mandrita
mandrita
  • Threads: 3
July 16th, 2016 at 7:33:06 PM permalink
So I was running around on the strip looking for potential games to play. I suddenly see a 25 cent video poker progressive sitting at $3800 (yes, I know it was crazy high!). Now, I'm not a professional video poker player. But it was easy to tell the game was positive ev. So I did what any player would do. I sat there and started grinding out hands. Sat there for four hours averaging about 300 hands an hour. Double checking my strategy making sure I was playing each hand right. When suddenly an old lady sits down next to me and starts playing the machine next to me. Ten minutes later, she hits the Royale. I guess I'm just venting at this point, but what would you guys have done to go after this progressive. Pay people to take seats? Work with other partners and split the profits? I'm just curious how others on this forum would approach this scenario.
Wizardofnothing
Wizardofnothing
  • Threads: 121
July 16th, 2016 at 7:55:44 PM permalink
If you are only able to do 300 hands an hour I would not have sat down: It's irrelevant that she had just sat down- that's just bad luck - even if the game was was 107 percent which might be highA at only 300 hands an hours you were playing with an expected value of roughly 25 an hour - good but certainly not huge
And depending on the pay table it may have been much less
No longer hiring, don’t ask because I won’t hire you either
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
July 16th, 2016 at 8:05:05 PM permalink
I'm guessing this was a 7/5 bonus poker progressive? That's as good as you'll get on the strip for quarters.
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
mandrita
mandrita
  • Threads: 3
July 16th, 2016 at 8:11:08 PM permalink
I'm not a professional, I consider myself a small time AP. Any plays that I can get my hands on, I'll take it. Also it was fun for me to be able to play video poker in a real setting, but I understand what you are saying. Unfortunately, I don't value my time. Lol.

Yes, it was a 7/5 machine.
Wizardofnothing
Wizardofnothing
  • Threads: 121
July 16th, 2016 at 8:37:02 PM permalink
So basically off the top of my head it was worth 14-16 an hour at the speed you were playing - unfortunately with those plays - yoyr value is not realized unless you hit the royal
No longer hiring, don’t ask because I won’t hire you either
TomG
TomG
  • Threads: 16
July 17th, 2016 at 1:44:22 PM permalink
A Royal is generally worth around 2% of the payback on a video poker machine. That means each $1000 (on a 25-cent machine) is worth that much with no change in strategy. So at 96% (probably typical of a strip progressive), it was almost certainly +EV once over $3000 (when including points).

Quote: mandrita

I'm just curious how others on this forum would approach this scenario.

Almost exactly as you did: put in a $100 bill and start banging away until someone hits it. Only difference: learned enough to not have to keep checking strategy after the first hour.

Just because something is +EV does not mean you are likely to win. In fact, if you want to maximize profits, you'll be making a lot of bets where you are very likely to lose. But eventually EV will equal profits (or losses). With points, maybe a 2% edge, or still only $15 per hour if you can quicken the pace. But that's still more money then walking past it
Asswhoopermcdaddy
Asswhoopermcdaddy
  • Threads: 87
July 18th, 2016 at 5:28:03 PM permalink
If you had a pair, do you go for the Royal, if

1.) Two to a royal
2.) Three to a royal
3.) Four to a royal (obviously)
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
July 18th, 2016 at 5:41:47 PM permalink
Quote: Asswhoopermcdaddy

If you had a pair, do you go for the Royal, if

1.) Two to a royal
2.) Three to a royal
3.) Four to a royal (obviously)

1) no
2) yes, and you also break two pair in all games
3) You do that in any game, but you also break a dealt king high straight flush and go for the royal.

https://wizardofodds.com/games/video-poker/strategy/a-1-b-37-c-1-d-0-d-1-d-2-d-3-d-4-d-5-d-7-d-25-d-40-d-80-d-50-d-3040/

Edit: Just rereading the OP, I'm shocked this was on the strip. But then again the only quarter progressive royal I have seen over 3k too was also on the strip (0.8% meter).

When it got hit...the dude standing and pointing was the winner. I couldn't even get on it. :(
Last edited by: tringlomane on Jul 18, 2016
  • Jump to: