SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
Joined: May 10, 2010
  • Threads: 34
  • Posts: 3465
January 5th, 2011 at 2:49:41 PM permalink
Report: NYC-AC train service to be suspendedAssociated PressATLANTIC CITY - The 2-year-old direct train service between Manhattan and Atlantic City is suspending service for the winter because of low ridership.

The Press of Atlantic City reports that the Atlantic City Express Services, or ACES, train will stop running between Jan. 14 and May 13.

The train service was started in February 2009 by three casinos - Caesars Atlantic City, Harrah's Resort and Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa - to lure New Yorkers to the shore resort.

The service has never turned a profit. The Casino Reinvestment Development Authority pumped $2 million into it the first year to help cover $5.9 million in loses. But the Authority said it would provide no more money to the train.

Train service between Philadelphia and Atlantic City is not affected.--inquirer.com
pacomartin
pacomartin
Joined: Jan 14, 2010
  • Threads: 649
  • Posts: 7895
January 6th, 2011 at 6:30:22 PM permalink
The ACES train goes by electric locomotive from New York city to Philadelphia. Then a diesel locomotive pushes it to Atlantic City. The extremely roundabout route takes much longer than a bus that goes straight down the Garden State Parkway.
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 178
  • Posts: 10202
January 7th, 2011 at 5:01:06 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

The extremely roundabout route takes much longer than a bus that goes straight down the Garden State Parkway.

Unless there is traffic on the Parkway.

Normally, particularly in summer, there is plenty of traffic. Of course, since the Parkway is currently undergoing a widening project, that might not be a problem anymore.

Couple that with traffic being diverted to casinos in other states, it becomes even less of a problem.
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? 😁 Note that the same could be said for Religion. I.E. Religion is nothing more than organized superstition. 🤗
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
Joined: Oct 19, 2009
  • Threads: 265
  • Posts: 14426
January 7th, 2011 at 6:46:15 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

The ACES train goes by electric locomotive from New York city to Philadelphia. Then a diesel locomotive pushes it to Atlantic City. The extremely roundabout route takes much longer than a bus that goes straight down the Garden State Parkway.


Dumb casinos.
Who were they trying to bring from Manhattan anyway? Five dollar a bet fleas willing to ride all over the place? Was the train making extra stops somewhere? I guess that use of the word "express" in the name should have been a tip off to me that it was anything but express. Why run a train service anyway if its not going to be faster than a car?
If the train ride is not fast and direct who would want to ride it? Why even offer it? Or is it just that the whole notion was just redistribution of tax revenue?
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
Joined: May 10, 2010
  • Threads: 34
  • Posts: 3465
January 7th, 2011 at 8:22:33 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Who were they trying to bring from Manhattan anyway? Five dollar a bet fleas willing to ride all over the place?


The original publicity said they were looking for under-40's.
Quote: FleaStiff

Was the train making extra stops somewhere?


Newark
Quote: FleaStiff

I guess that use of the word "express" in the name should have been a tip off to me that it was anything but express. Why run a train service anyway if its not going to be faster than a car?
If the train ride is not fast and direct who would want to ride it? Why even offer it? Or is it just that the whole notion was just redistribution of tax revenue?


Welcome to the wonderful world of NJ Transit. I've got more than 40 years' daily experience with both the rail and bus operations. Oy!!!
pacomartin
pacomartin
Joined: Jan 14, 2010
  • Threads: 649
  • Posts: 7895
January 8th, 2011 at 9:40:02 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Dumb casinos.
Who were they trying to bring from Manhattan anyway? Five dollar a bet fleas willing to ride all over the place? Was the train making extra stops somewhere? I guess that use of the word "express" in the name should have been a tip off to me that it was anything but express. Why run a train service anyway if its not going to be faster than a car?
If the train ride is not fast and direct who would want to ride it? Why even offer it? Or is it just that the whole notion was just redistribution of tax revenue?



The train only stopped at New York Penn Station and Newark Penn Station. The passenger train tracks do not go all the way down the NJ Coast, but stop about 60 miles north of Atlantic City. You have to go by way of Philadelphia (electric part way and diesel for the last leg) which requires two locomotives.
NandB
NandB
Joined: Jan 26, 2010
  • Threads: 8
  • Posts: 146
June 6th, 2011 at 9:42:35 PM permalink
Sorry to dig this up... but is the Philly-A.C. leg still running?, this used to be an easy Amtrak connexion in the 80's/90's. Personally did it 4 times.
Leave New Haven 5AM, change at Philly, 845AM, at 915AM Philly to AC. There before the tour busses at 11AM to 1115AM depending on NJT.
When I turned in the "TO" stubs at Ballys... $25 comp, Two rolls of Q's and $5 meal ticket. Not too shabby for $45 R/T.
Only problem was leave at 7PM... or else. LOL
To err is human. To air is Jordan. To arrr is pirate.
pacomartin
pacomartin
Joined: Jan 14, 2010
  • Threads: 649
  • Posts: 7895
June 6th, 2011 at 11:33:36 PM permalink
Quote: NandB

Sorry to dig this up... but is the Philly-A.C. leg still running?, this used to be an easy Amtrak connexion in the 80's/90's. Personally did it 4 times.
Leave New Haven 5AM, change at Philly, 845AM, at 915AM Philly to AC. There before the tour busses at 11AM to 1115AM depending on NJT.
When I turned in the "TO" stubs at Ballys... $25 comp, Two rolls of Q's and $5 meal ticket. Not too shabby for $45 R/T.
Only problem was leave at 7PM... or else. LOL



schedule for Philadelphia to AC
In the morning 9:01AM to 10:35AM (30th street Philadelphia to Atlantic City). There doesn't seem to be a 9:15, so if you can't make the 9:00 you may have to wait.

The standard NJ Transit line is still running. The ACES was a special train that left NYC on the weekend, and it made only one stop in Newark. It never even got as far as the 30th street station, but just pulled into a railyard and switched locomotives. They have to switch locomotives since the Philadelphia to AC run is not electrified, and you must travel by diesel. When I say "switch" locomotives, they carry both kinds with them. They just switch the one that is driving.
Without any stops or transfers it made the run much faster. But it is still slower than a bus since you have to go to PHL.
NandB
NandB
Joined: Jan 26, 2010
  • Threads: 8
  • Posts: 146
June 7th, 2011 at 1:04:38 AM permalink
I figured the schedules had changed a bit toward the tighter in 20-30 yrs. lol
To err is human. To air is Jordan. To arrr is pirate.
pacomartin
pacomartin
Joined: Jan 14, 2010
  • Threads: 649
  • Posts: 7895
June 7th, 2011 at 1:08:32 AM permalink
I just don't think there are AMTRAK trains that early anymore. The first one I see is New Haven, CT (NHV) to Philadelphia 7:11 AM- 10:06 AM

  • Jump to: