Thread Rating:

EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
August 31st, 2010 at 3:06:04 PM permalink
I've never seen another radio/TV personality strike a chord in this country like Glenn Beck has. His numbers on FOX are extraordinary. He's the right guy in the right place at the right time. I like the guy, he's very likable. His honesty and emotion are refreshing, his knowledge is encyclopedic, and his ability to entertain is amazing. Good for him.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
August 31st, 2010 at 3:35:30 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

I've never seen another radio/TV personality strike a chord in this country like Glenn Beck has. His numbers on FOX are extraordinary. He's the right guy in the right place at the right time. I like the guy, he's very likable. His honesty and emotion are refreshing, his knowledge is encyclopedic, and his ability to entertain is amazing. Good for him.

He has clearly founbd a niche--and it is amazing a conservative show on at 5:00 does so well. Usually people are at work at this time. I think his rally scared many people to death--the silent majority no longer silent.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
August 31st, 2010 at 3:35:31 PM permalink

He has clearly founbd a niche--and it is amazing a conservative show on at 5:00 does so well. Usually people are at work at this time. I think his rally scared many people to death--the silent majority no longer silent.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
August 31st, 2010 at 3:36:01 PM permalink

Beck's another of a long line of political commentators (left, right or centre) whose stock in trade is sensationalism and getting noticed. He's an entertainer and a rodeo clown (his words not mine), he's a new Rush Limbaugh, prone to less flights of bullshit fancy and inference, it's true, but it's the same mold America's produced for the last twenty years.

If you agree with his slant on politics, you'll love him as the voice of forgotten America, if you don't, you'll think he's a(nother) conservative blowhard.

But at least he's not Sarah Palin...
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
August 31st, 2010 at 3:50:13 PM permalink
I've read his recent book, and what I find infuriating about the man is even though I agree with him about quite a few things (and vehemently disagree with him on others), he presents his ideas in a way that subverts logic and relies on rhetoric and cheap shots to make his points. I'm sure that a lot of that is just his media persona, and underneath all the bluster is probably a thoughtful and intelligent man.

The clownish affectation cheapens his arguments and distorts his positions. We NEED people like him, to oppose Obama's steamroller, and to resist one-party rule and totalitarian government. However, he shoots himself in the foot repeatedly, and gives liberal pundits much more ammunition than they deserve, and a chance (as with Limbaugh) to make ad hominem attacks.

I am also nauseated by this "return to traditional American values" crap. Bring back slavery! Repeal women's suffrage! Put people in jail for not going to church! Force school kids to pray! Stop vaccinating your children! Hunt down and kill homosexuals! Those are all traditional American values.

Who in their right mind would "return to traditional America", even if they had the chance? Our history--and world history--is filled with oppression, bigotry, and ignorance. I do NOT want to party like it's 1799 (although, in colonial America, far fewer people attended church services, proportionally, than do today).
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 31st, 2010 at 3:52:25 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

Beck's another of a long line of political commentators (left, right or centre) whose stock in trade is sensationalism .... But at least he's not Sarah Palin...

What does he do thats sensational? Most of his shows are like college classes, heavy on American history. Whats wrong with Palin? I didn't like her at first, but she's very sincere and I like her a lot now. She also has struck a chord in America, she packs them in wherever she goes.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 31st, 2010 at 3:59:40 PM permalink
Quote: mkl654321

I am also nauseated by this "return to traditional American values" crap. Bring back slavery! Repeal women's suffrage! Put people in jail for not going to church! Force school kids to pray! Stop vaccinating your children! Hunt down and kill homosexuals! Those are all traditional American values.

On which show did he promote all of that, I missed that one.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
August 31st, 2010 at 4:10:50 PM permalink

What does he do thats sensational?

On the anniversary of MLK's I Have a Dream Speech, Beck had a rally on the Mall "Reclaiming Honor" for conservatives.

I enjoy Glenn Beck. He's a likable and funny guy. But if you don't think that's sensationalist, you've been sucked into the vortex. It's in the same vein as the ground zero mosque, only Beck's rally was literally in the same place as MLK's speech.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
August 31st, 2010 at 4:11:29 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

the silent majority no longer silent.

You misspelled plurality:-P
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
ItsCalledSoccer
ItsCalledSoccer
  • Threads: 42
August 31st, 2010 at 4:24:44 PM permalink

I don't think "traditional" = "happened in the past." By that argument, welfare, nuking enemies, and abortion are "traditional American values" (the main difference being, welfare, nuking enemies, and abortion actually happened while "repeal women's suffrage" hasn't).

Beck enumerates which values he labels as "traditional" so I don't need to go over them. If you don't like them or share them, that's fine. Tell us which ones you do value (abortion?). But picking four straw-man things that may (or may not) have historically happened, calling them "traditional American values," and using them as a reason to throw out ALL American values is just stupid. It's not an argument, it's not intelligent, and it's not thoughtful.

American values exist (freedom, self-determination, private property, free markets, private charity), and there is apparently a very large number of voting citizens who are willing to fight to save them, no matter how many times they're told that they just want to "bring back slavery" if they think that way. Disparaging a large number of voters is never a good idea.
mkl654321
mkl654321
August 31st, 2010 at 4:28:24 PM permalink

What does he do thats sensational? Most of his shows are like college classes, heavy on American history. Whats wrong with Palin? I didn't like her at first, but she's very sincere and I like her a lot now. She also has struck a chord in America, she packs them in wherever she goes.

Well, first and foremost, she's a complete idiot. That has nothing to do with her politics--she's a bubblehead.

Monster truck rallies and celebrity wrestling also pack 'em in wherever they go.

And having read two of Beck's books now, and heard him bloviate, I'd say his shows are like college classes where the professor has been smoking crack. Some of the things he says are just plain inaccurate, and just plain stupid, He is NOT an objective commentator (nor does he strive, or purport, to be).

I can't detect a single substantive proposal that either Palin or Beck has made to fix the country's problems other than marching everybody down to the local church at gunpoint.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
mkl654321
mkl654321
August 31st, 2010 at 4:33:51 PM permalink

On which show did he promote all of that, I missed that one.

If he wants "traditional American values", he wants to return to a "traditional" America, and the practices I mentioned are all traditional. The United States is 234 years old. Women couldn't vote for the first 144 of those years. Slavery was practiced for the first 89 years. Laws against homosexuality were universal for the first 200 years. Mandatory church attendance was a colonial practice that peristed well into the 19th century.

If you "missed" all that, you must have been feeling the love rather than listening to what he was really saying.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
August 31st, 2010 at 4:38:23 PM permalink

Whats wrong with Palin? I didn't like her at first, but she's very sincere and I like her a lot now. She also has struck a chord in America, she packs them in wherever she goes.

Sarah drives the left nuts. A sincere, intelligent, and plain-spoken woman who made it on her own and not on here husband's name like others such as Hillary Clinton. You can see it in how the left-wing attack machine went right after her. No one had as unfair press as Sarah, with Dan Qualye the only person close. But Sarah as stuck it out and people seem to relate to her.

What I find funny is ask a liberal why Obama is smart and they seem to say, "because." When you ask a liberal why they think Sarah is stupid they say, "because." They cannot give a concrete reason on either.

I still don't want her to run in 2012, she would be better at party-building. Give her Steele's job.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 31st, 2010 at 4:42:15 PM permalink

Well, first and foremost, she's a complete idiot.

LOL, I must be an idiot too, I missed that completely. Can you tell us some of the idiotic things she's said so we'll all be enlightened? If she's a 'complete' idiot, everything must be idiotic that comes out of her mouth. just the top 10 will be sufficient, thanks.

>>I'd say his shows are like college classes where the professor has been smoking crack. Some of the things he says are just plain inaccurate, and just plain stupid>>

Again, you really need to give examples, or you're the one that looks stupid.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 31st, 2010 at 4:51:56 PM permalink

If he wants "traditional American values", he wants to return to a "traditional" America, and the practices I mentioned are all traditional. The United States is 234 years old. Women couldn't vote for the first 134 of those years. Slavery was practiced for the first 89 years. Laws against homosexuality were universal for the first 200 years. Mandatory church attendance was a colonial practice that peristed well into the 19th century.

So he advocates burning witches, corporal punishment, and Colonial stoning as well then. You think thats what he means when he wants us to to return to 'traditional American values'. I wonder if you could be wrong and thats not what he means at all.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 31st, 2010 at 4:56:39 PM permalink

When you ask a liberal why they think Sarah is stupid they say, "because." They cannot give a concrete reason .

I know, its hilarious. I always ask them to give a list of the stupidest things she says, and they never can because they don't listen to her. The same with Rush Limbaugh, his loudest critics have never listened to a single one of his shows. Al Franken wrote a book called 'Rush Limbaugh is a Big fat Idiot' and later admitted he never listened to one single show. Incredible.
cclub79
cclub79
  • Threads: 35
August 31st, 2010 at 5:10:49 PM permalink

I know, its hilarious. I always ask them to give a list of the stupidest things she says, and they never can because they don't listen to her. The same with Rush Limbaugh, his loudest critics have never listened to a single one of his shows. Al Franken wrote a book called 'Rush Limbaugh is a Big fat Idiot' and later admitted he never listened to one single show. Incredible.

I personally get sick of the sound of her voice. It's a shame, because I really like her as a person. There's just something about her voice that makes me mad. It sounds phony. I can't help it!

Rush is a great entertainer. I listen to his show a lot. Hannity was great when he was local in NYC, now I just feel like he's Republican talking points. I don't find him compelling in the way Rush is. Savage makes me laugh. I liked Beck better before he got so popular too, but I can't blame him for success. He was at my buddy's wedding a few years back, because they worked together in Philly. Very nice man in person.

By the way, as a Conservative, I think if everyone was more like Elton John, we'd be in a better place politically. He played Rush Limbaugh's wedding, drawing ire from leftists. His response: "I want to build bridges, not build walls." He played Arizona when many artists boycotted, and played Israel as well.

Fact of the day: Vice President Dick Cheney is 100% more supportive of gay marriage than President Barack Obama.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
August 31st, 2010 at 5:12:56 PM permalink

Well, sometimes they attribute thigs Tina Fey said to Sarah Palin. I have to admit I grew up in a sort of blue-collar democrat (vs. socially liberal) household and didn't like Rush before I listened. In 1994 with Clinton so far left and the Contract w/America having nothing I didn't like I gave a listen. Glad I did.
mkl654321
mkl654321
August 31st, 2010 at 5:14:34 PM permalink

So he advocates burning witches, corporal punishment, and Colonial stoning as well then. You think thats what he means when he wants us to to return to 'traditional American values'. I wonder if you could be wrong and thats not what he means at all.

For one thing, he professes to belief in Gawd, which alone makes him of suspect intellect, but he doesn't leave it there. Freedom of religion is one of those "traditional American values" that neither he nor conservatives in general seem to want to get behind. He wants to construct an American theocracy; this was VERY evident in his recent speech. He also favors mandatory school prayer.

The few practices you mention above were primarily artifacts of COLONIAL America, but we'll let you slide on that one. The important thing is that for Beck and his Beckians, "traditonal" means a subserviant role for women, a state-sponsored theocracy, racial and sexual intolerance, and institutionalized bigotry. He may want to return to the "good old days"; I don't, because there was nothing good about them.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
August 31st, 2010 at 5:16:31 PM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

On the anniversary of MLK's I Have a Dream Speech, Beck had a rally on the Mall "Reclaiming Honor" for conservatives.

I enjoy Glenn Beck. He's a likable and funny guy. But if you don't think that's sensationalist, you've been sucked into the vortex. It's in the same vein as the ground zero mosque, only Beck's rally was literally in the same place as MLK's speech.

Since when does MLK own the date. And how does a rally on the same spot compare with a place of worship for the same religion that bred the extremests that destroyed the WTC and killed 3,000+ people?
cclub79
cclub79
August 31st, 2010 at 5:25:16 PM permalink

Since when does MLK own the date. And how does a rally on the same spot compare with a place of worship for the same religion that bred the extremests that destroyed the WTC and killed 3,000+ people?

Yeah, I REALLY didn't understand that comparison when people were making it this weekend. The "Mosque" is near the site of one of America's darkest days. I can understand the argument that it is "insensitive". The MLK speech was one of America's strongest, most pivotal, proudest days. How is it insensitive to celebrate that day, in any way possible? Reflections and reminders of that day aren't filled with sadness, loss, and tragedy, as 9/11 is. They are filled with pride, optimism, and strength. They should be echoed by any and all, as often as possible. It's days like that and men like King that make me proud of all of the things we have done to better ourselves as a people. There have been steps backward and steps sideways, but overall, I do believe this country has done more to advance good in the world than any that has come before. And people like Martin Luther King, Jr. hold an eternal place in that advancement.
mkl654321
mkl654321
August 31st, 2010 at 5:25:17 PM permalink

Listen to any of her speeches and strain to find anything but orotund generalities and tired cliches. She gives the impression--doubtless, accurate--that she has NO ability to think on her feet or be extemporaneous. Case in point--her 2008 TV interviews with, I believe, Katie Couric. She completely fumbled her way through those interviews. She couldn't answer some very basic questions about domestic and foreign policy. She appeared lost at sea, and the worst part is that she had been intensively coached for dozens of hours beforehand. If she had appeared to be anything but a total airhead during those interviews, she and McCain probably would have beaten Obama--they had tremendous momentum at the time. But most Americans couldn't abide the thought of McCain croaking and Palin being in charge, maybe firing nukes at Miami and Kansas City (ooopsy!).

I also remember a speech she gave where she wrote notes on her hand, and then couldn't read them...not exactly a confidence-builder.

In any case, it isn't necessary to list the stupid things she's said---you can get a better impression of her intellect by listening to her, and perceiving the things she DOESN'T say, the observations she doesn't make, and the perceptions she fails to have. She comes across as an intellectual lightweight, and to be fair, she's probably not as paralyzingly dumb as she appears--she just doesn't handle the spotlight well (but she's getting better, since her handlers have been smart enough to only have her preaching to the choir).
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
August 31st, 2010 at 5:29:07 PM permalink

For one thing, he professes to belief in Gawd, which alone makes him of suspect intellect, ....

mkl, you are the historian, not I. Which presidents of the US did not profess such a belief? (Spelling notwithstanding.)

BTW, I'm not taking any stance on Beck. I go to some effort to learn as little as possible about such folk.
mkl654321
mkl654321
August 31st, 2010 at 5:34:28 PM permalink

Extremism isn't confined to the Muslim religion. Our own homegrown Christian nutjobs are pretty good at that, themselves. I personally separate the Muslim religion from Islamic politics, and I also realize that the extremist murderers who use Islam as a pretext are actually acting in defiance of what Islam teaches.

You need to realize that we have 1 million+ Muslims in this country, and more mosques than Saudi Arabia. The vast majority of them are peaceful and obey the law. They are AS MUCH A PART OF AMERICA as Christians are.

I at first opposed the mosque as being "insensitive". But then I thought, what better way to show that we, as Americans, are different from those Muslims in other countries who preach violence, intolerance, and hatred? By allowing the mosque to be built, we show that we understand the difference between Islam and Islamic extremism.
thecesspit
thecesspit
August 31st, 2010 at 5:38:18 PM permalink

LOL, I must be an idiot too, I missed that completely. Can you tell us some of the idiotic things she's said so we'll all be enlightened? If she's a 'complete' idiot, everything must be idiotic that comes out of her mouth. just the top 10 will be sufficient, thanks.

Palin is an easy target explaining her international experience : "They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."

Palin on how to fix the oil leak in the Gulf : "The Dutch they are known and the Norwegians, they are known for dikes and for cleaning up water and for dealing with spills."

Palin on Afghanistan "They are also building schools for the Afghan children so that there is hope and opportunity in our neighboring country of Afghanistan."

Palin on her choice of newpaper : "All of 'em, any of 'em that have been in front of me over all these years."

She's a political lightweight in terms of policy, in terms of understanding the issues and America's place in the world. While Beck can string an argument together, Palin hasn't strung together anything more than some "downhome" effervescence and rhetoric. She is froth, and does the right no favours at all in any debate or attack on Obama's policies.

I do like the fact Beck has his 9-12 manifesto. It's clear and it's easy to see, and people can debate it.

Attack politics, whether it's 4 years ago, or today is not constructive. That goes for Limbaugh and Franken both.

On Beck's lightweight history, there's the 'social justice is a code word for Nazism and Communism', which fails to see the route of either, there's his lack of understanding of Darwin's theories (Darwin did not invent racism, nor was Hitler inspired by Darwin's theory, nor does he understand the scientific term "theory"). These are areas i've seen him talk about things he doesn't understand well enough.

I can't find any verifiable link to his young earth creationism talks, or his thoughts on climate change, so can't really comment in depth on where he gets it wrong in this forum, as no doubt I'd get run down without giving the correct sources. I would suspect Beck would be able to actually debate these things, if he cared to. Not as much mileage in selling numbers on a TV show though.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
avargov
avargov
  • Threads: 16
August 31st, 2010 at 5:41:58 PM permalink

For one thing, he professes to belief in Gawd, which alone makes him of suspect intellect, but he doesn't leave it there. Freedom of religion is one of those "traditional American values" that neither he nor conservatives in general seem to want to get behind. He wants to construct an American theocracy; this was VERY evident in his recent speech. He also favors mandatory school prayer.

The few practices you mention above were primarily artifacts of COLONIAL America, but we'll let you slide on that one. The important thing is that for Beck and his Beckians, "traditonal" means a subserviant role for women, a state-sponsored theocracy, racial and sexual intolerance, and institutionalized bigotry. He may want to return to the "good old days"; I don't, because there was nothing good about them.

I long for the 'good ole days'...of course, I think those days are before Steve Wynn came to town...
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes." ~ William Gibson
mkl654321
mkl654321
August 31st, 2010 at 5:42:31 PM permalink
Quote: Doc

mkl, you are the historian, not I. Which presidents of the US did not profess such a belief? (Spelling notwithstanding.)

BTW, I'm not taking any stance on Beck. I go to some effort to learn as little as possible about such folk.

Well, I doubt that anyone could ever have been elected President without at least PRETENDING to believe in Gawd, but I also suspect that there have been more than a couple of atheists in the Ovoid Office. There are actually two presidents I can think of whose inadvertent remarks suggested that they did not believe in Gawd, but I won't name them as I don't want to fire up a brand-new discussion. In any case, for Presidents, profession of belief would have been pro forma, regardless of sincerity.

Beck, on the other hand, appears to be perfectly sincere in his wanting the United States to be ruled by the sword of Gawd. I realize that that could be a fabricated persona as well, but I doubt it.

I would be thrilled to see a Presidential candidate step up to the podium and say, "There is no God, religion is nonsense, and the only thing that matters is what is real." Of course, somebody would then immediately shoot him for blaspheming, but it would be nice if someone could actually dare to say it. Speaking the truth (see: Social Security) is deadly in politics, literally or figuratively.
thecesspit
thecesspit
August 31st, 2010 at 5:44:02 PM permalink
I find it amusing that free marketeer, semi-liberterians would say that the government (city, state or federal) has any say on what a building is used for in a certain location.
mkl654321
mkl654321
August 31st, 2010 at 5:45:41 PM permalink
Quote: avargov

I long for the 'good ole days'...of course, I think those days are before Steve Wynn came to town...

Now there's a guy I can believe in. God would be more popular if he served buffets the way Steve-O does.
avargov
avargov
August 31st, 2010 at 5:46:39 PM permalink
If I am correct...I thnk Beck is a self-proclaimed Mormon. That explains a bunch I suspect.
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes." ~ William Gibson
mkl654321
mkl654321
August 31st, 2010 at 5:47:50 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

I find it amusing that free marketeer, semi-liberterians would say that the government (city, state or federal) has any say on what a building is used for in a certain location.

Then I take it you would be fine with a chicken farm next door and a steel mill across the street, not to mention a toxic waste disposal area behind your house. After all, zoning laws are so commie.
thecesspit
thecesspit
August 31st, 2010 at 5:55:53 PM permalink

If I am correct...I thnk Beck is a self-proclaimed Mormon. That explains a bunch I suspect.

Beck converted to Mormonism after a long search for a religion that fitted to his world view.

he was raised a Roman Catholic.
cclub79
cclub79
August 31st, 2010 at 5:56:52 PM permalink

How can your religion be anything other than self-proclaimed? Other than Obama, of course. Obama is a kook-proclaimed Muslim.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
August 31st, 2010 at 6:01:22 PM permalink

Listen to any of her speeches and strain to find anything but orotund generalities and tired cliches. She gives the impression--doubtless, accurate--that she has NO ability to think on her feet or be extemporaneous. Case in point--her 2008 TV interviews with, I believe, Katie Couric. She completely fumbled her way through those interviews. She couldn't answer some very basic questions about domestic and foreign policy. She appeared lost at sea, and the worst part is that she had been intensively coached for dozens of hours beforehand. If she had appeared to be anything but a total airhead during those interviews, she and McCain probably would have beaten Obama--they had tremendous momentum at the time. But most Americans couldn't abide the thought of McCain croaking and Palin being in charge, maybe firing nukes at Miami and Kansas City (ooopsy!).

So, you base your opinion of her based on basically her very first big interview. An interview btw given by a network with a history of bias in burying stories that hurt democrats (Monica) and making up ones that hurt Republicans (Memogagte.) At the same time, Obama was literally afraid to go on FNC because they give a fair and balanced interview and don't fawn all over him? Would Katie ever ask Onbama "what do you read?"

Quote:

I also remember a speech she gave where she wrote notes on her hand, and then couldn't read them...not exactly a confidence-builder.

Using notes for a speech? I guess you must think Obama is a total lightweight since he can't do anything w/o his teleprompter, to the point where he "introduced himself" when the wrong text was loaded? She wrote three words and gave a speech, I call that A GOOD SPEAKER!

Quote:

In any case, it isn't necessary to list the stupid things she's said---you can get a better impression of her intellect by listening to her, and perceiving the things she DOESN'T say, the observations she doesn't make, and the perceptions she fails to have. She comes across as an intellectual lightweight, and to be fair, she's probably not as paralyzingly dumb as she appears--she just doesn't handle the spotlight well (but she's getting better, since her handlers have been smart enough to only have her preaching to the choir).

Lets look at her career. Ran a town. Ran a state. Packs em in with her magnetic personality. Cleaned up the town and state she ran. Contrast this to Obama who was a state senator with a history of voting "present." After a short time runs against weak competition to sit in the US Senate. After 145 days decides he is qualifdied to run for POTUS. Says there are 57 states. Says he wants to run the coal industry out of business. Says he has a health care reform plan yet signs what his party's own congress puts in front of him. Talks about his "muslim faith" until Stephnanopolis corrects him then barely takes it back. Says he doesn't know what his own preacher is preaching. I can go on and on.

But you prove my point--Palin drives the left crazy. GOD LOVE HER!
avargov
avargov
August 31st, 2010 at 6:01:50 PM permalink
Quote: cclub79

How can your religion be anything other than self-proclaimed? Other than Obama, of course. Obama is a kook-proclaimed Muslim.

Very good point cclub...
thecesspit
thecesspit
August 31st, 2010 at 6:02:43 PM permalink

Then I take it you would be fine with a chicken farm next door and a steel mill across the street, not to mention a toxic waste disposal area behind your house. After all, zoning laws are so commie.

Oh I'd prefer it didn't happen, indeed. I'm just saying, for a group that believes in small givernment that should have little or no say in it's citizens beliefs and activities, building a mosque and community centre in an area where one would expect to find this sort of thing in general... well, isn't this big government poking it's ole' nose in and wasting our taxes?

Personally, I don't care, but I'm not an American, don't live in New York and this didn't happen to me. But I'd probably not care if there was a new Catholic church built near Deal barracks, a German cultural centre and Beer Cellar opened in Coventry, an Argentinian played football in Portsmouth, or Yo! Sushi and Nintendo created a entertainment complex near to the Chelsea pensioners home.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
August 31st, 2010 at 6:12:49 PM permalink

Extremism isn't confined to the Muslim religion. Our own homegrown Christian nutjobs are pretty good at that, themselves. I personally separate the Muslim religion from Islamic politics, and I also realize that the extremist murderers who use Islam as a pretext are actually acting in defiance of what Islam teaches.

Are you crazy? Where are Christians:

crashing planes into buildings
trying to intentionally paralize somone
cutting off hands
stoning women for the crime of *being* raped
arresting people for bringing Korans into their country
killing preacers of other religions during the service for not "converting on the spot?"

I could continue but why bother? You seem to be the type who is an atheist with a bee up your tail about any religion *except* Islam.

Quote:

You need to realize that we have 1 million+ Muslims in this country, and more mosques than Saudi Arabia. The vast majority of them are peaceful and obey the law. They are AS MUCH A PART OF AMERICA as Christians are.

I at first opposed the mosque as being "insensitive". But then I thought, what better way to show that we, as Americans, are different from those Muslims in other countries who preach violence, intolerance, and hatred? By allowing the mosque to be built, we show that we understand the difference between Islam and Islamic extremism.

Islam has a history of extremism. When it was founded it was "tollerant" of other religions as long as those practicing the other religion paid a 50% tax. We have done nothing but show tolerance to Islam since 9/11. It is time they showed some respect and tolerance and built the mosquq elsewhere.

Although if it is put there I'd like someone to test *their* tolerance by letting them build a BBQ Rib joint right next door.
cclub79
cclub79
August 31st, 2010 at 6:15:19 PM permalink

Very good point cclub...

I hate the "Obama is a Muslim" argument so much. He's not a Muslim. He's a LIBERAL. Liberals bend over backwards to SHOW uber-tolerance and fairness to different groups that they feel are oppressed. Obama feels Muslims are oppressed in this country and around the world, so he has to do everything he can to make them feel better. If that means turning NASA into a Muslim sensitivity organization, it doesn't mean he's trying to "help his fellow Muslims", it's the same liberal guilt that we've always seen. In fact, it probably does more to prove he ISN'T a Muslim.
docsjs
docsjs
  • Threads: 22
August 31st, 2010 at 6:16:32 PM permalink
I am really upset finding so much support for Palin an Beck. Is this what our couintry is? Are people so foolish and easily led? Are these the people you look up to? I don't mind conservative knee-jerk reactions to questions or proposals, but please show some reason and thought. There are many ways to govern or solve problems, but let us be thoughtful and analytical.
cclub79
cclub79
August 31st, 2010 at 6:17:55 PM permalink
Quote: docsjs

Is this what our couintry is? Are people so foolish and easily led?

Yes, and for further proof, see: Election, Presidential, 2008.

I really think Beck owes Obama royalties, because everything he's doing is straight out of the Summer of 2008. Soaring rhetoric about changing/restoring honor. Huge masses of people that might not all know why they are there, but they are just mad at who's been in power. They want something different. And they are hearing what they think they want to hear.

EDIT: And, just like 2008, it is being done PEACEFULLY 99% of the time.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 31st, 2010 at 6:21:54 PM permalink

For one thing, he professes to belief in Gawd, which alone makes him of suspect intellect,

Good grief.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 31st, 2010 at 6:25:15 PM permalink

L
In any case, it isn't necessary to list the stupid things she's said---.

ROTFLMAO!! Of course not, why bother. Are you kidding?
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
August 31st, 2010 at 6:25:26 PM permalink
Quote: docsjs

I am really upset finding so much support for Palin an Beck. Is this what our couintry is? Are people so foolish and easily led? Are these the people you look up to? I don't mind conservative knee-jerk reactions to questions or proposals, but please show some reason and thought. There are many ways to govern or solve problems, but let us be thoughtful and analytica.

Uh,

"YES WE CAN! YES WE CAN! YES WE CAN!"

Ring a bell?

Am I the only person who sees parallels between Obama and "Animal Farm?"

YES WE CAN--Four legs good, two legs bad
Jones will come back--the GOP will be back in charge
All animals are equal but some are more equal than others--obamacare and all its special breaks, plus more

hmmm
avargov
avargov
August 31st, 2010 at 6:26:46 PM permalink
Quote: cclub79

I hate the "Obama is a Muslim" argument so much. He's not a Muslim. He's a LIBERAL. Liberals bend over backwards to SHOW uber-tolerance and fairness to different groups that they feel are oppressed. Obama feels Muslims are oppressed in this country and around the world, so he has to do everything he can to make them feel better. If that means turning NASA into a Muslim sensitivity organization, it doesn't mean he's trying to "help his fellow Muslims", it's the same liberal guilt that we've always seen. In fact, it probably does more to prove he ISN'T a Muslim.

Whoa! Tap the brakes brotha! My comment was aimed at your 'self-proclaimed' reply. I couldn't care less if Obama is a Muslim. BTW, I am a social liberal, and a fiscal conervative. Translation: People can do whatever they want, just don't ask or expect me to pay for it, or even chip in!
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 31st, 2010 at 6:30:39 PM permalink
She is froth, and does the right no favours at all in any debate or attack on Obama's policies.>>

So when she supports candidates and they get elected, she's just fooling the electorate with her froth. When they pack the house to hear her speak, she's really kidding them with her stupidity. She connects with millions of Americans, they love her. Are they as stupid as she is, or is she much dumber than them? Its all very confusing.
cclub79
cclub79
August 31st, 2010 at 6:30:42 PM permalink

Whoa! Tap the brakes brotha! My comment was aimed at your 'self-proclaimed' reply. I couldn't care less if Obama is a Muslim. BTW, I am a social liberal, and a fiscal conervative. Translation: People can do whatever they want, just don't ask or expect me to pay for it, or even chip in!

I know, I wasn't suggesting you thought as much. It was just a piggy-back post when I thought about the people that think he was a Muslim and make it their ridiculous rallying cry. As if THAT'S what's been his problem.
mkl654321
mkl654321
August 31st, 2010 at 6:35:56 PM permalink

So, you base your opinion of her based on basically her very first big interview. An interview btw given by a network with a history of bias in burying stories that hurt democrats (Monica) and making up ones that hurt Republicans (Memogagte.) At the same time, Obama was literally afraid to go on FNC because they give a fair and balanced interview and don't fawn all over him? Would Katie ever ask Onbama "what do you read?"
Using notes for a speech? I guess you must think Obama is a total lightweight since he can't do anything w/o his teleprompter, to the point where he "introduced himself" when the wrong text was loaded? She wrote three words and gave a speech, I call that A GOOD SPEAKER!
Lets look at her career. Ran a town. Ran a state. Packs em in with her magnetic personality. Cleaned up the town and state she ran. Contrast this to Obama who was a state senator with a history of voting "present." After a short time runs against weak competition to sit in the US Senate. After 145 days decides he is qualifdied to run for POTUS. Says there are 57 states. Says he wants to run the coal industry out of business. Says he has a health care reform plan yet signs what his party's own congress puts in front of him. Talks about his "muslim faith" until Stephnanopolis corrects him then barely takes it back. Says he doesn't know what his own preacher is preaching. I can go on and on.

But you prove my point--Palin drives the left crazy. GOD LOVE HER!

First of all, I don't like Obama either. One can dislike the Republican/Tea Party demagogues without being a Democrat/liberal.

I think an objective assessment of Palin's "hand" speech would include wondering why she didn't use a piece of paper, and why the simple act of writing the words on her hand didn't cause her to remember them. This suggests intellectual incapacity.

I don't base my opinion on that interview--as you'll realize if you read my post for content. I was highly favorably disposed to her until then, and I gave her a pass--defended her to some friends--with the benefit of the doubt that she had stage fright rather than, as it appeared, she was a clueless ditz. Subsequent public appearances have, sadly,
convinced me that that first impression was correct--she IS a clueless ditz.

Obama is no prize, either, but I don't see how that has anything whatsoever with an assessment of Palin. Though I'm certain who I would rather have in the Oval Office right now.
thecesspit
thecesspit
August 31st, 2010 at 6:37:44 PM permalink

She is froth, and does the right no favours at all in any debate or attack on Obama's policies.>>

So when she supports candidates and they get elected, she's just fooling the electorate with her froth.

Yes. As have politicians before her and as will others after her.

Quote:

When they pack the house to hear her speak, she's really kidding them with her stupidity.

Yes. As have politicians before her and as will others after her.

Quote:

She connects with millions of Americans, they love her. Are they as stupid as she is, or is she much dumber than them? Its all very confusing.

Some of them, indeed they are. There's dumb people the world over who will follow other dumb people to do dumb things.

I don't see how it's confusing. Arguing from popular appeal is hardly an argument at all.

I did provide a list of some the silly things she has said. I honestly think if McCain hadn't picked her as his running mate a) we'd never have heard anything from her and b) the last election would have been a much closer run thing.

I await Obamacare to be enacted. Stop those damn pesky Alaskan's sneaking over the border and using up the social healthcare I pay for every month.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 31st, 2010 at 6:40:28 PM permalink

Although if it is put there I'd like someone to test *their* tolerance by letting them build a BBQ Rib joint right next door.

Or a Gay bar.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
August 31st, 2010 at 6:42:42 PM permalink

I think an objective assessment of Palin's "hand" speech would include wondering why she didn't use a piece of paper, and why the simple act of writing the words on her hand didn't cause her to remember them. This suggests intellectual incapacity.

She stated after. A thought popped into her head and she had a pen but no paper. Like in the USMC, she improvised, she adapted, she overcame. I think it shows a lot of intelect and thinking on her feet to just look at a few words than to deliver a word-for-word telepromoter speech.

Quote:

Obama is no prize, either, but I don't see how that has anything whatsoever with an assessment of Palin. Though I'm certain who I would rather have in the Oval Office right now.

Simple, Obama has shown himself to be more of a ditz, but the media and comedians ignore it. As for who to rather have in the Oval Office, did you see tonight's speech? Seems like Obama's plan for Afghanistan and Iraq is "declare victory and go home." I'll take Sarah over him any day.
  • Jump to: