redietz
redietz
  • Threads: 49
September 21st, 2021 at 6:10:00 AM permalink
I report this because it seems like such an unusual result. I'm in a free off shore contest. You must make six NFL spread choices each week. I don't ever bother to enter these kinds of forced choice contests with a required per week number of games unless they are free. I do some NFL betting, but not much, and two-thirds of it is totals.

Anyway, six games a week. Roughly 230 entrants. After two weeks, two people are 12-0, which is the old 1000-1 against. Not too shabby.
"You can't breathe dead hippo waking, sleeping, and eating, and at the same time keep your precarious grip on existence."
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
September 21st, 2021 at 6:34:36 AM permalink

kind of wondering why you're always talking about various contests you're in and did so fantastic in but you didn't join the WOV contest

I didn't join either - but I'm not constantly posting about what a great pickster I am

not enough bucks to win?_________or other reasons?

Please don't feed the trolls
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
September 21st, 2021 at 8:46:53 AM permalink
Quote: redietz

I report this because it seems like such an unusual result. I'm in a free off shore contest. You must make six NFL spread choices each week. I don't ever bother to enter these kinds of forced choice contests with a required per week number of games unless they are free. I do some NFL betting, but not much, and two-thirds of it is totals.

Anyway, six games a week. Roughly 230 entrants. After two weeks, two people are 12-0, which is the old 1000-1 against. Not too shabby.

• link to original post

In a pool of 230 players, that's not "that" rare; assuming random team selection, it should happen about once in every 46 pairs of weeks.
    redietz
    redietz
    • Threads: 49
    September 21st, 2021 at 9:42:19 AM permalink
    Quote: ThatDonGuy

Quote: redietz

• link to original post

In a pool of 230 players, that's not "that" rare; assuming random team selection, it should happen about once in every 46 pairs of weeks.
  • link to original post

Thanks for doing the math for that. Normally I hit up a friend of mine who taught probability, but he was in Asheville at some function, so I didn't get to ask him.

To rooster, I have no idea what the WoV rules were, but if it was a free contest, I guess I should have entered. I don't enter these forced-choice NFL spread contests with a certain minimum number of games each week unless they are free. I think they create real bad habits -- like squinting at games you really have no opinion on, like creating an inclination to play a certain number of games each week, just bad habits, bad ways of looking at things. And I don't have much time to spare, honestly.

To repeat what I have said here previously, 80-85% of my money bet each year is on college football. Two-thirds of what l do bet on NFL is on totals. So the idea of picking five or six games a week in the NFL in search of a profit is pretty much comical. The only NFL spread contest I entered last year, which was free, was for an offshore, and the only reason I did that was because they allowed you to take zero to six games a week. I finished tied for second. Well, I got in this same contest, and this year they are forcing you to take six games each week. So I'll get out a bottle of Wild Turkey, my ouija board, a handy dart board, and get to work. I'm 8-4 after two weeks and there are monthly prizes, so I guess I have to try.

Really, people, nobody makes any great profits actually betting NFL. It's like a standing joke. You would be surprised how some of the highest profile NFL spread contest players have done actually betting NFL in their lifetimes. It ain't pretty.

And since rooster seemed to be a tad disrespectful, I'm going to repeat my finishes from last year, with precision. And I'm going to repeat them because (1) the results were verifiable and real, (2) now that a new season is underway, I am fully aware how hard it was to do what I did, (3) I'm unlikely to do it again in my lifetime, and (4) nobody on this board has done anything like it or will, so raspberries, rooster. I finished tied for sixth in Northbet NFL no spread, out of a couple thousand; (2) I finished tied for sixth in Heritage "Race to the Super Bowl", no spread NFL with prime time totals, out of a couple thousand, (3) finished tied for second in YouWager NFL spread out of 250 or so, and finished top 10 in Gaming Today's no spread NFL, which had to have 20,000 people.

There you go, rooster. happy?
    Last edited by: redietz on Sep 21, 2021
    "You can't breathe dead hippo waking, sleeping, and eating, and at the same time keep your precarious grip on existence."
    DRich
    DRich
    • Threads: 86
    September 21st, 2021 at 11:15:02 AM permalink
    redietz, did you find any good college football handicapping contests this year/ Those I would be interested in.
    At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
    • Jump to: