FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
February 24th, 2010 at 4:24:58 PM permalink
This site is now blocked at my workplace! We use a web blocking program called "Safe Search" and today this site started being classified as a gambling site instead of a travel site.

Now I have one less website to go on during lunch. Today was a bad day...
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1491
February 24th, 2010 at 5:03:02 PM permalink
Dang, sorry to hear that. At least the censor bothered to find it.
Last edited by: Wizard on Feb 27, 2010
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
February 25th, 2010 at 8:02:38 AM permalink
Quote: FinsRule

This site is now blocked at my workplace! We use a web blocking program called "Safe Search" and today this site started being classified as a gambling site instead of a travel site.

There used to be a site called "safeweb" where you could open it and then the "banned" site would open inside, so the censor would never know. Haven't used it in years and last I looked I couldn't find it. You might try googling it or asking an advice queston on LinkedIn.com for where it is now or a similar idea.

Hate to lose good people on a site lile this.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
cclub79
cclub79
  • Threads: 35
February 25th, 2010 at 8:21:30 AM permalink
They are called "proxy" sites. Sometimes they get blocked as well, but if you Google "Proxy sites" you might luck out.
asimov
asimov
  • Threads: 0
February 27th, 2010 at 9:49:12 AM permalink
Quote: FinsRule

Same thing happened to me. Wizard of Odds was blocked, but Wizard of Vegas was no problem. Now they are both blocked as of about 2 weeks ago.
cyrusstratus
cyrusstratus
  • Threads: 1
March 5th, 2010 at 6:01:30 AM permalink
That pretty much sucks. Censorship of this sort is kind of silly for adults. It might be different if it was a network at a school or something similar, but not for adults.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
March 5th, 2010 at 8:20:44 AM permalink
Quote: cyrusstratus

That pretty much sucks. Censorship of this sort is kind of silly for adults. It might be different if it was a network at a school or something similar, but not for adults.

It is about being at work most of the time. Where I work they have a few things liek Facebook blocked. But we need to do enough research that they can't give only "approved" sites. I can see where I would not want my employees spending all kinds of time at all kinds of sites. In a small office you can police it, but a big corporation you need to censor.

One place I worked they told me they had watched the sites I was on. Luckily I could give a business reason no matter how shaky. And by then I hated the place so much I wished a piano would fall on me in the parking lot.......
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
cclub79
cclub79
  • Threads: 35
March 5th, 2010 at 8:38:46 AM permalink
I think it's a liberal (small l) use of the word to say that this is "censorship". If it were your computer at home and the government said that you may not view "The Wizard of Vegas", that's real censorship. It's their computer, and they probably just have a screen on games/gaming, and they don't want you wasting the company's time on such matters. It still stinks big time, I agree, but it doesn't rise to the level of censorship.
  • Jump to: