Thread Rating:

jmills
jmills
  • Threads: 7
January 14th, 2020 at 6:30:43 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Mendoza,

This is a board rated for children to read (in the US we call it PG, not sure you have that rating system). Mierda is not acceptable language in English or Spanish.

Not sure why you changed your post. "Mind your own business" is not out of line in this context, but mierda is. Profanity warning.

I didn't want to hijack the other thread to ask this. Why is a gambling forum concerned with being acceptable for children to read? I would be more worried about a thirteen year old learning to play slots than seeing the f-word.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 17
January 14th, 2020 at 6:39:51 PM permalink
Advertisers are skittish, and there's many children locked in back rooms with Neilsen TV's.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 69
Thanks for this post from:
AZDuffman
January 14th, 2020 at 6:56:53 PM permalink
Quote: jmills

I didn't want to hijack the other thread to ask this. Why is a gambling forum concerned with being acceptable for children to read? I would be more worried about a thirteen year old learning to play slots than seeing the f-word.

Simple minds swear, I think we want a more educated and eloquent crowd here.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
jmills
jmills
  • Threads: 7
January 14th, 2020 at 8:18:12 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Simple minds swear, I think we want a more educated and eloquent crowd here.

I suppose, although I don't think education and eloquence are necessarily at odds with cursing. It just seems strange that a forum about something legally restricted to adults would be concerned about being a safe space for children.
michael99000
michael99000
  • Threads: 9
Thanks for this post from:
DRich
January 14th, 2020 at 8:21:48 PM permalink

I suppose, although I don't think education and eloquence are necessarily at odds with cursing. It just seems strange that a forum about something legally restricted to adults would be concerned about being a safe space for children.

Why canít people just make there points without using foul language ?
gordonm888
gordonm888
  • Threads: 36
January 14th, 2020 at 8:27:12 PM permalink
I never remember anyone expressing a desire for this forum to be "a safe place for children." I think its a matter of desiring to have civil discussions rather than something like those twitter threads where the F word is a common adjective, verb and noun. The issue is coarseness and vulgarity. I think the Forum administrator has adopted standards similar to most TV shows and similar to discussions in public forums, i.e., a town meeting for example.
So many better men, a few of them friends, were dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things lived on, and so did I.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 221
January 15th, 2020 at 3:58:34 AM permalink

It is not about being "a safe space for children." It is about composing yourself as an adult. Many examples but I will cite Donnie Brasco, He stated that in all his years undercover not once did he hear a wiseguy get a foul mouth in front of a woman excepting prostitutes. (He used a stronger term.) So here you have all kinds of guys who have done all kinds of things, and of all things foul language in front of women was simply not tolerated at all. Women who used a foul mouth were treated as trash from that point on.

We are not in combat or a bunch of guys alone on an oil rig. Different behavior in different places. In this place the standard is act manly or ladylike.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
TDVegas
TDVegas
  • Threads: 0
January 15th, 2020 at 6:11:11 AM permalink
Maybe itís me and Iím getting older...I see so many in the 20-30 range using F*** as if itís an appendage. Iím not talking about high energy situations or anger or ire....but just in normal, everyday conversation, regardless of who is around....ladies, kids. Classless, imo.
OnceDear
Administrator
OnceDear
  • Threads: 44
January 15th, 2020 at 6:33:33 AM permalink

To my mind it's not about access by minors and all about courtesy to fellow members and visitors. Remember that non members have read access too.
The PG rating is where management chose to draw the line.
Last edited by: OnceDear on Jan 15, 2020
Take care out there. Spare a thought for the newly poor who were happy in their world just a few days ago, but whose whole way of life just collapsed..
FleaStiff
FleaStiff 
  • Threads: 264
January 15th, 2020 at 8:00:48 AM permalink
Many of us do perhaps lapse from time to time, but civility and avoidance of gratuitus vulgarity are good goals to have.

• Jump to: