1 vote (25%)
1 vote (25%)
No votes (0%)

4 members have voted

FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
April 15th, 2012 at 1:14:34 PM permalink
Ok, after the latest round of preps, I think we can come up with the top 9 favorites + the field. The race is in less than 3 weeks, who you got?

Best chances from the field are - Alpha, Went the Day Well, Daddy Nose Best, Secret Circle.

(Sorry for the Double Post - Spelled Derby wrong in Title)
DanMahowny
DanMahowny
  • Threads: 8
April 15th, 2012 at 3:47:18 PM permalink
It's a little early for me. Now that the prep races are complete, I have a short list, but I will wait until Derby week to make a pick.

Hope this thread gets a lot of responses- I love this stuff.
"I don't have a gambling problem. I have a financial problem."
kenarman
kenarman
  • Threads: 28
April 15th, 2012 at 4:49:23 PM permalink
I like 'I'll Have Another'. He had a really good time at the Santa Anita Derby that should put him in contention.
Be careful when you follow the masses, the M is sometimes silent.
FinsRule
FinsRule
April 19th, 2012 at 8:57:19 AM permalink
Union Rags seems like such a good pick.

Sort of forgotten about with Gemologist being undefeated, Bodemeister having a huge Arkansas Derby, Dullahan beating Hansen in Blue Grass, Hansen being 2yo champ.

Union Rags has been the best horse in the country of his generation for almost a year, and we might be able to get him at 6-1 or 7-1. Maybe it's not too bad.

Buzz, thoughts?
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
April 19th, 2012 at 9:10:12 AM permalink
This is a tuff field. And I mean tuff. Hansen is another Bold Lad. If only he relaxes near the front. But that's not likely to happen.
I bet on the winner of the Santa Anita derby. Took him whole stretch to win in a photo. But did not like that he only beat the 3rd horse by 1/2 a length, a 42 to 1 shot who had led all the way. And only had a 1/2 length lead at head of stretch.

Fin, need a copy of " The body language of Horses " Picked it up at a garage sale last week. Can mail if you like. Just PM addy.
Would be valuable anytime, but especially if you are goona be at Derby. many a good horse has left his best race in the paddock or
saddling ring on Derby Day.

Will wait for post positions before posting my choice.
FinsRule
FinsRule
April 19th, 2012 at 9:51:09 AM permalink
Buzz, no thanks on the book. I'll be with wife and baby at the Derby. I can't imagine we'll be able to get to the Paddock more than once. I've never been to the Derby before, but something about 150,000 people crowded in one race track makes me think it might be a little crowded...
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
April 19th, 2012 at 10:03:48 AM permalink
I have been to Preakness and in the infield. Lots of drunks, first timers, etc, But what a view from the inner rail.
I have even spotted a few sore horses on tv with the book . First read it years ago. Have fun.
JW17
JW17
  • Threads: 8
April 19th, 2012 at 5:54:49 PM permalink
IM trying to build my ticket(s). Yes it is a little early, but my top 3 in order are: Creative Cause, I just think he is on the edge of greatness and we havent seen his best, May 5th we will see his best. Take Charge Indy, did you see Borel on the rail with him? He wont get to the lead like that in the derby, but Borel is a master in the derby. Bodemeister, the consistent beyers are impressive, and that last race was stupid good.
  • Jump to: