Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1390
February 28th, 2014 at 10:42:02 AM permalink
I just posted Doc's review of the Cosmopolitan. This is one the longest reviews on the site and I think sets a new record for the most pictures.

Doc did an outstanding job and I think deserves a round of applause.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
RogerKint
RogerKint
  • Threads: 15
February 28th, 2014 at 11:06:26 AM permalink
Nice selfie at the end, Wiz!

The boxing ring brings back memories. My father claimed that in the 50s many schools had boxing rings so, that if boys fought, the PE coach would have them put on gloves and box. I doubt this is true and was probably an excuse to teach me how to box. I wish he taught me advanced math instead.

Very enjoyable review but very jealous of your offer, Doc. My girlfriend and I played $5 9/6 jacks here quite a bit during the rebate promo and have not even gotten a "welcome to the club" mailer. We are probably not hip enough.
100% risk of ruin
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1390
February 28th, 2014 at 11:17:48 AM permalink
Quote: RogerKint

The boxing ring brings back memories. My father claimed that in the 50s many schools had boxing rings so, that if boys fought, the PE coach would have them put on gloves and box.

This is getting off topic already, and I'll split it off it it goes too far, but in an episode of The Office, as well as the movie Charlie's Angels, anybody could evidently put on big inflatable sumo wrestler outfits and then try to knock each other down/out of the ring. It looked like great fun. Has anyone ever seen this in real life?
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Venthus
Venthus
  • Threads: 23
February 28th, 2014 at 11:36:04 AM permalink
Reading the review right now (and only part way through)...

I feel like it should be mentioned that there's a 25$ resort fee per night that isn't waived, even with a fully comp'd room. Ordinarily I wouldn't say it should be stated, but that suddenly feels relevant to me after reading "What I do know is that I got it for two nights for less than I frequently pay for one night in a standard room at a Comfort Inn."
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
February 28th, 2014 at 11:47:16 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

This is getting off topic already, and I'll split it off it it goes too far, but in an episode of The Office, as well as the movie Charlie's Angels, anybody could evidently put on big inflatable sumo wrestler outfits and then try to knock each other down/out of the ring. It looked like great fun. Has anyone ever seen this in real life?

Yes, we did that at an event when I was in high school. I wasn't actually there but I saw pictures and heard that it was a lot of fun. So I guess technically I haven't seen it in real life, but I can confirm that it does exist in real life, and not just in fiction. Unless everyone in my high school was playing a big trick on me :).
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
February 28th, 2014 at 12:06:51 PM permalink
Quote: Venthus

I feel like it should be mentioned that there's a 25$ resort fee per night that isn't waived, even with a fully comp'd room.

It's comped for some people. I've seen reports on other message boards that they booked a generic 2 night offer and didn't even have to pay the resort fee at the Cosmo.
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 45
February 28th, 2014 at 12:09:48 PM permalink
Quote: Venthus

I feel like it should be mentioned that there's a 25$ resort fee per night that isn't waived, even with a fully comp'd room.

My final statement from the Cosmopolitan has four entries. The first one says "Resort Fee Inclusions" and has no charge associated with it. The next two (two-night stay) are listed as "Rooms $50 upgrade ($56 w/tax)." The last one says "Front Desk AMEX" and lists a credit (my payment) of $112, with a zero balance shown at the bottom.

All I can say is that it appears that any resort fee was completely waived as part of my original offer and that I paid for nothing except the nightly $50 + tax for the upgrade to the suite. And yes, $112 for two nights is less than I frequently pay for a single night at a Comfort Inn, even in some Podunk towns.

Of course, since this was my first stay at the Cosmopolitan, I have no idea when they waive resort fees and when they don't. I just know that I only paid a total of $112, with no charge described as a resort fee.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 45
February 28th, 2014 at 12:13:41 PM permalink
Quote: RogerKint

... very jealous of your offer, Doc.

Wish I had some clue as to how to negotiate/beg for a similar offer when we are back out there for this year's WoVCon in April. I kinda doubt that they offer much in return for favorable reviews posted on web sites.
geoff
geoff
  • Threads: 3
February 28th, 2014 at 12:13:42 PM permalink
That's one of the things I find frustrating about Vegas. Sometimes I'll go somewhere and it'll be everything waived and then next time not with no rhyme or reason for why. I only wish there was a hotel on the strip or downtown that didn't have the resort fee at all and I would give them my business. To me the resort fee is called "The Price". Put everything you need me to pay in there and move on.
Venthus
Venthus
  • Threads: 23
February 28th, 2014 at 12:25:32 PM permalink
Huh. I've stayed at the Cosmo once and just booked a few days ago (both comp'd) and asked about resort fees... both times, they told me that they always charge resort fees, regardless if the room was comp'd or not.

Sorry about that!

Edit: As a point of reference for how much action I showed... I first received 2 weekday nights after running through my loss rebate with what I'd estimate to be 600$ coin-in. On the trip I used those two free nights, I took an absolute beating flat betting 25$ and ran through 500$ in about half an hour. (At this point, I said screw it to the Cosmo, went to 4Queens and won it back over the span of four hours on High Card Flush.) I'm currently getting weekend tournament invites and 2 anytime nights with 50$ in promo chips.

• Jump to: