Thread Rating:

billryan
billryan
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 171
  • Posts: 9495
July 11th, 2020 at 1:02:20 PM permalink
Quote: IndyJeffrey

So, what is the latest on Nevada casinos shutting down? Truth or false rumor?



I'd go with premature rumor right now. Lets see where we are in two weeks.
petroglyph
petroglyph
Joined: Jan 3, 2013
  • Threads: 19
  • Posts: 3333
July 11th, 2020 at 2:56:09 PM permalink
Quote: racquet

If the effort was concentrated on nursing homes, sparing resources from the noble tasks of stopping cars with out-of-state plates and going door-to-door looking for tourists, the death toll would have been much less.

In RI, more than 75% of the deaths have been in nursing homes and congregate care facilities. In New York nursing homes were REQUIRED to accept COVID-positive patients released from hospitals.

There was no oversight. How could there be since absolutely no one was allowed inside to see how the residents were being cared for?

If patients in nursing homes survive to tell their stories, the most infuriating part of the pandemic will be how they were treated, and how many of them died because of the negligence of regulators.

In this state the governor had the health dept. collect data on Covid cases and it was found that in the early stages most of the serious incidences of the virus occurred in care facility's. Although he had the data collected, and the taxpayers pay for that collection he won't release the data. The largest newspaper in the state has sued them to try and find out which facility's were the most contaminated, yet the governor refuses to release the data for fear it might harm the business's with the highest rates. Some care facility's have an incredible contamination percentage, and there are still family's trying to house the elders that can't access that info. Why collect it?
racquet
racquet
Joined: Dec 31, 2014
  • Threads: 49
  • Posts: 382
Thanks for this post from:
petroglyph
July 11th, 2020 at 4:13:52 PM permalink
Quote: petroglyph

...the governor refuses to release the data for fear it might harm the business's with the highest rates.



Well yeah... What other factors matter when making a decision about where to place Grandpa? What's his chance of dying there? OR, Do they have singalongs on weeknights?

We have something called the Access to Public Records Act which is supposed to force the state to release anything they collect, except for reasonable exclusions like names, addresses and other personal information. But they can come up with a wide range of supposed exceptions that can tie things up for months when they don't want the information to get out. Say what you will about the media, but they sometimes have the persistence (and the funds) to fight these roadblocks.

I won't be around, but when the historians get a chance to write about this era fifty or a hundred years from now, not a lot of people are going to come out looking good. The death sentences meted out to nursing home residents simply because nobody made the effort to look closely at the numbers and see where the dangers were will be the real story. Too many governors from both parties were too busy getting ready for their close-ups.
MJGolf
MJGolf
Joined: Aug 17, 2016
  • Threads: 6
  • Posts: 79
July 11th, 2020 at 6:00:35 PM permalink
Well the bars are shut down again. And any "bar top" which means that you can't play VP for example at a bar inside a casino. While I was just there past holiday weekend and a bit after, there was a rumor from folks in the industry, that they were going to shut the Cosmo down again, due to an outbreak of what I was told 12 people. But apparently this did not imminently happen. I'm sure that we will see in a few days (when the 14 day incubation period) ends from July 4th weekend..................which is coming very soon. I wonder what the numbers will be.
Vegasrider
Vegasrider
Joined: Dec 23, 2017
  • Threads: 55
  • Posts: 527
July 11th, 2020 at 6:44:51 PM permalink
I don't understand how they mandate weariing masks in casinos but still allow smoking. Before they even consider shutting down the casinos again they need to eliminate smoking. No if, ends or butt. The objective os for everyone to wear masks at all times. Don't give anyone an exuse to pull it down. Drinking is essential to stay hydrated. Smoking is not.

I'm currently in Elko NV, teaching for the state which is one of the three or four counties where they have closed the bars. Dine in is still open but this mask thing out in Elko is pretty laxed in the restaurant that Im currently at.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
Joined: Oct 5, 2011
  • Threads: 93
  • Posts: 3537
July 11th, 2020 at 6:46:56 PM permalink
Palazzo closing on weekdays starting July 21 because of low demand. It doesn't take much of a drop on traffic to close a hotel when they can barely make a profit with 50% occupancy.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
Joined: Oct 5, 2011
  • Threads: 93
  • Posts: 3537
July 11th, 2020 at 6:48:59 PM permalink
Quote: Vegasrider

I don't understand how they mandate weariing masks in casinos but still allow smoking. Before they even consider shutting down the casinos again they need to eliminate smoking. No if, ends or butt. The objective os for everyone to wear masks at all times. Don't give anyone an exuse to pull it down. Drinking is essential to stay hydrated. Smoking is not.

I'm currently in Elko NV, teaching for the state which is one of the three or four counties where they have closed the bars. Dine in is still open but this mask thing out in Elko is pretty laxed in the restaurant that Im currently at.



Both Boyd and Stations have stopped smoking at table games. If you lower your mask to drink you must step back from the table.
Vegasrider
Vegasrider
Joined: Dec 23, 2017
  • Threads: 55
  • Posts: 527
July 11th, 2020 at 6:52:47 PM permalink
Quote: AlanMendelson

Both Boyd and Stations have stopped smoking at table games. If you lower your mask to drink you must step back from the table.



Im referring to smoking inside the property. I know there is no smoking at the table games. But you can still smoke just standing around or playing slots or bingo.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
Joined: Oct 5, 2011
  • Threads: 93
  • Posts: 3537
July 11th, 2020 at 6:54:53 PM permalink
Quote: Vegasrider

Im referring to smoking inside the property. I know there is no smoking at the table games. But you can still smoke just standing around or playing slots or bingo.



Dont know about bingo but yes smoking is allowed elsewhere.
tringlomane
tringlomane
Joined: Aug 25, 2012
  • Threads: 8
  • Posts: 6261
July 11th, 2020 at 11:28:57 PM permalink
Quote: Vegasrider

Im referring to smoking inside the property. I know there is no smoking at the table games. But you can still smoke just standing around or playing slots or bingo.



This is the next logical step, imo. Ban smoking and the masks will definitely stay on more.

  • Jump to: