Thread Rating:

Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
February 2nd, 2013 at 1:08:35 PM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

... list has been updated today!

Not being a comp sci type, I still don't really understand starting the rankings with the number zero, unless that is some kind of snipe at the person holding that position.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
February 2nd, 2013 at 5:14:48 PM permalink
Quote: Doc

Not being a comp sci type, I still don't really understand starting the rankings with the number zero, unless that is some kind of snipe at the person holding that position.

It is absolutely not that (a snipe at Nareed), it is just a computer science thing. Everything is indexed starting at 0. I could, of course, change it, but I'd rather not :).
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
February 2nd, 2013 at 5:19:43 PM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

It is absolutely not that (a snipe at Nareed), ...

We must be looking at different lists.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
February 4th, 2013 at 2:43:38 PM permalink
Quote: Doc

We must be looking at different lists.

Haha, whoops. Nope, I just didn't look at the list directly while responding to that comment, and I thought Nareed was #0. Was not a snipe at EvenBob either.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
February 25th, 2014 at 9:26:23 AM permalink
I decided to put this member-post-ranking thingamajigger on a schedule, so it updates now every morning at 1am PST (4am EST).
WOV members by post count
DT members by post count
If JB or the Wizard ask me to remove this, for any reason, I will do so. If they don't like having the list available on philosophical grounds, I disagree but completely understand. If they don't want me scraping all 148 pages of member listings once per day, then I would suggest they add the feature to the website directly using an appropriate DB query :).

Also, because of a mistake I made in the crontab, the thing actually ran every minute between 1am and 2am PST (d'oh) this morning. While I doubt it caused any problems as this site gets a fair bit of traffic, I apologize for the extra load.
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
February 25th, 2014 at 9:45:44 AM permalink
Not that I would rank high in either category because I don't post a ton and sometimes go off on a tangent, I'd rather see "Top Contributors" be the ones who actually contribute the most, not that make the most posts. The list could be different under those standards...
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
February 25th, 2014 at 9:57:42 AM permalink
Yes, I could see all positions, except the top one, changing under those standards.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
February 25th, 2014 at 10:00:03 AM permalink
Quote: RonC

Not that I would rank high in either category because I don't post a ton and sometimes go off on a tangent, I'd rather see "Top Contributors" be the ones who actually contribute the most, not that make the most posts. The list could be different under those standards...

Right, that would involve some subjectivity. My natural language processing software skills are pretty lacking (read: nonexistent :) ). So, feel free to do that one yourself.
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
February 25th, 2014 at 1:08:15 PM permalink
How about listing who has the most posts in the least amount of time?
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
February 25th, 2014 at 2:15:40 PM permalink
Quote: 1BB

How about listing who has the most posts in the least amount of time?

Now that request is feasible. I could add a "average posts/day" metric or somesuch to the table. I'll put it on my backlog.

• Jump to: