mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
March 28th, 2011 at 5:35:34 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Anyone who voted she shouldn't have apologized care to comment?

My comment is that political correctness is utterly irony-proof. This was obviously tongue-in-cheek (the girl's original video), but apparently thousands of people saw it as an excuse to become overheatedly indignant.

In any case, she shouldn't have been hounded out of school. I thought that universities were supposed to be bastions of free thought and free speech (but in reality, they are cesspools of political orthodoxy and intolerance for non-PC thought).

And yes indeed, nice tits.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
May 14th, 2011 at 5:04:11 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

in which a pretty blonde

Her face is below average and her weight is above average. I wouldn't toss the adjective 'pretty' around so loosely!
Never post racist comments you make on You Tube. She deserved what she got, not so much for the comments themselves but more for the stupidity to post them.
  • Jump to: