Thread Rating:

rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
March 28th, 2014 at 4:25:00 PM permalink
Quote: Beethoven9th

Quote: rxwine

Nope, it means that I'm laughing that those 2 idiots [Reeves & Dorner] got exactly what they deserve.

ex-swine= cops So you have an interest in not just cops but for some reason ex-cops who get what they deserve. And you use a "slur" to describe them...

Wrong as usual. It's no longer derogatory.

(P)ride
(I)ntegrity
(G)uts

Slang used by groups of people who it refers to take the sting out of it, such as gays using "queer nation". You'll likely will not find it useful in common interactions of police, unless you like them looking on you unfavorably in interactions.

In other words. Wrong.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
March 28th, 2014 at 4:28:53 PM permalink

Slang used by groups of people who it refers to take the sting out of it, such as gays using "queer nation". You'll likely will not find it useful in common interactions of police, unless you like them looking on you unfavorably in interactions.

Just found this while doing a Google search: http://www.pigbowl.com

It's called the Pig Bowl, and it looks like it's been around for 40 years. Can't find any info on cops who are up in arms over the name.

Once more...FAIL.

Now it's your turn to find a football game called "The Ch***man's Bowl" OR "The F****t's Bowl" OR "The N****r's Bowl". Oops...you can't!
Fighting BS one post at a time!
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
March 28th, 2014 at 4:32:21 PM permalink

Wrong as usual. It's no longer derogatory.

(P)ride
(I)ntegrity
(G)uts

Give me a break, your claim it's 'no longer derogatory' is just wrong.

Pig
This derogatory term was frequently used during the 19th century, disappeared for a while, but reappeared during the 20th and 21st century. It became frequently used again during the 1960s and 1970s in the underground and anti-establishment culture. Now prevalent in many English-speaking countries. It is also used in anti-authoritarian punk and hip-hop circles. Oz magazine showed a picture of a pig dressed as a policeman on a front cover.
(see Wikipedia for one source, but I am sure I can find many others).

'Pig' is still a derogatory term for the police here, in the UK and I suspect across North America, even if some police officers have tried to reclaim it. I'd bet a fair slice of my current wallet that if I asked the next police officer if he felt being called a 'pig' was derogatory, he would say yes. it's quite common for groups to reclaim the derogatory term for them. You only have to listen to certain rap records. Doesn't mean the term is a-ok for others outside that group to use.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
March 28th, 2014 at 4:36:01 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

Give me a break, your claim it's 'no longer derogatory' is against all reason and evidence.

Pig
This derogatory term was frequently used during the 19th century, disappeared for a while, but reappeared during the 20th and 21st century. It became frequently used again during the 1960s and 1970s in the underground and anti-establishment culture. Now prevalent in many English-speaking countries. It is also used in anti-authoritarian punk and hip-hop circles. Oz magazine showed a picture of a pig dressed as a policeman on a front cover.

The 19th century is over. The cops who play in the Pig Bowl have no problem with it at all. (Looks like it's been around for 40 years)

Just curious though, what's your opinion on use of 100% derogatory term "The Ch***man"? By a mod nonetheless?
rxwine
rxwine
March 28th, 2014 at 4:36:46 PM permalink
The fact of matter is, pigbowl is has been co-opted by the people it concerns. Not all find it offensive. But some do. But they are not outsiders using it.

http://forums.officer.com/t40662/

-referring to the term pig, not specifically pigbowl
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
March 28th, 2014 at 4:38:07 PM permalink

The fact of matter is, pigbowl is has been co-opted by the people it concerns. Not all find it offensive. But some do. But they are not outsiders using it.

http://forums.officer.com/t40662/

This is so funny. You find "pig" derogatory, but "The Ch***man" is just A-OK with you.

What happened to your righteous liberal indignation over a slur against Chinese people? (I noticed you never did take a definitive position on that)

Wanna bet that more Chinese consider "The Ch***man" offensive than cops who find "pig" offensive????
rxwine
rxwine
March 28th, 2014 at 4:44:16 PM permalink

Wanna bet that more Chinese consider "The Ch***man" offensive than cops who find "pig" offensive????

I want a ruling on an insult that I noted on this member at some point in time. Do I need to flag the specific post?

And anything on me, is fine too.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
March 28th, 2014 at 4:45:48 PM permalink

I want a ruling on an insult that I noted on this member at some point in time. Do I need to flag the specific post?

And anything on me, is fine too.

How is that statement insulting? lol...
rxwine
rxwine
March 28th, 2014 at 4:49:14 PM permalink
It was your earlier post that Teliot commented on.
rxwine
rxwine
March 28th, 2014 at 4:53:32 PM permalink
I assume if it's okay, I can use similar statements. But I agree with Teliot.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
March 28th, 2014 at 4:54:52 PM permalink
The whole freakin' forum should pull the plug for three days so everyone can quit getting hung up in minutiae.
A falling knife has no handle.
thecesspit
thecesspit
March 28th, 2014 at 4:55:17 PM permalink

Give me a break, your claim it's 'no longer derogatory' is against all reason and evidence.

Pig

The 19th century is over. The cops who play in the Pig Bowl have no problem with it at all. (Looks like it's been around for 40 years)

One accepted use does not mean 'it's no longer derogatory'.

For example, NWA's song about the police has derogatory language about the police including the term 'pig', and was censored in 1988.
A man arrested in 2005 for fligging the term at police officers in New Zealand : http://www.nzherald.co.nz/bay-of-plenty-times/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503343&objectid=10923742

And I could go on, but I really can't be bothered to find exact citations.

Citing a -single- example of reclaiming the language (or even multiple) does not mean the terms is 'no longer derogatory'.

Quote:

Just curious though, what's your opinion on use of 100% derogatory term "The Ch***man"? By a mod nonetheless?

It's a term obviously seen as offensive in the US. In the UK, the word is hardly ever used (I think I recall last seeing it in a Sherlock Homes novel, and probably I only ever used it in a schoolboy rhyme). So until this debate started, I had no opinion at all. Being PC, and all, I prefer not to use terms to people they'd find offensive (like pig to a cop), I'd avoid using the word in the future myself now I know it'd be seen as offensive. Not that I have much call to use it.

So if it is an offensive term then the moderator should know better. But I bet we can find people reclaiming the term somewhere, so then it would 'no longer be derogatory', right by your terms? Which means there could not be any offence taken, so all would be well according to you.

(Oh interestingly, 'chinaman bowler' is a term for a left-armed unorthodox spin bowler in cricket... coming from a Chinese bowler who got a stumping in a West Indies vs. England game in the 30's).
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
March 28th, 2014 at 4:56:10 PM permalink

It was your earlier post that Teliot commented on.

Oh, you mean the post where you made a statement, and I agreed with your statement by saying that I expected it? OK, whatever...lol

BTW, how come you keeping avoiding my question on "The Ch***man"??? Do you think it's OK for a mod to use such language or not? Can't believe a liberal guy like you won't speak out against offensive racial slurs.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
March 28th, 2014 at 4:59:09 PM permalink

It's a term obviously seen as offensive in the US. In the UK, the word is hardly ever used (I think I recall last seeing it in a Sherlock Homes novel, and probably I only ever used it in a schoolboy rhyme). So until this debate started, I had no opinion at all. Being PC, and all, I prefer not to use terms to people they'd find offensive (like pig to a cop), I'd avoid using the word in the future myself now I know it'd be seen as offensive. Not that I have much call to use it.

So if it is an offensive term then the moderator should know better. But I bet we can find people reclaiming the term somewhere, so then it would 'no longer be derogatory', right by your terms? Which means there could not be any offence taken, so all would be well according to you.

You're in Canada, right? Vancouver, possibly?

They have a sizable Chinese population there. Why don't you go to Chinatown and start calling people "Ch***men". Then report back on the reaction you get. I bet it will be MUCH stronger than calling a cop a "pig". ;)

Plus, what are you two even babbling about? I never even used the word "pig".
thecesspit
thecesspit
March 28th, 2014 at 5:03:15 PM permalink

You're in Canada, right? Vancouver, possibly?

They have a sizable Chinese population there. Why don't you go to Chinatown and start calling people "Ch***men". Then report back on the reaction you get. I bet it will be MUCH stronger than calling a cop a "pig". ;)

Why would I do that? I just clearly said I learned that it was an offensive term, and wouldn't go and use it. I'm not debating if it's offensive at all.

Quote:

Plus, what are you two even babbling about? I never even used the word "pig".

Quote: beethoven9th

I changed my sig around the time everyone was having that discussion about Curtis Reeves, the former cop who shot and killed a man who refused to stop texting in a movie theater. And remember that nutcase Christopher Dorner who went on a shooting spree last year? He was also a former cop. Both former cops are crazy. Cops are also called "pigs", and "swine" is another word for "pig".

Clearly you did.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
March 28th, 2014 at 5:05:10 PM permalink

I'm not debating if it's offensive at all.

Ah, sorry then.

Clearly you did.

FAIL

"Swine" is a different word than "pig". If I wanted to say "pig", then I would have said "pig". But I didn't.

Why are we debating something I didn't even say anyway?

We have so many liberals on this board, yet none of them want to focus on a mod's use of an offensive racial slur against Chinese forum members. Unbelievable. I'm disappointed in the liberals here. They only cry about racial slurs when it benefits them.
thecesspit
thecesspit
March 28th, 2014 at 5:08:13 PM permalink

FAIL

"Swine" is a different word than "pig".

You used the word PIG in the sentence explaining why you used swine!

Dear me! It's quoted right there. You clearly used the word 'pig'. Then went on to defend it not being derogatory because of a backronymn (spelling) and football game name.

No fail what so ever. You said you never said "pig" and you clearly did.

Just to remind you:

Quote: beethoven9th

I changed my sig around the time everyone was having that discussion about Curtis Reeves, the former cop who shot and killed a man who refused to stop texting in a movie theater. And remember that nutcase Christopher Dorner who went on a shooting spree last year? He was also a former cop. Both former cops are crazy. Cops are also called "pigs", and "swine" is another word for "pig".

Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
March 28th, 2014 at 5:09:43 PM permalink
AMS288 was Suspended for Seven Days yesterday and Gr8Player voluntarily resigned from the Forum yesterday, since this is the, "Discussion about the Suspension List," thread, I should expect the next series of posts following this one to have something to do with one of these two events. Otherwise, I don't really expect this thread to have much activity until the next Suspension (if applicable) is announced.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
March 28th, 2014 at 5:10:03 PM permalink
No, it's not about that at all. It's about you creating an issue out of nothing because you felt you were treated unfairly. This thread is entitled "discussion about the Suspension List".

It's their forum, their rules, their enforcement, for us to enjoy or lament.

Was there a complaint from an Asian member on this forum about said 'slur'? Or are you suddenly being representative of every minority on this site?
Has the traffic from this site decreased as a result of it?
Are you questioning Mike's decision for BBB to be a moderator because she didn't ban herself over said 'slur'?

What is the issue? I kind of feel that your entire existence watching NFL/NHL games would be a continuous rant over the reffing.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
boymimbo
boymimbo
March 28th, 2014 at 5:11:20 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

AMS288 was Suspended for Seven Days yesterday and Gr8Player voluntarily resigned from the Forum yesterday, since this is the, "Discussion about the Suspension List," thread, I should expect the next series of posts following this one to have something to do with one of these two events. Otherwise, I don't really expect this thread to have much activity until the next Suspension (if applicable) is announced.

You could always just split out the whole "chinaman" question into another thread so that it can be summarily ignored.
Mission146
Mission146
March 28th, 2014 at 5:12:30 PM permalink
I should also mention that Terapined has withdrawn his Voluntarily Resignation, and the Suspension List has been updated to reflect the date of his return. Thus, Terapined's return, the AMS288 ban and GR8Player's Voluntary Resignation are all pertinent topics to this thread at this time, no other topic is pertinent.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
March 28th, 2014 at 5:12:49 PM permalink

You used the word PIG in the sentence explaining why you used swine!

Dear me! It's quoted right there. You clearly used the word 'pig'. Then went on to defend it not being derogatory because of a backronymn (spelling) and football game name.

No fail what so ever. You said you never said "pig" and you clearly did.

I said that "swine" is another word for "pig". So does the darn dictionary!! Geez...is the dictionary entry racist too????

The fact that I intentionally used "swine" instead of "pig" shows that there was no bad intentions.

But again, I'm disappointed in the liberals here for not speaking out against racial slurs that are offensive to our Chinese forum members. I can GUARANTEE that if a mod uttered a slur against members of the LGBTQQIP2SAA community, you liberals would be all up in arms. What hypocrisy.

EDIT: Was writing my post as Mission was posting his. Sorry.
Mission146
Mission146
March 28th, 2014 at 5:13:19 PM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

You could always just split out the whole "chinaman" question into another thread so that it can be summarily ignored.

The Discussion doesn't merit its own thread.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
March 28th, 2014 at 5:19:08 PM permalink

The Discussion doesn't merit its own thread.

Sure it does...right over in DT with the other non-gambling related discussions:-)
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
March 28th, 2014 at 5:29:51 PM permalink
What the did Beethoven9th get suspended again? What is going on here?
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
March 28th, 2014 at 5:31:04 PM permalink
Quote: djatc

What the did Beethoven9th get suspended again? What is going on here?

Woah. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/info/rules/5288-suspension-list/#post71165
FrGamble
FrGamble
  • Threads: 27
March 28th, 2014 at 5:32:08 PM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

Sure it does...right over in DT with the other non-gambling related discussions:-)

Don't even think about bringing this garbage over to DT!
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
March 28th, 2014 at 5:32:12 PM permalink
Why was b9 nuked. Other than the China man thing what happened? B9 I swear to god if you are gr8 or our other friend from Ontario I will give u a well played.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
March 28th, 2014 at 5:33:32 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

Be nuked. Other than the China man thing what happened?

I'm curious to know who his other account was!
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
March 28th, 2014 at 5:33:35 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

Be nuked. Other than the China man thing what happened?

GWAE
GWAE
March 28th, 2014 at 5:34:19 PM permalink
If it is gr8 or varmenti he would win troll of the year.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
March 28th, 2014 at 5:35:04 PM permalink
Beethoven9th has been suspended for trolling and multiple accounts, nuclear option.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
March 28th, 2014 at 5:35:44 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Beethoven9th has been suspended for trolling and multiple accounts, nuclear option.

Do we get to know who the other account was? I assume it was nuked too?
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
March 28th, 2014 at 5:39:43 PM permalink
Was my account one of his multiple accounts?
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
March 28th, 2014 at 5:40:08 PM permalink
Quote: FrGamble

Don't even think about bringing this garbage over to DT!

I concur.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
March 28th, 2014 at 5:45:29 PM permalink

Thanks for the support, Nareed.

How about that? This time it really brought us luck!

Call me next time before you go to the casino, and I'll offer some more suport (in exchange for 1/5 of your winnings)
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
March 28th, 2014 at 5:45:56 PM permalink
Quote: AxiomOfChoice

I'd like to know that also. He's not
here to comment.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
rob45
rob45
  • Threads: 2
March 28th, 2014 at 5:47:03 PM permalink
Quote: djatc

Was my account one of his multiple accounts?

I was wondering the same thing about my account!
Being half-Asian myself, I was extremely interested in finding out how the minority slur was going to be resolved. Looks like we got our answer.
boymimbo
boymimbo
March 28th, 2014 at 5:49:27 PM permalink
Would it be inappropriate now to post a classic "facepalm?"
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
March 28th, 2014 at 6:06:28 PM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

Would it be inappropriate now to post a classic "facepalm?"

Also, yes, please tell us who the other account(s) was/were/are.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 28th, 2014 at 6:09:31 PM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

Also, yes, please tell us who the other account(s) was/were/are.

The multiple account is always listed in the banning
statement in the suspension thread. It will be there.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
March 28th, 2014 at 6:12:10 PM permalink
How funny, he's the reason I left this forum several months ago. I figured he would never get suspended because he walks a very fine line and always comes close to crossing it but knows where the line is. I thought about staying away just because of B9
I only came back today because I just got back from Vegas and wanted to post a report.
The day I come back, he gets booted several hours later. What are the odds :-)
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
March 28th, 2014 at 6:18:32 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

The multiple account is always listed in the banning
statement in the suspension thread. It will be there.

perhaps not....
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 28th, 2014 at 6:21:44 PM permalink

perhaps not....

Whoever wrote the entry, you have to list
the multiple accounts, that's how it's done.
rob45
rob45
  • Threads: 2
March 28th, 2014 at 6:32:30 PM permalink

perhaps not....

Whoever wrote the entry, you have to list
the multiple accounts, that's how it's done.

I don't see the other account listed, Bob.
Told the ophthalmologist not to mess up my cataract surgery last week, and now look what happens!
DMSCR
DMSCR
  • Threads: 5
March 28th, 2014 at 6:32:39 PM permalink
Beethoven9th is now fully nuked. LOL. Guess like that fine line he was always walking on finally snapped.

Maybe this will be a good thing for him since he was always here 24/7.
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 28th, 2014 at 6:35:08 PM permalink
Quote: rob45

I don't see the other account listed, Bob.
!

Its not listed, that's the point. It's supposed to be.
The other accounts are also nuked, what are they?
RogerKint
RogerKint
  • Threads: 15
March 28th, 2014 at 6:39:56 PM permalink
Don't post the other account yet. This is the most exciting thing to happen to EvenBob all week.
100% risk of ruin
GWAE
GWAE
March 28th, 2014 at 6:44:29 PM permalink

Its not listed, that's the point. It's supposed to be.
The other accounts are also nuked, what are they?

or maybe they were nuked already.

gr8, varmenti, gamblor, ricardo, rolex?
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
March 28th, 2014 at 6:48:12 PM permalink

I should also mention that Terapined has withdrawn his Voluntarily Resignation, and the Suspension List has been updated to reflect the date of his return. Thus, Terapined's return, the AMS288 ban and GR8Player's Voluntary Resignation are all pertinent topics to this thread at this time, no other topic is pertinent.

I'm glad to see Terapined's returned.
  • Jump to: