2 votes (8.33%)
7 votes (29.16%)

24 members have voted

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
April 5th, 2019 at 4:24:56 PM permalink
The registration for the ticket sale has closed so I'll quite bothering everyone with it. However, I do have a query for the forum.

I've enlisted the help of a couple friends who don't have enough credit to charge the tickets. While just giving them cash is an option to boost their borrowing power, I'm concerned the all that dots that would need to be connected wouldn't happen in time. Then I thought about buying a pre-paid debit card for $1,000 each, but the most I've seen them for is $500. I saw one at Walgreens that seemed to take any amount, but there were lots of fees in the rules on the back side. What is my question? Do you think Burning Man would accept my credit card for their purchase. Keep in mind I'm registered as well and they may play the "two tickets per person" card. I also don't even know if they would take the payment if the name on the account didn't match the account anyway. I guess my question is what would you do in my shoes?
Last edited by: Wizard on Apr 5, 2019
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
7craps
7craps
  • Threads: 18
April 5th, 2019 at 5:04:11 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

The registration for the ticket sale has closed so I'll quite bothering everyone with it. However, I do have a query for the forum.

Interesting. I just signed up (had looked a few days ago and was scared off by the 'TEST' they had you walk through. I missed one question so I aint cool no more.

and now they want a lot of personal information on My Profile page.
should I continue or is this actually dead?
Your call

added:
ok now, I did (do) not see a link to register.
well, maybe next year
Last edited by: 7craps on Apr 5, 2019
winsome johnny (not Win some johnny)
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
April 5th, 2019 at 5:28:05 PM permalink

I've enlisted the help of a couple friends who don't have enough credit to charge the tickets. While just giving them cash is an option to boost their borrowing power, I'm concerned the all the dots that would need to be connected wouldn't happen in time. Then I thought about buying a pre-paid debit card for $1,000 each, but the most I've seen them for is $500. I saw one at Walgreens that seemed to take any amount, but there were lots of fees in the rules on the back side. What is my question? Do you think Burning Man would accept my credit card for their purchase. Keep in mind I'm registered as well and they may play the "two tickets per person" card. I also don't even know if you would take the payment if the name on the account didn't match the account anyway. I guess my question is what would you do in my shoes?

It seems like you've got quite a few people on your side already that have purchasing power. How did you expect not to wind up with the few tickets you need?
Or are you just trying to get as many for resale as possible? Burning Man values?
I'm starting to wonder if I am wasting my and my wife's time.
I definitely wouldn't hand out credit cards to people...lol
I'm pretty sure you have multiple credit cards. I have already registered under 3 different addresses.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
April 5th, 2019 at 7:43:06 PM permalink
Quote: 7craps

ok now, I did (do) not see a link to register.
well, maybe next year

Yep, the deadline was noon today. If you want to buy a cheap Burning Man ticket you have to jump through all their hoops, on time, and still have only a chance of getting one.

The big question now is how many tickets will team Wizard acquire?
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 262
April 6th, 2019 at 6:19:58 AM permalink

I guess my question is what would you do in my shoes?

I think you have already done it, ie you reached out to acquaintances who do have enough credit to purchase 2 tickets. I guess I would just tell the other friends "Thanks for offering, but don't worry about it".
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
April 6th, 2019 at 6:29:08 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

I'm going to Lockn music festival. Their major cost is not payroll, its paying for the musical talent.

I looked at the Lockn website, interesting. But my impression is that there is no seating and you would be standing the whole time ? So not for me, but more power to ya.

My next concert (as of right now) will be Blue Oyster Cult in a small venue, reserved seating. Sure, they're old, but it is fun seeing a band you like that you saw ~40 years ago.
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
April 6th, 2019 at 6:47:12 AM permalink
Quote: JohnnyQ

I looked at the Lockn website, interesting. But my impression is that there is no seating and you would be standing the whole time ? So not for me, but more power to ya.

You take one of those common camping folding chairs with you into the concert area.
I sit in my chair as I listen to music . Getting old
Have to admit, back in the day, was on my feet during whole Grateful Dead concerts. ;-)

My next concert (as of right now) will be Blue Oyster Cult in a small venue, reserved seating. Sure, they're old, but it is fun seeing a band you like that you saw ~40 years ago.

Cool, I like BOC. Don't fear the reaper and Godzilla are great songs
Have a good time
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
Thanked by
Ayecarumba
April 6th, 2019 at 6:48:57 AM permalink

Bring your cowbell.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
April 6th, 2019 at 10:31:25 AM permalink

Cool, I like BOC. Don't fear the reaper and Godzilla are great songs
Have a good time

I like "ETI" and "Cities on Flame with Rock and Roll" a little bit better. Before the show, which is much later this year, I will look up the lyrics so I can follow along better.

[ As a lark, I just looked up the B-52's to see if they are touring this year. They are. No shows near me. At least yet. ]

And now we return you to our regularly scheduled programming, Burning Man.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
April 6th, 2019 at 12:08:52 PM permalink
I am trying to figure out how much someone would have to pay me to go to this cesspool. Dry cesspool, but cesspool....
MaxPen
MaxPen
April 6th, 2019 at 12:47:10 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

I am trying to figure out how much someone would have to pay me to go to this cesspool. Dry cesspool, but cesspool....

I would need at least 4K and that's with a 1k discount for the first time.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
April 6th, 2019 at 4:01:05 PM permalink

I was just reading comments about my 2018 Burning Man video and had to share this one, in the interests of presenting both sides.

Sue Starlite sounds like a real fan of humanity. It’s too bad actual people played on her lawn.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
April 6th, 2019 at 4:11:55 PM permalink

... Do you think Burning Man would accept my credit card for their purchase. Keep in mind I'm registered as well and they may play the "two tickets per person" card. I also don't even know if they would take the payment if the name on the account didn't match the account anyway. I guess my question is what would you do in my shoes?

I’m pretty certain only one set of tickets can be purchased with your card (Mastercard or Visa only). I’m not sure if the name and or billing address has to match the registration, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they checked for a zip code match.

As for sending a prepaid card for $1,000 to someone who you only know through an internet board on gambling... I’ll take one of those...
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
April 6th, 2019 at 7:25:17 PM permalink
To answer my own question, someone suggested a "use once" credit card, that are associated with a permanent one. Unfortunately, my permanent card doesn't support them. If you're ever in my pickle, consider it.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
April 9th, 2019 at 10:58:05 AM permalink
25 more hours until the Main Sale begins.
MaxPen
MaxPen
April 9th, 2019 at 11:36:44 AM permalink
Just got the email invitation. What about the $100 vehicle passes? Try and buy those?
terapined
terapined
April 9th, 2019 at 11:58:23 AM permalink
Quote: MaxPen

Just got the email invitation. What about the $100 vehicle passes? Try and buy those?

A vehicle pass charge.
wow
Some festivals are sticking it to the attendees
I used do Wanee festival.
I boondocked at that festival. That means no hook up for my RV which is no big deal. Propane to heat the hot water tank, RV battery to power water pump to take a hot shower.
Wanee attendee numbers down, Allman Brothers were the main draw and they are no longer around
They raised their price at the gate by demanding I pay for an RV pass even though I was boondocking
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
April 9th, 2019 at 12:27:36 PM permalink
Wizard,

Got my link to the registration.

Pretended to buy a poster. FWIW, fantastic artwork on the last half dozen. If I had wallspace, I'd probaby buy some.

At checkout, they accepted Visa, MC, Discover, and Amex. I'm assuming those would be the same options offered for ticket purchase. Can you confirm?

You probably said this already, but to review: you want everybody to try for a vehicle pass in addition to 2 tickets, correct? Or just 2 tickets.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
April 9th, 2019 at 2:44:57 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Wizard,

Pretended to buy a poster. FWIW, fantastic artwork on the last half dozen. If I had wallspace, I'd probaby buy some.

At checkout, they accepted Visa, MC, Discover, and Amex. I'm assuming those would be the same options offered for ticket purchase. Can you confirm?

You probably said this already, but to review: you want everybody to try for a vehicle pass in addition to 2 tickets, correct? Or just 2 tickets.

Quote: Burning Man Ticket Info Page

GENERAL TICKET SALE INFO
All sales require registration through Burner Profiles. Make sure your Profile is complete, current, set up with your preferred email address, and that you know your log-in details.
Each sale has its own dedicated registration period.
Registering for a sale does not guarantee you access to a ticket or vehicle pass.
With the exception of participants in the Directed Group Sale, anyone purchasing tickets is excluded from all subsequent sales for the year, regardless of ticket price.
Unless otherwise stated, vehicle passes may only be purchased with an event ticket.
Only one order per person and per credit card is allowed.
You may not use the same credit card to purchase multiple orders.
MasterCard and Visa are the only credit/debit cards accepted.
All sales of Burning Man tickets and vehicle passes are final and no refunds will be issued for any reason.
All tickets bought through online sales are fully transferrable and eligible for name changes.
Tickets and vehicle passes may only be resold for face value. Any tickets or vehicle passes being sold for above face-value may be canceled without notice or refund.
We have a new ticketing partner! You will not need to create an account in advance of, or during, the purchase process.

Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
April 9th, 2019 at 3:01:38 PM permalink
Burning Man News:

After a public hearing regarding possible restrictions on the use permit Burning Man needs to host their event, which could potentially raise the cost of the event $10 million, and includes a requirement that trash cans be placed there by the organizers

Quote: Patrick Donnelly, Nevada state director for the Center for Biological Diversity

..., "We're dealing with a public lands user group that has had few controls put on their behaviors for decades and they want to see it stay that way," he said. "Burning Man is the single largest gathering on any sort of public lands in the country and needs to be treated the same way we treat a gold mine, an oilfield or an off-road vehicle race."...

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
April 9th, 2019 at 3:10:45 PM permalink

Wizard,

That's strange, and a little worrisome, I didn't get my link yet.

The ticket sale itself accepts only Visa and Mastercard.

Regarding the vehicle passes, yes, please get one of those to.

Thanks all who are helping!!!
terapined
terapined
April 9th, 2019 at 3:23:51 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

After a public hearing regarding possible restrictions on the use permit Burning Man needs to host their event, which could potentially raise the cost of the event $10 million, and includes a requirement that trash cans be placed there by the organizers

There aren't trash cans set up by BM?
WTF?
They want the attendees to take care of their own trash?
That only works to a certain point.
Festivals generate a lot of trash. A lot.
Huge festivals I go to have trash cans everywhere and have trash trucks that empty them throughout the festival because they fill so quickly.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
April 9th, 2019 at 3:27:50 PM permalink

There aren't trash cans set up by BM?
WTF?
They want the attendees to take care of their own trash?
That only works to a certain point.
Festivals generate a lot of trash. A lot.
Huge festivals I go to have trash cans everywhere and have trash trucks that empty them throughout the festival because they fill so quickly.

"Leave No Trace" is one of the Burning Man foundational tenents. Pack out everything you brought in. The organizers fear dumpsters would actually encourage more litter.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
April 9th, 2019 at 3:45:01 PM permalink
Ooh, good catch on the credit cards, Aye! Thanks. I was going to use my Amex. Would have sucked to get in, and then fail.

Yeah, I actually like that it's required you pack out your trash. Goes back at least 50 years with Boy Scout and Girl Scout primitive camping. People should be responsible for their refuse more often.

If this wasn't in the desert in the summer I'd do it. I really can't tolerate that kind of heat. But the general situation sounds like a great time to me.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
April 9th, 2019 at 4:32:39 PM permalink

If this wasn't in the desert in the summer I'd do it. I really can't tolerate that kind of heat. But the general situation sounds like a great time to me.

That shouldn't be your only reason not to go. Yes, it's hot during the day, and should be one reason against going for some people. However, a lot of people glamp in their RV's during the hottest part of the day and have fun at night. The nights are when Burning Man is at its best, with everything lit up and dancing and parties at every turn.

Those helping me obtain tickets get first priority in my trailer, if I end up going, which I don't promise.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
April 10th, 2019 at 5:31:22 AM permalink
Today is the big day! I found my Email, by the way. It got flagged as "clutter," as opposed to "junk."
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
April 10th, 2019 at 11:05:09 AM permalink
Contrary to what I may have said before, you can't click the link until noon. 55 minutes to go.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
April 10th, 2019 at 11:39:13 AM permalink

Contrary to what I may have said before, you can't click the link until noon. 55 minutes to go.

Yeah, just tried it. It connected, but said, "you're early". I'm thinking it might save a precious 5 seconds to have it up and refresh on the dot rather than link from the email. I could be wrong. Never fought for tix before.

Anybody have guidance/tips?
MaxPen
MaxPen
April 10th, 2019 at 11:41:08 AM permalink
This is in addition to the tickets. So 2 and vehicle pass is over 1k

A delivery fee of $15 to $25
Nevada Live Entertainment Tax (LET) of 8%
A 3% credit card processing fee
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
April 10th, 2019 at 11:54:15 AM permalink

This is in addition to the tickets. So 2 and vehicle pass is over 1k

A delivery fee of $15 to $25
Nevada Live Entertainment Tax (LET) of 8%
A 3% credit card processing fee

Thanks, I thought they said somewhere on the BM site there would be no surprise taxes or fees other than $7 per ticket, but I guess I misunderstood.
MaxPen
MaxPen
April 10th, 2019 at 11:58:15 AM permalink
Not a good sign. Link is already slow
MaxPen
MaxPen
April 10th, 2019 at 12:05:28 PM permalink
Does being in line guarantee being able to buy?
I have 2 devices qeued in line😀

Update- 3 devices now
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
April 10th, 2019 at 12:06:08 PM permalink
I'm in the queue through my Burner Profile page (not the email link). Hopefully, I'll make it to the velvet rope...
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
April 10th, 2019 at 12:12:21 PM permalink

I'm in the queue through my Burner Profile page (not the email link). Hopefully, I'll make it to the velvet rope...

Doh! Although it says your place in line is secure, I got a "timed out: Host error" message.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
April 10th, 2019 at 12:17:06 PM permalink
Everyone I know, except one, is in the queue. One friend got through.
MaxPen
MaxPen
April 10th, 2019 at 12:18:13 PM permalink
Mine says" when it is your turn, you will enter the sale". I have somewhere to go and will give this til about 1230 but I'm not waiting all day. This is so annoying.
MaxPen
MaxPen
April 10th, 2019 at 12:19:00 PM permalink

Everyone I know, except one, is in the queue. One friend got through.

Are you good then?
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
April 10th, 2019 at 12:24:47 PM permalink

Are you good then?

No. This friend is getting them for herself. However, if you need to leave, I understand.
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
April 10th, 2019 at 12:30:24 PM permalink
Plenty of talk of Sexual assault in the queue. One would like to think “burners” are above it but I guess when you mix drugs, alcohol and a carefree message a few perverts will come out. Sad everything decent gets ruined by so few.
MaxPen
MaxPen
April 10th, 2019 at 12:32:56 PM permalink
Left the wife on 2 devices. Hopefully she gets thru on one.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
April 10th, 2019 at 12:37:16 PM permalink

Left the wife on 2 devices. Hopefully she gets thru on one.

Thanks Max!
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
April 10th, 2019 at 12:49:48 PM permalink
I'm about ready to give up. Has anyone found any news on if they already sold out?
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
Thanked by
miplet
April 10th, 2019 at 12:50:17 PM permalink
I made it to the checkout page, but it appears to be hung up...

Total after taxes and fees was like 1081. I haven't gotten a "enter payment" page to display yet...
Boz
Boz
April 10th, 2019 at 12:57:38 PM permalink
https://www.rgj.com/story/life/arts/burning-man/2019/04/10/burning-man-ticket-sale-kick-off/3425590002/

Story on ticketing issues from Reno Gazette
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
April 10th, 2019 at 1:01:26 PM permalink
After reloading the page a couple times, I got through to the pay site with like 2:00 to complete the transaction. Put in my info, but now back to another blank page. I don't want to refresh it though as I get the "resubmit your info?" warning...
terapined
terapined
April 10th, 2019 at 1:03:21 PM permalink
If you are in line online
Don't give up
Wait it out
We had this same problem with the Grateful Dead's 50th anniversary shows at Soldier Field
Insanely tough ticket to get
I was impatient and did not score. Another buddy was real patient, and scored.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
April 10th, 2019 at 1:06:35 PM permalink

After reloading the page a couple times, I got through to the pay site with like 2:00 to complete the transaction. Put in my info, but now back to another blank page. I don't want to refresh it though as I get the "resubmit your info?" warning...

That's good news. My advice is don't refresh, just wait to see what happens.
MaxPen
MaxPen
Thanked by
SOOPOO
April 10th, 2019 at 1:08:58 PM permalink
This whole thing is a joke. If you get in a queue you should know where you stand in it, relating to position. As well, if you are admitted you should definitely be allowed to buy if you are investing time in the wait.
These organizers are clueless. I can't believe anyone would pay to be a part of this. You can go into the desert and have a bonfire for free.
Boz
Boz
April 10th, 2019 at 1:09:05 PM permalink
https://www.vividseats.com/mobile/Production.action?production.productionId=2859512

Early resale market on Vivid. Worth sticking in queue at these prices.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
April 10th, 2019 at 1:18:33 PM permalink
I was in queue for a long time. Never got through but had to go to a meeting. I did my bestest.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
  • Jump to: