Thread Rating:

kewlj
kewlj
Joined: Apr 17, 2012
  • Threads: 200
  • Posts: 3717
July 14th, 2020 at 9:26:05 AM permalink
My guess is Nevada Casinos won't be shutting down right now. With Baseball scheduled to start next week and NBA and NHL the following week, they are going to want to have sportsbooks open and see what that brings.

But I am also guessing the "return to sports" isn't going to go too well nor last very long. These millionaire players aren't going to want to be guinea pigs. Once they start testing positive and a few get sick, they will balk. College Football is already on the path to cancelling the season and the NFL will have no choice but to follow.

Once sports is gone again if cases, hospitalizations and deaths continue to rise, I think you will see casinos closed again. I also don't think you will see schools and colleges opening as some politicians want (for their own self interest).

Remember summer time and higher temperatures, with people out doors more was supposed to be the time and conditions that we got a break from this virus, that it all but disappeared before a return in the fall. Well it has done anything but disappear. The uptick in the fall is going to be nasty.
TDVegas
TDVegas
Joined: Oct 30, 2018
  • Threads: 0
  • Posts: 547
July 14th, 2020 at 9:36:11 AM permalink
Quote: LuckyPhow

IMO, NJ is doing it right. People constantly show us they will abuse any exception to a "mask" rule.


And thatís exactly what they are doing in Vegas....abusing the mask mandate.

Itís not the grocery stores or Walmart or Home Depot. Iíd say compliance is near 100% in those businesses. Itís the casino floor..specifically slots. At the table games, the pit is right there and employees will enforce the rule. On the slots...forget it. Compliance for smokers and many drinkers is pathetic.
TDVegas
TDVegas
Joined: Oct 30, 2018
  • Threads: 0
  • Posts: 547
July 14th, 2020 at 9:44:32 AM permalink
Quote: kewlj

Remember summer time and higher temperatures, with people out doors more was supposed to be the time and conditions that we got a break from this virus, that it all but disappeared before a return in the fall. Well it has done anything but disappear. The uptick in the fall is going to be nasty.


Yep. The ďexpertsĒ were guessing then as they are now. Truth be told, no one really knows how and when this will end.

The Governor out here has already admitted his mistake without actually admitting it. He was advised to make masks mandatory. He and his experts said not needed. A month later, changes course.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
Joined: Dec 29, 2013
  • Threads: 15
  • Posts: 2308
July 14th, 2020 at 9:54:12 AM permalink
I donít really see how having (pro) sports without fans in stands meaningfully affects public health. They donít end up having any more exposure than they do in their normal lives and have more frequent testing than they otherwise would. Now them not wanting to play because of all the extra bs they have to deal with to play during this period, not being able to have much family around etc when they donít really need the money is a different issue, but I donít think holding the sports in empty stadiums really adds any more significant risk than everyone has in their life right now anyway. It will look bad when players test positive though, but likely just as many or more of them would be contracting it not playing.
kewlj
kewlj
Joined: Apr 17, 2012
  • Threads: 200
  • Posts: 3717
July 14th, 2020 at 10:17:06 AM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

, but I donít think holding the sports in empty stadiums really adds any more significant risk than everyone has in their life right now anyway.



Well baseball is played outdoor, so they have that going for it.
And baseball is a non-contact sport for the most part, so they have that going for it.
But the batter is standing a foot or two away from the catcher and the umpire and a runner at first base is a foot away from the first baseman. Are these players going to be wearing masks, which is necessary to minimize spread? What about the players in the dugout? 6 feet apart? wearing masks?

And it gets worse from there with other sports. Basketball? Lots of contact. Players are within inches of each other, bumping ect, so they definitely aren't going to be social distancing. Will they be wearing masks?

Then there is the off the field situations. Will players retire directly to their rooms? Will they be eating meals in their rooms, or some restaurant/cafeteria type location, where they are all together presenting a higher risk of spread?

I just don't think it is going to work. Sports may consist of Golf, tennis, Nascar for a while. ;/ And I am not happy about it. I love my football weekends.
darkoz
darkoz 
Joined: Dec 22, 2009
  • Threads: 235
  • Posts: 7148
Thanks for this post from:
TDVegas
July 14th, 2020 at 10:37:13 AM permalink
Quote: kewlj

My guess is Nevada Casinos won't be shutting down right now. With Baseball scheduled to start next week and NBA and NHL the following week, they are going to want to have sportsbooks open and see what that brings.

But I am also guessing the "return to sports" isn't going to go too well nor last very long. These millionaire players aren't going to want to be guinea pigs. Once they start testing positive and a few get sick, they will balk. College Football is already on the path to cancelling the season and the NFL will have no choice but to follow.

Once sports is gone again if cases, hospitalizations and deaths continue to rise, I think you will see casinos closed again. I also don't think you will see schools and colleges opening as some politicians want (for their own self interest).

Remember summer time and higher temperatures, with people out doors more was supposed to be the time and conditions that we got a break from this virus, that it all but disappeared before a return in the fall. Well it has done anything but disappear. The uptick in the fall is going to be nasty.



There were a few unscrupulous people pushing the heat theory.

Anyone who wanted to was able to debunk that from the start.

The disease spread around the globe simultaneously.

And the globe is hot in many places all year round and opposite our weather in many spots.

Once Australia got a bad case of Coronavirus IN THEIR SUMMER it was obvious the heat wasn't doing anything
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
Joined: Oct 5, 2011
  • Threads: 97
  • Posts: 3547
July 14th, 2020 at 11:08:38 AM permalink
Yes heat stops the virus. There's no heat inside air conditioned buildings.
kewlj
kewlj
Joined: Apr 17, 2012
  • Threads: 200
  • Posts: 3717
July 14th, 2020 at 11:23:24 AM permalink
Quote: AlanMendelson

Yes heat stops the virus. There's no heat inside air conditioned buildings.



That is only partially true, Alan. Heat and sunlight can kill the virus on hard surfaces like metal. But it does nothing to the airborne virus. Some of the biggest spread events have been beaches and parties at lakes and swimming pools because people are packed close together and not wearing masks.
darkoz
darkoz 
Joined: Dec 22, 2009
  • Threads: 235
  • Posts: 7148
July 14th, 2020 at 11:34:12 AM permalink
Quote: AlanMendelson

Yes heat stops the virus. There's no heat inside air conditioned buildings.



I am sure Brazil is one of the most air conditioned countries in the world
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
Joined: Oct 5, 2011
  • Threads: 97
  • Posts: 3547
July 14th, 2020 at 11:54:50 AM permalink
Quote: darkoz

I am sure Brazil is one of the most air conditioned countries in the world



You understand that its winter in the Southern hemisphere right now?

  • Jump to: