djfarbs
djfarbs
  • Threads: 1
January 18th, 2017 at 5:39:56 AM permalink
So I live in Australia and haven't been to Vegas for a couple of years. We stayed at the Hard Rock in 2010 and it was loads of fun - the place was packed and full of young (our age) women, so a good time was had by all. Since then I think I've stayed there maybe 5 times and always in a comped room based on play.

We're going back in May from the 24th to 2nd of June and I can get a front end comped room most of the 9 days I'll be there. It's only the Friday and Saturday of the Memorial Day weekend showing as maybe $40. The Hard Rock has deteriorated a bit though and isn't as fun as it used to be. The host we used to use is also no longer there.

I've now been given gold MLife through Hyatt's status match program.

My gambling will be somewhere 2-4 hours a day at $30-100 a hand on BJ and craps etc, and maybe an hour or two of slots at around $5 a spin.

My question is whether it's worth staying at an MLife property because of this gold status, or will I end up with better comps elsewhere? The properties we are looking at are Mandalay, Aria, Cosmo etc. We're a younger group and I have some first timers coming so want to show them somewhere cool, that's going to be efficient for me in terms of gambling. I also see that I get a room upgrade by being gold, as well as VIP line at clubs etc, but I have no idea what this is actually worth.I'm also getting a 10-20% discount on the room rates themselves.

Living so far away I can't get to Vegas all that often so deals posted out to me are of little benefit.

Thanks
Last edited by: djfarbs on Jan 18, 2017
ahiromu
ahiromu
  • Threads: 112
January 18th, 2017 at 6:41:39 AM permalink
Gold means very little. The 10-20% discount is there, but who knows if that's discounted off of the best price. The upgrade would be from a regular room to a strip view, absolutely no way you'd get a suite. You also get to cut in line at the buffet (can you bring 8 others though?) and at check-in. I will go out on a limb and say that your play will not cover the room if it's not under a comp offer (back end). However, this is a guess, and I very well may be wrong.

You should spend some time on the strip, but don't expect anything special because of your Gold. My recommendation would be to get the best price online, even if you have to pay for it up front (expedia type of sites where you prepay the whole thing), then charge everything to the room and talk with the mlife desk on checkout to see how much food they can take off. I'm sure you'll get something on the back end.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
January 18th, 2017 at 8:09:53 AM permalink
I don't "do Vegas" the way most tourists do, but I've had MLife Gold for a while due to just paying money for rooms on business trips. I stayed in a Strip view suite at NYNY last year that was just fine. I didn't gamble much that trip but it was nice to have a decent room to come back to. I also stayed at the top floor of Monte Carlo a few times, Hotel 32 they called it. It's a boutique, hotel-in-a-hotel concept and you get a lot of perks up there too.

Of course, the regular rooms at Venetian or Palazzo are pretty nice too so it depends on where you want to be and your price range. At your play level, I would expect to get far better comps at NYNY or Monte Carlo than the LVSands properties.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
RogerKint
RogerKint
  • Threads: 15
January 18th, 2017 at 8:24:59 AM permalink
Greetings, mate! Since girls and complimentaries are at top of your list, and considering you dont do Vegas often, I would recommend the Cosmopolitan of the choices you gave. Cheers
100% risk of ruin
djfarbs
djfarbs
  • Threads: 1
January 18th, 2017 at 7:44:35 PM permalink
Quote: RogerKint

Greetings, mate! Since girls and complimentaries are at top of your list, and considering you dont do Vegas often, I would recommend the Cosmopolitan of the choices you gave. Cheers

Well I'll be with my girlfriend this time but we'd still like a younger crowd. Are the comps there that much better?
RogerKint
RogerKint
  • Threads: 15
January 18th, 2017 at 8:50:48 PM permalink
Quote: djfarbs

Well I'll be with my girlfriend this time but we'd still like a younger crowd. Are the comps there that much better?

The crowd is definitely younger at Cosmo. I rarely play at MGM properties because their slot club is downright lousy.
100% risk of ruin
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
January 18th, 2017 at 9:29:14 PM permalink
Imo the Cosmo Comps for a return visit are outstanding, at least they were for me. IIRC, after a single 4 hour visit, playing $10 craps and $25 pgp (about 50/50), they sent me a 3 night hotel package that included 100 food credit and $125 fp, good for 3 months. When I didn't use the first one, they sent me a second.

And their rooms are incredible. Smart rooms, huge bathrooms, all at least an efficiency w/wet bar & refrig ,I think they all have balconies. Ask for an Asian couple's room; the bathroom is stupendous.

Food choices are excellent. Pools (I think there are 4) are incredible. Very convenient parking.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
January 18th, 2017 at 9:53:12 PM permalink
Note about Cosmo, could be good or bad depending.....almost every time I've been there, one floor up from the gaming floor, near the strip (ie: walking toward Aria), I'd get some drug dealer type walking past me saying something like, "yay & thizz" in my ear.....presumably, trying to sell me cocaine or ecstasy.

He kinda looks like Marting Luther King, except he's really nice. Well, he's never been mean or anything. But, I decline the offer anyway.
  • Jump to: