GrolarBear
GrolarBear
  • Threads: 1
July 29th, 2023 at 5:10:11 PM permalink
I've been using your strategy for 9/6 double double bonus poker and I'm trying to wrap my head around why 2TK to 8TK suited gets its own category in the strategy table. It's impossible to get a straight or 4 of a kind with this hand, so it seems like all these hands are is 3 to a flush with one high card. Wouldn't a hand like 23J or 4TQ suited have the exact same weighting?

Thanks for any help
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
July 30th, 2023 at 7:37:19 AM permalink
Quote: GrolarBear

I've been using your strategy for 9/6 double double bonus poker and I'm trying to wrap my head around why 2TK to 8TK suited gets its own category in the strategy table. It's impossible to get a straight or 4 of a kind with this hand, so it seems like all these hands are is 3 to a flush with one high card. Wouldn't a hand like 23J or 4TQ suited have the exact same weighting?

Thanks for any help
link to original post

Here's my guess: it's to allow for the play being holding the KT as 2 to a Royal. It is different from, say, QT4 as KT only has one way to make a non-Royal SF (QJ9) while QT has two (KJ9, J98).
Mental
Mental
  • Threads: 13
July 30th, 2023 at 8:59:04 AM permalink
Quote: GrolarBear

Thanks for any help
link to original post

I assume you are referring to the Wizard's strategy. https://wizardofodds.com/games/video-poker/strategy/double-double-bonus/9-6/

The Ten has to be in the hand to prevent the best hold from being the bare king. The suited Ten is a penalty that prevents a K-high SF and the RF. This is enough to make the 3-flush a slightly better hold by a tiny amount. I never memorized this exception. I never hold any plain three-flushes in DDB. The specific hand rarely comes up and costs you .0022 credits worth of EV if you just hold the King. Even a suited 9 is not enough to make a 3-flush the right hold. Losing the SF draw doesn't penalize enough. For suited 29K, you just hold the King.

Strategy generators tend to spit out every single rule even if the EV gain from the rule is infinitesimal.
This forum is more enjoyable after I learned how to use the 'Block this user' button.
  • Jump to: