billryan
billryan
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 165
  • Posts: 8834
May 3rd, 2020 at 8:40:12 AM permalink
Is there any reason a casino couldn't insist every BJ player play two hands? Four players at two hands each is better than five or six players at one hand each.
As far as restaurants go, I think losing 50% capacity will be the new normal. Same for shows and movies. I also think we are going to have to deal with one-time use plates, silverware, glasses, and paper menus. Your"fine dining" experience is going to be a thing of the past, at least for now.
Our world has changed. Those who adapt quicker will succeed. Those who want to carry on as if things will get back to normal quickly will go the way of the Dodo.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
Joined: Oct 5, 2011
  • Threads: 87
  • Posts: 3222
May 3rd, 2020 at 8:46:04 AM permalink
Quote: megapixels

In order for someone to lose millions a day, somebody else has to make millions a day. Think about that...



Bad logic, I'm afraid. Casino companies are losing millions to landlords, leasing equipment companies, insurance companies, and on taxes, utilities. But these companies receiving money know damn well that there's a breaking point when the casinos won't be,able to pay.

This is not a zero sum game.

This is when everybody loses.
TomG
TomG
Joined: Sep 26, 2010
  • Threads: 13
  • Posts: 2018
May 3rd, 2020 at 9:51:47 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

If temporary this is at least a start. But there is no way that casinos can make money in the long term with those rules. Imagine any other business having to only have at a maximum half of their business running at any time. But their costs are not half. The poker dealer costs the same. The BJ dealer costs the same. The engineer costs the same.

Time to short casino stocks.....



In the short term the other option would be continuing to make zero. Anything above that seems much better for stock holders. The governor decided each casino is going to make their own rules. Pretty sure they are going to be more focused on profits than public health.
billryan
billryan
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 165
  • Posts: 8834
May 3rd, 2020 at 11:19:02 AM permalink
Quote: TomG

In the short term the other option would be continuing to make zero. Anything above that seems much better for stock holders. The governor decided each casino is going to make their own rules. Pretty sure they are going to be more focused on profits than public health.



While they are closed, they are eligible for numerous government programs. Once they open, I'm not sure they will get any help. Assuming they can put off paying off their debt while closed, they might not be in a rush to reopen. Lawsuits from workers forced to work in unsafe conditions have to be considered.
jjjoooggg
jjjoooggg
Joined: Jul 13, 2012
  • Threads: 25
  • Posts: 720
May 3rd, 2020 at 12:48:22 PM permalink
The provided masks, elevator rule, hourly wipe downs and no sick people allowed is safer than any grocery store.
I belong to an elite group called the "Zombie Outbreak Response Team."
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
Joined: Dec 29, 2013
  • Threads: 15
  • Posts: 2158
May 3rd, 2020 at 2:12:10 PM permalink
deleted. Rumor
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
  • Threads: 139
  • Posts: 17966
May 4th, 2020 at 12:14:06 AM permalink
Quote: TonyTwoEyes

Thanks AxelWolf.

Did this site offer odds on NASCAR?

I believe so.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
Joined: Oct 5, 2011
  • Threads: 87
  • Posts: 3222
May 4th, 2020 at 12:51:00 AM permalink
I'd really like to see some facts and not conjecture about operating costs.

The only fact I've seen so far came in a,statement from MGM which was that they lose money if half the rooms in a hotel aren't booked. That's the only fact or statement about operating costs that I've seen.

If anyone has any true figures please share them.

I don't know how many players are needed to keep a craps table profitable or to keep a row of nickel slots profitable.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
Joined: Aug 8, 2010
  • Threads: 108
  • Posts: 6675
May 4th, 2020 at 5:42:58 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Is there any reason a casino couldn't insist every BJ player play two hands? Four players at two hands each is better than five or six players at one hand each.
As far as restaurants go, I think losing 50% capacity will be the new normal. Same for shows and movies. I also think we are going to have to deal with one-time use plates, silverware, glasses, and paper menus. Your"fine dining" experience is going to be a thing of the past, at least for now.
Our world has changed. Those who adapt quicker will succeed. Those who want to carry on as if things will get back to normal quickly will go the way of the Dodo.



I'm not a restaurateur, but I've often heard that most restaurants are only profitable when full or nearly full during what are called peak times (5-10pm?). That very few will be solvent if during those times they are maxed out at 50%?

A casino certainly could set rules for a new game called "two hand BJ". Just like it could raise table limits. If the market will fill those seats, then they would have done it already. But in this 'new normal', it is not impossible that that will happen.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
Joined: Aug 8, 2010
  • Threads: 108
  • Posts: 6675
May 4th, 2020 at 5:49:45 AM permalink
Quote: AlanMendelson

I'd really like to see some facts and not conjecture about operating costs.

The only fact I've seen so far came in a,statement from MGM which was that they lose money if half the rooms in a hotel aren't booked. That's the only fact or statement about operating costs that I've seen.

If anyone has any true figures please share them.

I don't know how many players are needed to keep a craps table profitable or to keep a row of nickel slots profitable.



And the casinos don't know the answers to these questions going forward as well. They may know the answers with the present levels of staffing, table limits, demographics of players, other new costs to comply. But all 4 of those will change under the 'new normal'.
1. How many fewer gaming employees, maids, security guards will be needed?
2. If we double table limits do we still fill the now 50% tables?
3. Are our whales not coming, but Joe Paycheck still is? Or vice-versa?
4. Do we have to hire 50 additional cleaners, buy 100 million gallons more hand sanitizer, slow the games down incessantly, annoy patrons at entrances, etc....

Alan, who do you think knows the answers to these questions? No one. But there will be lots of guessers.

  • Jump to: