Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1325
Thanks for this post from:
tringlomane
July 10th, 2020 at 4:13:15 PM permalink
Quote: AlanMendelson

Who determines the necessities and what should be bought and when?

Everyone may decide that for himself. I probably should quit talking about this as it's getting political, which violates forum rules.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 94
July 10th, 2020 at 4:47:14 PM permalink
The new football stadium is "shutting down," at least for one day; the Cal-UNLV game scheduled for 8/29 has just been cancelled by Cal after the Pac-12 told its schools not to play any non-conference regular season football games this season.
gordonm888
gordonm888
  • Threads: 38
July 10th, 2020 at 6:45:00 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

I guess I should move to Rockland now. I have very low income, but a high net worth. You want a rich retired guy to pay almost no taxes because my income is very low rather than have me pay high real estate taxes because I own a $3,000,000 house?
Decades ahead of your time in not thinking it through......

Without any question, the fairest tax system would be a 'wealth' tax. Something like 1% of your net worth would be enough to eliminate the federal income tax. A billion from Bezos. 10's of millions from Trump. Every year. A 'regular' well off guy worth 2 million..... 20,000 a year.

The big problem is it would be subject to so much fraud and hiding of assets it would never work fairly. My Monet? it's worth $5,000. Bitcoins.... do I own any bitcoins? Etc....

People would start sheltering their wealth in assets like fine art and rare comic books -like Ben Affleck's character in The Accountant.

Action Comics#1, 9.2, Hidden in your house?
Amazing Fantasy#15, 9.6, locked in a vault.
An original Mike Shackleford video recording, buried in your back yard?
So many better men, a few of them friends, were dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things lived on, and so did I.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 108
July 10th, 2020 at 6:53:16 PM permalink
Quote: AlanMendelson

If your income is very low how can you possibly afford the property taxes on a three million dollar house?

Ask the people in California. They passed Prop 13 because inflation pushed up real estate prices faster than incomes, and without Prop 13 they'd lose their houses.

By the way the average property tax rate in New York State is 1.68%. Do you pay $54,000 a year on your home with low income?

My example was hypothetical. But I can afford the property taxes because I have saved up a bunch of money over the years. My point is I have a large net worth but NOT because of present income. There are a bunch of retired people who fit that bill.

In my neck of the woods the property tax rate is around 3%, by the way. Real estate is relatively cheap here.

if you think about it, why should only those working take on the burden of paying taxes?
redietz
redietz
  • Threads: 10
July 10th, 2020 at 7:14:41 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

People would start sheltering their wealth in assets like fine art and rare comic books -like Ben Affleck's character in The Accountant.

Action Comics#1, 9.2, Hidden in your house?
Amazing Fantasy#15, 9.6, locked in a vault.
An original Mike Shackleford video recording, buried in your back yard?

Well, by extreme coincidence, I have a copy of Amazing Fantasy #15, but it's just in fair condition, so not worth all that much. Damned shame, but I bought it from another kid for a nickel about 50 years ago, so cannot complain. But the cover still gives one a thrill.
"You can't breathe dead hippo waking, sleeping, and eating, and at the same time keep your precarious grip on existence."
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 24
July 10th, 2020 at 7:28:06 PM permalink
Triple the minimum wage and raise sales taxes to 12.5%.
gordonm888
gordonm888
  • Threads: 38
July 10th, 2020 at 7:36:57 PM permalink
Quote: redietz

Well, by extreme coincidence, I have a copy of Amazing Fantasy #15, but it's just in fair condition, so not worth all that much. Damned shame, but I bought it from another kid for a nickel about 50 years ago, so cannot complain. But the cover still gives one a thrill.

LOL, I own a copy of Amazing Fantasy #15 as well. Close to Very Good. It's not super valuable but was displayed in a small museum recently.
So many better men, a few of them friends, were dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things lived on, and so did I.
billryan
billryan 
  • Threads: 168
July 10th, 2020 at 7:48:40 PM permalink

The market for that book has been quite irrational for a few years now. Pretty much any complete copy can bring in five figures.
I bought a CGC 5.0 for 9500 in 2012 and sold it for 17,500 two years later. It then sold for $23,000 and currently is listed at $45,000.
Mycomicshop has a fair plus copy listed at $13,900 and a single page listed for $700. Dr. Anderson supposedly has five of them, all 9.0 or better.
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
July 10th, 2020 at 8:48:31 PM permalink
Quote: ChumpChange

Triple the minimum wage and raise sales taxes to 12.5%.

They are already about 10% here. Lol
jjjoooggg
jjjoooggg
  • Threads: 26
July 10th, 2020 at 11:54:29 PM permalink

Quick pivot to Vegas shutting down. A friend just told me that CET is requiring their employees to be tested by next week or they won't be allowed to work.

I realized things were going to hell in Nevada, but this move suggests that some really bad situations have already come up that haven't exactly made the front page.

I mean, really, if you test positive with a private doctor and decide to not tell anyone, what can employers do? So I assume for this to have teeth, CET has to oversee the testing or have legal access to results? How does that work?

A federal act: if one worker tests positive. The employer is required to pay quarantine paid leave for 14 days for everyone in the same area. Seems, there is a financial motive.

https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/pandemic/ffcra-employee-paid-leave
I belong to an elite group called the "Zombie Outbreak Response Team."

• Jump to: