teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
February 6th, 2011 at 6:21:07 PM permalink
How many of your trips to Las Vegas were more like this writer's than the "typical" Vegas trip?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/06/travel/06las-vegas.html?_r=2&emc=eta1&pagewanted=all
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
February 6th, 2011 at 7:29:17 PM permalink
Probably the nicest homage to East Fremont street in a long time. The couple that owns the Beat coffee house and Downtown Cocktail Lounge are often mentioned as serious candidates for mayor.
NicksGamingStuff
NicksGamingStuff
  • Threads: 50
February 6th, 2011 at 8:05:40 PM permalink
I don't do nightclubs like most people my age do, I don't see the trill in paying $50+ to get into a club with music so loud it gives you a headache and drinks that are almost $20 each, compared to females that get free cover and free drinks, its BS. On a side note I have found I enjoy spending time downtown more than the strip, I haven't stayed downtown yet. Perhaps when I visit after my birthday Vegas trip (maybe for WOV CON). How typical, I want a lemon drop atmosphere, but at a coors price! I will say the shows havent gotten old yet, I have seen all the good ones and I dont mind seeing them again since there is always something new I notice!
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
February 8th, 2011 at 8:07:06 AM permalink
There are a number of problems with this article. Just for starters, the writer at first says he traveled to Las Vegas with no friends or contacts. Later he says he had contact with a friend who is a VIP host at the Palms. Did he make friends with her on the trip or what? Those are details a decent article would cover without making the reader wonder what's going on.
mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
February 8th, 2011 at 10:44:31 AM permalink
Wow. This guy finds out--to his utter amazement--that Las Vegas is inhabited by actual people, and has edible food. Who woulda thunk it?

New Yorkers really DO live on a mental and cultural as well as a physical island. My mother, who grew up in Queens, pretty much viewed the entire US (and perhaps the world) as being divided into two regions--New York City, and everywhere else.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
February 8th, 2011 at 11:23:43 AM permalink
Quote: NicksGamingStuff

I don't do nightclubs like most people my age do, I don't see the trill in paying $50+ to get into a club with music so loud it gives you a headache and drinks that are almost $20 each, compared to females that get free cover and free drinks, its BS.

I never "got" the night club/disco/video bar/etc "scene", even when I was the right age for it. I don't understand why the music has to be so loud. But then i also don't enjoy dancing, so that might have something to do with it.

As to drinks, Vegas is the quintessential place for free drinks. Paying for them isn't stupid, but paying the hyper-inflated prices I gather night clubs charge, strikes me as moronic.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
  • Jump to: