Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
Thanked by
michael99000tringlomane
October 29th, 2018 at 7:55:15 PM permalink
I'm happy to say that after years of waiting, the Video Poker Wizard is available for sale again for the iPhone and iPad. Every line of code was completely rewritten to bring it up to the modern Apple operating system. An Android version is currently in the works. As near as I can tell, the new version pretty much does everything the old one did. I would say it's improved, but the old one was so good that it didn't need improving.

I'm sure Josh, my boss, will appreciate any feedback about the app, which you may leave in this thread.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
CTheWorld
CTheWorld
  • Threads: 0
October 29th, 2018 at 10:13:20 PM permalink
Yay! Glad to have it back.

I downloaded the new version and it does seem pretty much the same as the original.

A couple minor differences
- In the analyze game section, it's missing a couple of the sub pages that used to be there,
I'd be nice to add back 'probability' and 'variance'. 'Combinations' is also gone, but that's not really needed given the other options.
- In another thread someone mentioned the beta version was slow. This version does take 3-4 seconds when you first select a game, but that's not a big deal as other than that it's pretty fast.
- When you deal/draw, the cards appear instantly, rather than being dealt one at a time. The speed option is no longer in settings.
- The help screen seems to be the exact same as the original, but some of the things it describes (like the speed setting or variance analysis) don't currently exist in this version.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
October 30th, 2018 at 10:29:31 AM permalink
Quote: CTheWorld

Yay! Glad to have it back.

Thank you for your comments. I'm sure Josh, the owner, will review them carefully.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
joshua.chan
Administrator
joshua.chan
Thanked by
tringlomane
November 1st, 2018 at 5:47:04 PM permalink
Thank you for the review CTheWorld, we will be sure to fix those bugs in the next version.

We are currently working on getting the Andriod version up.
CTheWorld
CTheWorld
Thanked by
tringlomane
January 19th, 2019 at 10:01:23 PM permalink
There’s one other important bug. They analyze-hand function sometimes gives the wrong answer if you change paytables.

To see this easil, start it up, pick a game&paytable, and analyze a pat hand. Say bonus-poker 8/5 and analyze a pat full house. It will correctly show an EV of 8. Now switch to 6/5 bonus, and again analyze a pat full house; it will still show the EV as 8, not 6. (This is obvious with a pat hand; it was less obvious when I analyzed some borderline hands and was confused by the results.) It seems to be analyzing based on the prior paytable. Quitting the app and restarting fixes it. Switching to a different game and back also seems to fix it.
joshua.chan
Administrator
joshua.chan
January 20th, 2019 at 9:22:48 PM permalink
Thanks CTheWorld, we have reported this bug to the app developers and we hope they fix it asap.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
Thanked by
tringlomane
January 20th, 2019 at 9:23:48 PM permalink
Looking forward to the Android! Please be sure and let us know when that one comes out.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
cyberbabble
cyberbabble
  • Threads: 2
Thanked by
tringlomane
January 20th, 2019 at 10:56:34 PM permalink
Yes, announce its availability on the forum.
I bought a new Android phone 2 months ago. I need apps to fill it up.
  • Jump to: