Thread Rating:

OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
September 17th, 2023 at 1:46:13 AM permalink
Just a quick note to say that navigating to blog posts seems to be broken too. My blog extends over 2 pages, but the link from the first page to https://wizardofvegas.com/blog/2/ goes to a 404
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
September 17th, 2023 at 2:23:32 AM permalink
Quote: MDawg

I don't think the primitive software on this forum is capable of knowing if someone has read or not read posts. What if I go to a given page of a thread - there are 50 posts on that page - just because I land on that page the software now assumes that I have read every post?

I don't think I have ever read every post on a page at this forum let alone in an entire thread, not even my own.

I think it's pretty much a lands on the first page or last page thing, with some unexpected variations where it lands somewhere in between.
link to original post

True! The best it can know is what the most recent post was the last time your browser loaded the thread and presumably displayed it.

Knowing if you read it or not would likely be some Minority Report type stuff, which I'm pretty sure is not equipped. (Yet.)
May the cards fall in your favor.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
September 17th, 2023 at 2:28:27 AM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

Just a quick note to say that navigating to blog posts seems to be broken too. My blog extends over 2 pages, but the link from the first page to https://wizardofvegas.com/blog/2/ goes to a 404
link to original post

That's the private form of the blog link.
Anyone who clicks it will be taken to... their own blog.
(OK, Ok... Woopsie daisy, a 404 page.)

Try:
https://wizardofvegas.com/member/oncedear/blog/2/
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 113
September 17th, 2023 at 2:47:02 AM permalink
I have almost 30 pages on my blog. I can't imagine it was ever near 150 pages. I don't think the blogs were affected by the Forum change. But, like Once Dear, if I click on My Blog at the top and try to click on a page number I get the Error 404 Oopsie Daisy. I have to click on one of my blog entries and then use the page prompts at the bottom of the page to navigate. It's been like that for a long time so it's nothing new.
MDawg
MDawg
  • Threads: 40
September 17th, 2023 at 12:09:44 PM permalink
Quote: Dieter

I don't think the primitive software on this forum is capable of knowing if someone has read or not read posts. What if I go to a given page of a thread - there are 50 posts on that page - just because I land on that page the software now assumes that I have read every post?

I don't think I have ever read every post on a page at this forum let alone in an entire thread, not even my own.

I think it's pretty much a lands on the first page or last page thing, with some unexpected variations where it lands somewhere in between.
link to original post

True! The best it can know is what the most recent post was the last time your browser loaded the thread and presumably displayed it.

Knowing if you read it or not would likely be some Minority Report type stuff, which I'm pretty sure is not equipped. (Yet.)
link to original post

Most forums today are able to tell you what posts or threads are new from the last time you logged in, if you have your user preferences set that way. Also even what is new for the threads you follow. Not this one.
I tell you it’s wonderful to be here, man. I don’t give a damn who wins or loses. It’s just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 113
September 17th, 2023 at 1:22:15 PM permalink
If I'm not logged in, I get taken to the first page of the thread when I click on the thread; then I click on Last Page to get to the current conversation. If I am logged in, it takes me to the last post plus one that I read previously. I find I return to a thread months later and I'm several pages behind the current conversation and one post past where I last read. I usually just click Last Page and get up to speed without reading the stuff in between, but now I can't figure out where I stopped reading before. It usually doesn't matter though because I probably didn't want to read all that anyway. Sometimes I do want to read the posts to catch up so I don't click on Last Page right away.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
September 17th, 2023 at 6:27:01 PM permalink

Most forums today are able to tell you what posts or threads are new from the last time you logged in, if you have your user preferences set that way. Also even what is new for the threads you follow. Not this one.
link to original post

Do I sense you are considering making a large donation to the WOV forum to enable us to afford a major upgrade in software to enable all the bells and whistles you have been grousing about?
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
September 17th, 2023 at 6:52:03 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

link to original post

Do I sense you are considering making a large donation to the WOV forum to enable us to afford a major upgrade in software to enable all the bells and whistles you have been grousing about?
link to original post

What? A sellout without a cut for yourself?
MDawg
MDawg
  • Threads: 40
September 17th, 2023 at 7:14:42 PM permalink
The seller (Wizard), I can understand why he'd do nothing to upgrade this place once he sold, but the buyers....

Probably though this forum software is so unique that there would be no way to convert it to a vbulletin or xenforo. There are some upgraded xenforo forums out there where their tech teams are constantly working on upgrading them, but, we're talking about forums with massive traffic which is what justifies all that work. As I've mentioned, I think we have about a hundred active members here, with maybe a dozen active posters. That sort of minimal traffic probably doesn't justify a changeover and again, I don't think an upgrade is going to do much for this place, ideally we'd want to convert the content of every single thread and post into a standard forum software and then let those people whose business is forum software worry about future upgrades.
I tell you it’s wonderful to be here, man. I don’t give a damn who wins or loses. It’s just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
  • Jump to: