Poll

1 vote (20%)
1 vote (20%)
3 votes (60%)
1 vote (20%)

5 members have voted

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
  • Posts: 26497
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
Thanked by
Mission146
February 5th, 2024 at 4:53:40 PM permalink
I saw a new video poker variant at the Suncoast today called Bonus Wild. It is an optional feature plopped on multi-play video poker. The player must bet 10 coins per play to invoke the feature, with wins based on 5 credits bet per play.

Randomly, sometimes a card on the deal will be replaced with a wild card. The player is not informed what the original card was. Here are the games and feature probabilities at the $2 level on the game I saw.

8-5 Bonus Poker: 1 in 3.93
9-6-5 Double Bonus: 1 in 5.477
9-6 Double Double Bonus: 1 in 5.853
25-15-9-4-4 Deuces Wild: 1 in 2.675
8-5 Super Double Bonus: 1 in 6.153

The win for a five of a kind in Bonus Poker was 940.

Here is an example hand on the deal.



This game would be rather time consuming to analyze. I will probably pass on doing that for now, but maybe I'll get back to it.

The question for the poll is would you play Bonus Wild video poker?
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
100xOdds
100xOdds
  • Threads: 640
  • Posts: 4303
Joined: Feb 5, 2012
February 6th, 2024 at 5:55:23 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

The question for the poll is would you play Bonus Wild video poker?
link to original post


depends on How much +EV does it adds to the base game.

ie:
I don't play HotRoll vp because it doesnt add anything. it just ups the variance.
i'll play dstp even tho the variance is sky high because it adds .5% to the base game.
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
  • Posts: 16832
Joined: May 15, 2012
February 6th, 2024 at 5:56:11 AM permalink
I selected, 'No.'

Aside from the fact that the card removed from the deck (and, actually, is there one? Maybe it just does the draw as if 48 cards remaining?) is unknown and becomes a Wild Card; it seems like this game is pretty redundant to Draw Poker with Dream Card, especially the Deuces Wild variant of this game. It appears that the frequencies are less than that of DPwDC; I assume that is the case to compensate for the fact that these cards act as true wild, even in games that wouldn't normally have wild cards.

Can you only get one Wild Card in a starting hand? The one thing I'm having trouble understanding is why the Wild Card frequency for Deuces is so much less on this game than it is on Dream Card with Draw Poker for the same paytable; in the case of Dream Card, you'd normally be getting a deuce anyway, which is already wild.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
100xOdds
100xOdds
  • Threads: 640
  • Posts: 4303
Joined: Feb 5, 2012
Thanked by
Mission146
February 6th, 2024 at 6:00:34 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

it seems like this game is pretty redundant to Draw Poker with Dream Card, especially the Deuces Wild variant of this game. It appears that the frequencies are less than that of DPwDC; I assume that is the case to compensate for the fact that these cards act as true wild, even in games that wouldn't normally have wild cards.

Can you only get one Wild Card in a starting hand? The one thing I'm having trouble understanding is why the Wild Card frequency for Deuces is so much less on this game than it is on Dream Card with Draw Poker for the same paytable; in the case of Dream Card, you'd normally be getting a deuce anyway, which is already wild.
link to original post


I've never played Dreamcard (or quick quads) because there were always better paying vp in those casinos
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
  • Posts: 26497
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
Thanked by
Mission146
February 6th, 2024 at 8:47:16 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

Aside from the fact that the card removed from the deck (and, actually, is there one? Maybe it just does the draw as if 48 cards remaining?) is unknown and becomes a Wild Card; it seems like this game is pretty redundant to Draw Poker with Dream Card, especially the Deuces Wild variant of this game. It appears that the frequencies are less than that of DPwDC; I assume that is the case to compensate for the fact that these cards act as true wild, even in games that wouldn't normally have wild cards.



Mathematically, when you get a wild card it is like getting that wild card and four random cards.

Quote:

Can you only get one Wild Card in a starting hand? The one thing I'm having trouble understanding is why the Wild Card frequency for Deuces is so much less on this game than it is on Dream Card with Draw Poker for the same paytable; in the case of Dream Card, you'd normally be getting a deuce anyway, which is already wild.
link to original post



Right, only one wild card at most. The probability is higher in deuces because that game has a depressed pay table. Five wild cards instead of four doesn't change the odds that much, although the wild card can be part of a natural royal, unlike a deuce.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
  • Jump to: