kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
January 4th, 2022 at 1:55:16 PM permalink
Can you imagine being a fan of the Jags? What a mess the whole organization is. Seems like it is going to take a long time to get things right. They probably are going to really screw up Trevor Lawrence in the process.

I grew up in Daytona. When I was a kid all of northern Florida was Tampa Bay fans and so were my friends and I. When I moved to Phila, I adopted the Eagles. Now when my brother who is younger than me was a kid, Jacksonville entered the league, was closer and a pretty good team very quickly and him and all his friends were Jacksonville Fans. My brother, one of those friends that he grew up with, that lives with us and my Mother, who lives nearby are all still Jacksonville fans, although not all that "fanatic" the past couple years. LOL.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 35
January 4th, 2022 at 2:10:57 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

Can you imagine being a fan of the Jags? What a mess the whole organization is. Seems like it is going to take a long time to get things right. They probably are going to really screw up Trevor Lawrence in the process.
link to original post

Well, I for one don't have to imagine!

Yeah, it's pretty bad, but we do have an owner who wants to put a winning product on the field and isn't afraid to spend money. We've got a (hopefully) franchise quarterback. And we have lots of space under the salary cap.

I don't know that it has to take a long time, but a lot of things definitely need to change.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 133
Thanks for this post from:
Joeman
January 4th, 2022 at 2:14:02 PM permalink
Quote: Joeman

Quote: Mission146

If I'm Darrell Bevell, my pregame speech includes, "...and we are literally being DISRESPECTED by every single person in the entire world who watches the NFL (pause) and are they saying the odds are against us? No. People say that every week. That's a reasonable thing to say. Are they saying we CAN'T win? No. That wouldn't be true even if they did say it, but they're doing something much worse---they are laughing hysterically at the very notion of us winning this game. We have played the Bengals close, we BEAT the Dolphins, we BEAT the Bills, we ONLY lost to the Colts by six earlier this year...Now, maybe we won't win this game, but we're damn sure going to try...and I want this defense to take a piece of these mens' souls with every single hit. I want them wincing through their own blood as they line up for every single play. We are going to try to win and we CAN win, but win or lose, we will PUNISH THE OPPONENT for this disrespect today."

I think that's pretty good.
link to original post

I like it. You know, if you want to make these speeches (and do some other football stuff) for a living, there is a job opening in Jax you may want to check out! ;)

BTW Mission, are you still on the Jaguars bandwagon? I remember you posted the following a while back:
Quote: Mission146

Thus, I have come to a decision, I am now a fan of the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Thank you for your kind attention.
link to original post

*** Clipped for relevance, but the link takes you to the whole post ***
link to original post

I ended up sticking with the Patriots and then moving to the Buccaneers. As we saw with Antonio Brown, our Lord and Savior is capable of great forgiveness and mercy, so I am certain that I have been forgiven for ever considering any team that does not have #TB12 at the helm.

I've already been offered the head coaching job for the Jacksonville Jaguars, which I declined. The money was there, I'll be honest, but I think the impact on other head coaching opportunities I might be offered down the line could be too negative if things were to really go off the rails with JAX. It's not worth the risk to my coaching career.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 133
January 4th, 2022 at 2:22:03 PM permalink

I grew up in Daytona. When I was a kid all of northern Florida was Tampa Bay fans and so were my friends and I. When I moved to Phila, I adopted the Eagles. Now when my brother who is younger than me was a kid, Jacksonville entered the league, was closer and a pretty good team very quickly and him and all his friends were Jacksonville Fans. My brother, one of those friends that he grew up with, that lives with us and my Mother, who lives nearby are all still Jacksonville fans, although not all that "fanatic" the past couple years. LOL.
link to original post

My formative years as a football fan (literally a little kid) began in the Patriots years of the late 80's and early 90's, so I know what it is to struggle through cheering for a team despite the fact that they absolutely suck. I'll tell you something, the reward of that first Super Bowl was worth it.

Also, the prophet, Drew Bledsoe...for it was Bledsoe that led our people from out of the desert and paved the way for the arrival of the true Messiah, your Lord and Savior, Tom Brady...who took those final steps that would lead us out of the desert and into Providence. The milk and honey flowed and rings adorned the fingers of the righteous, so many rings and such were the riches that one hand was not enough, nay, only if a man had an extra digit on his hand!
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 207
January 4th, 2022 at 3:19:35 PM permalink
I grew up a Giants fan. To make matters worse, the first year I really followed them, they started 5-0. Of course, they finished 7-7.
They only sniffed the playoffs once until 1985. The next thirty years were good with five Super Bowl appearances, but the last few years have been bad.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
ksdjdj
ksdjdj
  • Threads: 84
January 4th, 2022 at 3:50:09 PM permalink
Quote: ksdjdj

Here are my "to make the playoffs" odds for the remaining NFC teams still "in the hunt" :

49ers (9-7): ~$1.69 / -144
Saints (8-8): $2.44 / +144

Note: I will try and do an AFC "odds ... to make the playoffs" post in the next couple of days (it will take a bit longer to work out).
link to original post

Going to work soon, so I am just posting my current estimated odds for the Colts / Jags game

Colts (9-7): ~$1.15 (-670)
Jags (2-14): $7.70 (+670)

Note: I had a "smallish" / $200 to win $210 bet on the Jags @ +14.5 ATS, and $60 to win $480 ML.
kewlj
kewlj
Mission146
January 4th, 2022 at 4:36:39 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

I grew up a Giants fan. To make matters worse, the first year I really followed them, they started 5-0. Of course, they finished 7-7.
They only sniffed the playoffs once until 1985. The next thirty years were good with five Super Bowl appearances, but the last few years have been bad.

I don't KNOW the feeling of waiting forever since I have only been an Eagles fan for 20 years now (my adult life), but I saw my late partner experience just that feeling. When the Eagles won the Superbowl in 2018 he was in his late 50's and had been an Eagles fan all his life. When the game was winding down and it became clear the Eagles were going to win, I witnessed a joy from him, that he had waited a lifetime for and didn't think he would ever see. I was a very special thing to watch. And from my time in Philly, I knew a few other people, that had waited 40. 50, years for that as well, that I am sure were experiencing that same one in a lifetime feeling whereever they were.
kewlj
kewlj
Mission146ksdjdj
January 4th, 2022 at 4:48:41 PM permalink
Quote: ksdjdj

Colts (9-7): ~$1.15 (-670)
Jags (2-14): $7.70 (+670)

Note: I had a "smallish" / $200 to win $210 bet on the Jags @ +14.5 ATS, and $60 to win $480 ML.

While this is not a playoff game, it is as close as you can come for the Colts. And Carson Wentz has played in less than 1 quarter of 1 playoff game in his career, completing 1 for 4 passes, for 3 yards before leaving with an injury. So he basically has zero experience in a big game. It was Nick Foles who won 2 playoff games and a superbowl in 2018 and won a playoff game in 2019, each time after Wentz got hurt. So who knows how he will perform in a big game. History says he will get hurt. :/

A team like Jacksonville who has had a horrendous season, is just the kind of team that would love nothing more than to pull that upset and send the Colts home. Sort of a nothing to lose situation for them.
moses
moses
  • Threads: 10
January 4th, 2022 at 8:14:27 PM permalink
Assuming all win out as they should.Wentz will be taking a short trip to Cincy.

Jalen Hurts would be a nice fit in New Orleams with Alvin Kamara.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 79
January 5th, 2022 at 6:23:29 AM permalink

Quote: moses

So if Steelers, Chargers, Raiders end in a 3 way tie. Steelers are out?

Yes, Steelers lost to both the Raiders and Chargers, so they would lose a tie breaker with all 3 teams.

But the thing that is REAALY going to cost the Steelers is a tie win Detroit Lions. If you tie a 1 win team, you don't deserve the playoffs. LOL.
link to original post

But the Lions have two wins. They beat the Vikings and Cardinals so clearly they are an up and coming team.
Order from chaos

• Jump to: