pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
March 24th, 2011 at 8:17:27 AM permalink
Why did France win the culture wars for gaming tables? The world's table games are basically French inventions: the rules of craps, roulette, twenty one, and baccarat completely dominate worldwide table games. Dice are over 3000 years old, but the French game rules ended up the standard. Why is 90% of the gaming in Macau baccarat?
I probably should have read all of .

I think it is interesting how one culture becomes completely obsessed with the product of another culture, like British and their tea, or Japanese fascination with Beethoven's 9th symphony. You would think that tiles would have ended up being the dominant game in China.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
March 24th, 2011 at 8:49:28 AM permalink
I've posted before about Casanova's escape from the Italian city states and his arrival at court in France. He brought the 6/49 lotto with him, established lotteries in France for the support of the royal military academy and became rich selling lottery tickets. Gambling became a national pastime in France.
Add to that the fact that French at the time was the language of diplomacy and international commerce, and you've got a pretty good reason for French tinged gambling to this day.
  • Jump to: