petro
petro
Joined: Dec 6, 2010
  • Threads: 17
  • Posts: 99
October 28th, 2014 at 5:59:28 AM permalink
Why do the players bend the cards in Baccarat?
If they want to see what the cards are they can look at the cards without bending them.

I asked a Baccarat dealer and he said he doesn't know.
1BB
1BB
Joined: Oct 10, 2011
  • Threads: 18
  • Posts: 5339
October 28th, 2014 at 6:35:05 AM permalink
I don't play but I think it's all superstition. They bend the cards a couple of ways to see the number of suits. Don't they blow on the cards and stab them with a pen as well?
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
Scooter77
Scooter77
Joined: Jun 12, 2013
  • Threads: 3
  • Posts: 62
October 28th, 2014 at 7:16:05 AM permalink
Quote: petro

Why do the players bend the cards in Baccarat?
If they want to see what the cards are they can look at the cards without bending them.

I asked a Baccarat dealer and he said he doesn't know.



Then he's not a good baccarat dealer.

The way the player reveals the side of the card tells him it is either a face card or it shows 2, 3, or 4 pips along the side.
2 pips (four or five)
3 pips (six, seven, or eight)
4 pips (nine or ten)
bending from the end of the card then differentiates between 4/5, 6/7/8, or 9/10

A good baccarat dealer can tell you the score before the player turns over the cards.
ShineyShine
ShineyShine
Joined: Feb 6, 2014
  • Threads: 6
  • Posts: 187
October 28th, 2014 at 9:56:24 AM permalink
Quote: Scooter77

Then he's not a good baccarat dealer.

The way the player reveals the side of the card tells him it is either a face card or it shows 2, 3, or 4 pips along the side.
2 pips (four or five)
3 pips (six, seven, or eight)
4 pips (nine or ten)
bending from the end of the card then differentiates between 4/5, 6/7/8, or 9/10

A good baccarat dealer can tell you the score before the player turns over the cards.



Agree with this.

There's also 0 pips (Ace, two, three)

It's all part of the show. Similar to how some people squeeze their cards in poker.
ShineyShine
ShineyShine
Joined: Feb 6, 2014
  • Threads: 6
  • Posts: 187
October 28th, 2014 at 10:06:34 AM permalink
Quote: Scooter77

Then he's not a good baccarat dealer.

The way the player reveals the side of the card tells him it is either a face card or it shows 2, 3, or 4 pips along the side.
2 pips (four or five)
3 pips (six, seven, or eight)
4 pips (nine or ten)
bending from the end of the card then differentiates between 4/5, 6/7/8, or 9/10

A good baccarat dealer can tell you the score before the player turns over the cards.



Though i don't think this is absolutely necessary for being a good Baccarat dealer, as long as he deals the game correctly otherwise. It's something most dealers pick up whilst dealing it anyway.
petro
petro
Joined: Dec 6, 2010
  • Threads: 17
  • Posts: 99
October 29th, 2014 at 8:03:37 PM permalink
So the answer to why people bend the cards in Baccarat is; tradition?
andysif
andysif
Joined: Aug 8, 2011
  • Threads: 23
  • Posts: 432
October 29th, 2014 at 8:35:58 PM permalink
just to prolong the suspense. more excitement.
Scooter77
Scooter77
Joined: Jun 12, 2013
  • Threads: 3
  • Posts: 62
October 29th, 2014 at 9:03:19 PM permalink
Quote: petro

So the answer to why people bend the cards in Baccarat is; tradition?




In my opinion, sort of.

I think (symbolically) having the bank, drawing the cards from the shoe, and exposing the banker's hand is a responsibility, a sign of status, and an ego boost. The traditions of the Chinese players (especially the alpha males and females) fit the game perfectly.

Running off on a bit of a tangent, dealing a good baccarat game is physically and mentally a little easier than dealing a good craps game, but full bacc is much more elegant than dice.

  • Jump to: