BenJammin
BenJammin
  • Threads: 48
November 3rd, 2009 at 2:21:23 PM permalink
who cause trouble for the sake of it.

These people should be revealed in public, so they can't hide behind their anonymity.

So, some moderation is in order.

See Vegas Rex Forums
Member In Good Standing!
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
November 10th, 2009 at 4:56:51 PM permalink
Quote: BenJammin

who cause trouble for the sake of it.

These people should be revealed in public, so they can't hide behind their anonymity.

So, some moderation is in order.

See Vegas Rex Forums

You are not the first to warn me about this. I reserve the right to change my own rules, or disable the "free speech zone" completely. However, for now, I wish to give it a chance.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
January 20th, 2010 at 4:53:43 PM permalink
The problem is that trolls don't know they are trolls. If you put up a sign that says Trolls are Welcome Here they won't come.
Rosstafari
Rosstafari
  • Threads: 1
January 21st, 2010 at 11:25:22 PM permalink
Heh. You haven't been on a forum for that long if you think trolls don't know their trolls. Some don't, most do.
Croupier
Croupier
  • Threads: 58
January 21st, 2010 at 11:40:51 PM permalink
Yeah but even the trolls that know they are trolls only do it for the reaction. No reaction means no point for the trolls. Its the ones that dont know they are trolls that are the problem.
[This space is intentionally left blank]
inap
inap
  • Threads: 12
January 22nd, 2010 at 1:56:29 AM permalink
congratulations to all of you, the wizard, and this forum. that's exactly the reason i don't post much. i pick my spots and say something only when i think it can be helpfull to someone. what i express is just mho and i don't need or expect to hear bs from anyone who thinks they know it all. i'm too old to waste my time with that rubbish :)
blackchipjim
blackchipjim
  • Threads: 2
February 7th, 2010 at 12:50:39 PM permalink
I'm all for the free speech zone and what it stands for. There are other sites that have them in one form or the other and it is good thing for the site in general. Some people don't like forums that distract from the core themes of the site but it does provide a welcome distraction to gamers that may want their oppinions heard. I new to the site but it seems to be a very well constructed site where a person could go for advice on a variety of games.
derik999
derik999
  • Threads: 15
March 21st, 2010 at 7:55:02 AM permalink
Trolls are best put on ignore if you have that option. There are a lot of people who can't resist getting into an argument when someone trolls under the guise of holding a political opinion that is diametrically opposed to their own.

What's worse is holding an unpopular opinion but arguing legitimately and being accused of being a troll because it gets under the skin of the sensitive, who usually are the loudest and most frequent crybabies.

I've been banned from a couple forums for refusing to idolize the sacred cows.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
March 22nd, 2010 at 7:22:07 AM permalink
One way to discover a troll is to see if they argue with the automated complaint generator.
A falling knife has no handle.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
March 22nd, 2010 at 8:32:24 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

You are not the first to warn me about this. I reserve the right to change my own rules, or disable the "free speech zone" completely. However, for now, I wish to give it a chance.

The FSZ is a good idea Wiz, please don't remove it. Sometimes we all have something we would post that could get us accuesd of "troll" behavior. But often it is just a legitimate argument or way of arguing a point. Often it is entertaining-Tom Leykis built a show on taking a radical point, not conceding an inch, and getting people to try and prove him wrong.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Croupier
Croupier
March 22nd, 2010 at 9:07:37 AM permalink
I dont think anything that could possibly be said on this message board in the free speech zone or otherwise, could not probably be any worse than what is seen on Fox with Glenn Beck and the like.

I may be classified as a pussy Liberal after that, but who cares.
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
March 22nd, 2010 at 9:18:25 AM permalink
Quote: Croupier

I dont think anything that could possibly be said on this message board in the free speech zone or otherwise, could not probably be any worse than what is seen on Fox with Glenn Beck and the like.

Actually, I respect your right to any opinion you have. My observation is that there are people on BOTH sides who are "out there" but the ones we are most likely to hear about are the ones on Fox. Is that because the group of opinion people on Fox (Beck, Hannity, etc.) are "worse" than the ones on MSNBC (Maddow, Olberman, etc.), is it due to a bias against conservatives in the main-stream media, or is it just because they get better ratings and are better known?

I don't actually think any of them are the "best" speaker for their side, nor do I consider any of them journalists. I just think that, after listening to both groups, the liberal ones on MSNBC match the conservative ones on FOX in their zeal to support their position. If they are on the side opposite your position, they are very hard to tolerate.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
March 22nd, 2010 at 9:18:28 AM permalink

Just don't forget to include Olberman and Maddow in that assessment.
Croupier
Croupier
March 22nd, 2010 at 9:25:26 AM permalink
I must admit to ignorance of the liberal extremeists on TV. I only know about Beck and the Fox lot because of a TV programme in the UK based on satire and sarcasm. It showed Glenn Beck launching his 9/12 Project. Some of the things he was saying could have made sense, but the true message was lost in the tears and the rhetoric.

Im sure I would be equally disdainful of any liberal media that showed the same reliance on emotion as opposed to logical arguament.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
March 22nd, 2010 at 9:37:06 AM permalink

I must admit to ignorance of the liberal extremeists on TV. I only know about Beck and the Fox lot because of a TV programme in the UK based on satire and sarcasm. It showed Glenn Beck launching his 9/12 Project. Some of the things he was saying could have made sense, but the true message was lost in the tears and the rhetoric.

Im sure I would be equally disdainful of any liberal media that showed the same reliance on emotion as opposed to logical arguament.

I can watch Beck sometimes but need a break sometimes. He is on when I am at work, anyways. Some of his acting is over-the-top but he does show numbers as backup for statements as well. But here is why conservative media personalities like Beck clobber liberal ones like Maddow (in the USA anyways.)

Guys like Beck understand their first obligation is to be entertaining. Many were former DJs. Rush Limbaugh summed up why that is important by saying *anyone* can spin the same records, a DJ needs to get people to listen to THEM. Funny, engaging, whatever. All between songs.

Liberal show personalities, OTOH, seem to come up either purpose-driven or from very narrow-casted shows few people listened to. So Limbaugh for example was just a DJ with conservative views who took his talents to a talk-show. For him it was sort of a format-change.

There is also the fact that Limbaugh, Hannity, Beck, et al seem to be enjoying life when the do a show. MSNBC hosts seem to be upset and unhappy with life.

Am I wrong?
cclub79
cclub79
  • Threads: 35
March 22nd, 2010 at 10:09:36 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

I can watch Beck sometimes but need a break sometimes. He is on when I am at work, anyways. Some of his acting is over-the-top but he does show numbers as backup for statements as well. But here is why conservative media personalities like Beck clobber liberal ones like Maddow (in the USA anyways.)

Guys like Beck understand their first obligation is to be entertaining. Many were former DJs. Rush Limbaugh summed up why that is important by saying *anyone* can spin the same records, a DJ needs to get people to listen to THEM. Funny, engaging, whatever. All between songs.

Liberal show personalities, OTOH, seem to come up either purpose-driven or from very narrow-casted shows few people listened to. So Limbaugh for example was just a DJ with conservative views who took his talents to a talk-show. For him it was sort of a format-change.

There is also the fact that Limbaugh, Hannity, Beck, et al seem to be enjoying life when the do a show. MSNBC hosts seem to be upset and unhappy with life.

Am I wrong?

Nope, you're not wrong. I used to tell my classes, "The reason talk radio is right wing is because that's what the radio DJs that were good and got into talk radio were." Air America was destined to fail, because radio is its own animal. You have to be able to understand the basics of RADIO for you to be able to pull off any type of show. If the left wanted to compete with right wing talk radio, they can't just grab Al Franken, or Garafalo, or Hightower, or Cuomo, and expect them to be radio people. They didn't know a thing about entertaining on the radio. The left should have canvassed great stations across the country and found some young guy or group that was doing a great show at some alternative station. Then, if they are passionate about left wing politics, they'd have a much better chance at success. Radio success has to come first, then you can go all politcal on 'em.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
March 22nd, 2010 at 10:32:01 AM permalink
Quote: cclub79

Nope, you're not wrong. I used to tell my classes, "The reason talk radio is right wing is because that's what the radio DJs that were good and got into talk radio were." Air America was destined to fail, because radio is its own animal. You have to be able to understand the basics of RADIO for you to be able to pull off any type of show. If the left wanted to compete with right wing talk radio, they can't just grab Al Franken, or Garafalo, or Hightower, or Cuomo, and expect them to be radio people. They didn't know a thing about entertaining on the radio. The left should have canvassed great stations across the country and found some young guy or group that was doing a great show at some alternative station. Then, if they are passionate about left wing politics, they'd have a much better chance at success. Radio success has to come first, then you can go all politcal on 'em.

Uh, you said I am wrong but seem to agree exactly with what I said in the second paragraph where you quoted me. If I explained it wrong then my fault. Yes, radio success first. TV success won't do it as they are so different (Limbaugh sayd he hates doing TV for example.)

Air America was also destined to fail because it tried to be a full network, at first with an all-or-nothing-take-it-or-leave-it option with affiliates. Meanwhile conservative shows are more standalone. Limbaugh is independent. You can take Hannity but not Savage. You can put just the lovely Laura Ingram and nothing else. And all these shows started independently of each other. Air America tried to launch 5 or so shows all at one time, nationwide. At best only 2 would have caught on.

Air America should be a case study for B-Schools as to what happens when you start a business for a first reason other than profit.
cclub79
cclub79
  • Threads: 35
March 22nd, 2010 at 10:40:31 AM permalink
Read my first sentence again.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
March 22nd, 2010 at 10:46:01 AM permalink
Quote: cclub79

Read my first sentence again.

One million apologies on my part. Seriously.
FootofGod
FootofGod
  • Threads: 8
April 8th, 2010 at 7:47:30 PM permalink
Everyone in this thread is trolling, even the Wizard.

I never see why moderators have a problem with anything said in "free speech" areas unless they are flooding the forums or being entirely too belligerent. I have been kicked from forums for some pretty bunk reasons. The trolling to be worried about goes far beyond light flaming and occasional tomfoolery.
  • Jump to: