purpsquad
purpsquad
  • Threads: 1
August 5th, 2013 at 12:09:29 AM permalink
Do you think more people would take the wager if it was called protection, defense, or armor?
And the dealer asked if anyone would like to protect their bet?

Half the reason I like betting on the hardways is because I like saying hardways...

No one likes insurance.
MangoJ
MangoJ
  • Threads: 10
August 5th, 2013 at 3:26:44 AM permalink
Everyone knows, insurance is a sucker bet. Naming a bet "insurance" could indeed give this association.

Technically, any bet that reduces variance could be called "hedge".
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
August 5th, 2013 at 6:07:28 AM permalink
Quote: purpsquad

Do you think more people would take the wager if it was called protection, defense, or armor?

Interesting question. Come to think of it, the average gambler is stupid enough that such a switch in terms might actually work. lol
Fighting BS one post at a time!
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
August 5th, 2013 at 6:12:00 AM permalink

And the dealer asked if anyone would like to protect their bet?

Half the reason I like betting on the hardways is because I like saying hardways...

No one likes insurance.

Call it "bonus" You get a bonus if the dealer gets a blackjack. Offer it before the hand at like 11-1. Then after one card, the dealer getting a 21 can be bought at whatever odds create a 5% house edge. Another awesome FinsRule sidebet invention. As usual, my fee is 10% of all profits.
purpsquad
purpsquad
August 5th, 2013 at 10:18:28 AM permalink
Quote: MangoJ

Everyone knows, insurance is a sucker bet. Naming a bet "insurance" could indeed give this association.

Technically, any bet that reduces variance could be called "hedge".

At what point does a bet become a sucker bet?
3% HE?
4% HE?

I feel like its gained a bad reputation not just for its HE, but because its not very rewarding in terms of entertainment or $.

Do you think the fire bet will suffer the same long term reputation as insurance? Its pretty fun...
purpsquad
purpsquad
August 5th, 2013 at 10:31:03 AM permalink
Quote: Beethoven9th

Interesting question. Come to think of it, the average gambler is stupid enough that such a switch in terms might actually work. lol

Sort of relevant. Re-branding of fish.
MangoJ
MangoJ
  • Threads: 10
August 5th, 2013 at 11:57:09 PM permalink

At what point does a bet become a sucker bet?

That's simple. Any bet with positive HE is a sucker bet.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
August 6th, 2013 at 1:37:47 AM permalink
Quote: Beethoven9th

The REASON most gamblers decline "insurance" is that they've been told over and over its a bad bet. They don't know what it is, they don't know why its bad, they just know its bad.

Give it a new and more marketing-oriented name and it will indeed takeoff... until the rumors spread.
  • Jump to: