ukaserex
ukaserex
  • Threads: 21
July 24th, 2015 at 4:07:57 AM permalink
I've noticed that many of us inspect a game's pay table before we start playing. Makes sense to me to do so.

I've also noticed that aside from personal preferences, a lot of you talk about playing double bonus as opposed to JoB.

I do get how the quad payoff is a lot nicer. I experienced it last night myself, much to my relief, or the night would have been a bit of a waste for me.

My question is this: it's obvious to me that I can play longer with 40 credits on JoB than I can on Double Bonus, because of the extra credits for getting 2 pair. Last night, because of what I've read here, I decided to take a closer look at the number of times that two pair difference in pay had an impact on my return. Turns out - it was kind of random. On some games, the two pairs I got were pretty much always a high pair and a low pair. On one session, I would have literally been ahead 60 more credits. (Doesn't seem like much when I compare the 125 credits vs 400)

What's the prevailing thought on this? How much more bankroll does a fellow need playing double bonus vs. JoB? ( I can't even fathom the number crunching that would take to determine.)

Given that quads *seem* to appear more often than I would think, it now makes sense to me to play the "dub" in lieu of JoB - until the machines RNG pretends to ignore my wishes and tries to send me numerous two pair hands, with both pair being lower than jacks.

Consistently played over time, discounting comps, the house will win. I think I like the idea of dropping a $400 dollar quad and heading back home.

I'd be interested in reading some thoughts on the matter.
"Those who have no idea what they are doing, genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they are doing." - John Cleese
abacabb
abacabb
  • Threads: 11
July 24th, 2015 at 4:47:33 AM permalink
I'm not really a double bonus player, but I'll give this a shot. First off, the return on the two games is different. Let's assume you are talking about full pay versions for both, so 99.54% on JoB and 100.17% on DB. Let's also assume that you get .63 for your slot club benefit on JoB to bring the payout in line with DB and no slot club benefit on DB. In practice, if you are an AP both of these are probably too low of a return to warrant playing, but if you include mailers, promotional days, drawings, etc. the value would go up. I just want to make them equal, regardless of whether you'd want to play them, to look at variance.

Using Wolf VP, for a 5% risk of ruin, the required DB bankroll for $1 denomination ($5 total bet) is around $125k. For JoB it's $82k. For a 1% RoR the DB bankroll is $192k and the JoB bankroll is $127k. Assuming both games have slot club/promotional benefit to bring them to 101% return, the required bankroll for 1% ROR on DB is $30k and on JoB is $18k.

I would say in general if people are talking about playing Double Bonus then it's because either DB is the best game to play (considering slot club, mailers, etc. and in comparison to other games) or because the return is not significantly different from JoB, they have the bankroll, and they find DB to be more fun. Even though I don't play DB I can identify with the latter. If I have similar returns between JoB and a Deuces Wild game, I will play DW, so long as it's within my bankroll comfort zone.

See the top chart here for some variance numbers about the specific games: https://wizardofodds.com/games/video-poker/appendix/3/
  • Jump to: