NewGamble1
NewGamble1
  • Threads: 1
April 4th, 2013 at 8:57:20 AM permalink
so I'm new to table games and I'm having trouble with seeing pushes. For example, two pair on the board and a queen. Queen higher than either high cards (mine and dealers) . Would that be a push?

Pair on board and three cards higher than both 2 cards dealer and I have. Push?

Also if theres no hands on the board it's just the dealers 2 cards vs mine? Or do you still have to see if ones cards are low enough to where they are playing the board?

Basically I'm always thinking I'm losing or winning when I'm pushing. This is kind of a rough explanation. I'm hoping some veterans will understand where I'm getting confused. Thanks in advanced.
vendman1
vendman1
  • Threads: 9
April 4th, 2013 at 9:41:21 AM permalink
Simple, you make the best 5 card poker hand from among the 5 cards on the board + the two in your hand. The dealer does the same. So if you have say 6,8..(suits irrelevant for this example) and the dealer has 9,J...and the board comes up. A,A,Q,Q,6. You both have two pair; Aces and Queens..but the dealer has a J kicker so he/she wins. The fact that you have a 6 which also pairs the board is not relevant because you can't have a 3 pair poker hand.

So: Your hand is A,A,Q,Q,8
Dealers Hand A,A,Q,Q,J

You would lose the hand. Does that help?
NewGamble1
NewGamble1
April 4th, 2013 at 9:54:06 AM permalink
Yes I see how that scenario worked out but some like the ones I posted are what I'm having trouble with.
MangoJ
MangoJ
  • Threads: 10
April 4th, 2013 at 10:18:16 AM permalink
Quote: NewGamble1

For example, two pair on the board and a queen. Queen higher than either high cards (mine and dealers) . Would that be a push?

So the board is 2,6,2,Q,6 and you have 3,J and the dealer has 7,8.

From the 7 cards (262Q6 and 3J) you form the best poker hand, which is 6622Q (two pairs 6s and 2s, and the Q kicker).
The dealer does the same, from 262Q6 and 78 the best hand is 6622Q.

Both best hands are equal in rank (in fact they are the identical han), and that will be a push.
NewGamble1
NewGamble1
April 4th, 2013 at 10:56:00 AM permalink
Thank you. How about the pair on the board and no hand on the board scenarios?
Thanks a lot for the fast helpful feedback so far.
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
April 4th, 2013 at 11:59:34 AM permalink

Thank you. How about the pair on the board and no hand on the board scenarios?
Thanks a lot for the fast helpful feedback so far.

If you only have one pair on the board, it's a lot more likely that at least one your cards will play in your hand.

If the board is QQJ64 and you have T5, then you will play QQJT6 (hole card in bold). And this is a call btw, because only 4 aces, 4 kings, 2 queens, 3 jacks, 3 sixes, 3 fours = 19 possible single cards to beat you. When you don't play the board, you should call if less than 21 single cards beat you after the river. When you do play the board, you should call if less than 18 single cards beat you on the river.
NewGamble1
NewGamble1
April 4th, 2013 at 1:42:20 PM permalink
Its hard explaining what I'm confused about. Any more help and examples appreciated
dwheatley
dwheatley
  • Threads: 25
April 4th, 2013 at 2:23:12 PM permalink

so I'm new to table games and I'm having trouble with seeing pushes. For example, two pair on the board and a queen. Queen higher than either high cards (mine and dealers) . Would that be a push?

Push

Pair on board and three cards higher than both 2 cards dealer and I have. Push?

Push

Also if theres no hands on the board it's just the dealers 2 cards vs mine? Or do you still have to see if ones cards are low enough to where they are playing the board?

Probably not a push, but could be. If all 5 cards are higher than both your cards and both the dealer's cards, it's a push. If 4 cards are higher, and your top card is the same as the dealer's, push.
Wisdom is the quality that keeps you out of situations where you would otherwise need it
tringlomane
tringlomane
April 4th, 2013 at 5:57:46 PM permalink
Quote: dwheatley

Probably not a push, but could be. If all 5 cards are higher than both your cards and both the dealer's cards, it's a push. If 4 cards are higher, and your top card is the same as the dealer's, push.

Yeah a board of AKQJ9 would often be a push. At least a push often enough to warrant a call.
miplet
miplet
  • Threads: 5
April 4th, 2013 at 6:42:25 PM permalink
Quote: tringlomane

Yeah a board of AKQJ9 would often be a push. At least a push often enough to warrant a call.

You shouldn't call an unpaired board without atleast a kicker.
“Man Babes” #AxelFabulous
tringlomane
tringlomane
April 4th, 2013 at 8:44:58 PM permalink
Quote: miplet

You shouldn't call an unpaired board without atleast a kicker.

Yeah, looks like your right. I miscounted cards that beat you: 3 A's, 3 K's, 3 Q's, 3 J's, 4 T's, 3 9's = 19 cards, which is a fold if you play the board.
NewGamble1
NewGamble1
April 6th, 2013 at 5:11:49 AM permalink
Can I get examples of tricky scenarios and their outcomes? Thanks a lot I'm starting to figure it out
dwheatley
dwheatley
  • Threads: 25
April 6th, 2013 at 5:23:19 AM permalink
If you are trying to learn when you push the dealer, I think we've covered most of the tricky situations. If you are trying to learn how to play the game better... I am copying this from an older post I made:

To get proficient in UTH you should do two things:
1) learn a strategy:
-either buy James Grosjean's strategy, which I understand is simple and powerful. I think you buy it here for $6: http://www.shoplva.com/products/ultimate-texas-holdem

-or head on over to discountgambling.net and learn an even stronger but maybe less intuitive strategy. I like it, others don't. http://discountgambling.net/ultimate-texas-holdem/

The discount gambling site is particularly good for studying odd plays. He lists dozens of borderline plays, and shows the correct and incorrect calls.

2) Practice!
- go to the wizard's game, and tell it to warn you on strategy errors. It's great.
https://wizardofodds.com/play/ultimate-texas-hold-em/

If you wonder why you made a mistake, you can check the discountgambling page for explanations of the most common errors.
Wisdom is the quality that keeps you out of situations where you would otherwise need it
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
April 6th, 2013 at 8:03:09 AM permalink
Some of the tight hands you will encounter for a 1x Raise (aka "Call") NO 4-to-a-Straight or 4-Flush on board!!!
Board 2-Pair and kicker all ranked 9 or better... call
Board 2-Pair and kicker all less than 9... call if you hold a 10 or better
Call any board ranked one pair or better only if
A.) SIX ranks or fewer beat your kicker (A-Q-Q-6-5 can call with a 10 or better [AKQJ65 beats your kicker] ), or
B.) your kicker makes ALL kickers 10-low or better (6-6-A-Q-8 can call if holding a 10, J, or K), or
C.) your kicker makes the entire board 9-low or better (A-A-K-10-6 can call if holding a 9 or better).
D.) The Baord is a pat Full House, or Str-Flush... some people will also call board Flushes and Straights.

On a Nada board
A.) call if holding a King
B.) call if the board contains an Ace OR King if you hold a Queen
C.) call if the board contains an Ace-King, Ace-Queen, or King-Queen if you hold a Jack
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
  • Jump to: