Thread Rating:

ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 106
May 18th, 2020 at 8:47:50 AM permalink
Ground has just broken on the new Pinball Hall of Fame site, on the northbound side of the Strip, south of Mandalay Bay and north of the Welcome to Las Vegas sign. It is planned to be about three times as large as the current site on Tropicana between Tamarus and Spencer, just east of UNLV. The plan is for it to be open no later than early next year, although I remember how hard it was to move the machines from the older site (Tropicana and Pecos) to the current one.

Facebook video of the groundbreaking - note that it may be muted by default, but there is sound
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 192
May 18th, 2020 at 8:57:02 AM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

Ground has just broken on the new Pinball Hall of Fame site, on the northbound side of the Strip, south of Mandalay Bay and north of the Welcome to Las Vegas sign. It is planned to be about three times as large as the current site on Tropicana between Tamarus and Spencer, just east of UNLV. The plan is for it to be open no later than early next year, although I remember how hard it was to move the machines from the older site (Tropicana and Pecos) to the current one.

Facebook video of the groundbreaking - note that it may be muted by default, but there is sound

When I moved to Henderson in 2016, I wanted to open a shop. I thought the shopping center right next to the HOF would be ideal but I was warned the HOF would be leaving soon. I hired a company that did traffic analysis and it determined the HOF was very very under-utilized. I'm not sure how moving to a bigger, more expensive facility will work out for them, but I wish them well.
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 41
Thanks for this post from:
AxelWolf
May 18th, 2020 at 9:46:20 AM permalink
Their logic is, as far as tourists are concerned, if you're not on The Strip or the Fremont Experience you don't exist, or are too far away to be bothered with. So they're gambling that they can tap into the tourist market with a more prominent location while still keeping the locals. As a pinball wizard in my youth, I also wish them well.
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
IndyJeffrey
IndyJeffrey
  • Threads: 11
May 18th, 2020 at 11:16:36 AM permalink
I love the current Pinball Hall of Fame. Visit just about every time I am in Las Vegas. I wish them well and hope it works out.
billryan
billryan
May 18th, 2020 at 11:25:54 AM permalink
Quote: IndyJeffrey

I love the current Pinball Hall of Fame. Visit just about every time I am in Las Vegas. I wish them well and hope it works out.

The land costs over four million dollars. That's a chunk of change for a non-profit.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 106
May 18th, 2020 at 1:00:28 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

The land costs over four million dollars. That's a chunk of change for a non-profit.

The current location, or the new one?

I think the owner said that the previous owner of the new location kept that land pretty much solely for the billboard that's there. The March 2019 photo on Google Maps has signs for Joe's Seafood/Prime Rib/Steak on one side and a brand of cannabis vaping pens on the other.
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 234
Thanks for this post from:
IndyJeffrey
May 18th, 2020 at 7:18:20 PM permalink
The off-strip plain jane location had a certain bare bones charm about it, especially when they donated a lot of money to the Salvation Army.
Like the castle in its corner In a medieval game; I foresee terrible trouble And I stay here just the same
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 78
May 18th, 2020 at 7:21:14 PM permalink
Before he had the Hall of Fame, Tim used to have a yearly party at his house where he would let people go in his barn and he would have many of the games up and playable.
Order from chaos
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
  • Threads: 70
May 18th, 2020 at 9:01:31 PM permalink
In the late 90s, Tim gave my friends and me a tour of his pinball warehouse and bowling ball pyramid a bunch of strangers who were pinball enthusiasts and happened to be in town. Such a nice guy. I love supporting the HoF.
billryan
billryan
May 18th, 2020 at 9:22:04 PM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

The current location, or the new one?

I think the owner said that the previous owner of the new location kept that land pretty much solely for the billboard that's there. The March 2019 photo on Google Maps has signs for Joe's Seafood/Prime Rib/Steak on one side and a brand of cannabis vaping pens on the other.

He paid $4.6 Million for the land at auction for the Strip property. It's pretty big, going very deep. According to the video, the building will be set well back from the strip.

• Jump to: