surnamehistorie
surnamehistorie
  • Threads: 2
February 4th, 2018 at 3:24:59 PM permalink
l like playing video poker but some say it is just like slow slots as it is random. Some say it's all you machine gas nothing to do with it. All machines the same if pay schedule the same. Thoughts please. Thanks
Zekka
Zekka
  • Threads: 0
February 4th, 2018 at 4:27:57 PM permalink
Most video poker machines don't pay out >100% on average, so they're like slot machines in the sense that you will usually lose money in the long run.

However, unlike slots, you can do worse than the intended payout rate by playing badly.

Some video poker machines have different payout tables than others, so theoretically you can figure out whether your machine can pay greater than 100%. I think Wizard has a calculator on his Wizard of Odds site?

Don't expect to make any money on video poker! I'm told it's a good way to grind out comps though.
surnamehistorie
surnamehistorie
  • Threads: 2
February 4th, 2018 at 4:58:53 PM permalink
I am thinking maybe craps has a little better odds
Zekka
Zekka
  • Threads: 0
February 4th, 2018 at 5:17:52 PM permalink
Both video poker and craps generally have pretty low house edges. I don't have enough posts to send links, but you can find pages on craps bets and video poker bets on the Wizard of Odds website. The caveat is that the minimum bet for craps may be much higher than the minimum bet for video poker.

Figure it this way: each time you play, you lose about <house edge> times <your bet>. If you make the same bet again and again in craps and the house edge is 1.4% and the minimum bet is $5, you lose about 0.014 * $5.00 = $0.07 per minimum bet round. If the minimum bet on video poker is $0.25 and the house edge is 5%, you lose 0.05 * $0.25 = $0.01 per minimum bet round. For these hypothetical machines: if a round of craps and a round of video poker take the same amount of time, then the odds on craps are better but the payout per round is actually worse.
  • Jump to: