Thread Rating:

Poll

3 votes (21.42%)
3 votes (21.42%)
1 vote (7.14%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (7.14%)
2 votes (14.28%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
4 votes (28.57%)

14 members have voted

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 1368
  • Posts: 22729
March 22nd, 2021 at 9:16:53 PM permalink
Good year for upsets in March Madness.

I don't have to say for this initial post on the topic. However, to start, here is the average seed to advance to each level compared to the historical average.

End of Round 2021 All time
1 6.56 5.83
2 5.88 4.55


In other words, the average seed to make it to the Sweet Sixteen is 5.88, compared to a historical 4.55.

Another point of interest is a 15 seed (Oral Roberts) has advanced to the Sweet Sixteen, for only the second time in tournament history.

Unfortunately, my own UCSB got knocked out in the first round.

Just getting things going with this post. Feel free to post anything about the tournament this year.

The question for the poll is who do you think will win?
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
gerback123
gerback123
Joined: May 13, 2020
  • Threads: 0
  • Posts: 6
March 23rd, 2021 at 5:46:14 AM permalink
What are the seed aggregates compared to previous years?
DRich
DRich
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
  • Threads: 75
  • Posts: 7198
March 23rd, 2021 at 6:08:14 AM permalink
Will a team seeded higher than #4 make the Final Four?
Living longer does not always infer +EV
Doc
Doc
Joined: Feb 27, 2010
  • Threads: 45
  • Posts: 7056
March 23rd, 2021 at 6:56:53 AM permalink
I had three teams of personal interest -- one in the NCAA Men's division, one in the NIT, and one in the NCAA Women's division. The first two lost their first games, while the third was behind 34-17 at the end of the first half. Talk about depressing! Then that third team managed to come from behind to win in overtime. So one of "my" three teams survived until today, when they are projected to lose. Guess I don't really care all that much who will win it all.
gordonm888
gordonm888
Joined: Feb 18, 2015
  • Threads: 44
  • Posts: 2818
March 23rd, 2021 at 11:28:36 AM permalink
There is a lesson to be learned from the the first week of results of the Tournament.

1. The Pac-12 was much better than the experts and the committee assessed them to be.

2. The Big10 was over-rated. We heard all year that they were the best conference by far, and they got nine (i think) teams into the tourney. After two rounds, only one of those teams is left.

3. The reason why the Big 10 Conference was ranked too high is because it started out the season being ranked high in the pre-season polls -and so everyone in the Big10 got credit for a high "Strength of Schedule" by playing each other - which reinforced the assumption that they were all good teams. A lot of these so-called great teams had 6 to 9 losses and in the NCAA Tourney they went down quickly when they faced good mid-major teams.
**************
Also, I don't believe that any team seeded 12 or lower has ever made the Final Four.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
unJon
unJon
Joined: Jul 1, 2018
  • Threads: 14
  • Posts: 2372
March 23rd, 2021 at 12:16:44 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Good year for upsets in March Madness.

I don't have to say for this initial post on the topic. However, to start, here is the average seed to advance to each level compared to the historical average.

End of Round 2021 All time
1 6.56 5.83
2 5.88 4.55


In other words, the average seed to make it to the Sweet Sixteen is 5.88, compared to a historical 4.55.

Another point of interest is a 15 seed (Oral Roberts) has advanced to the Sweet Sixteen, for only the second time in tournament history.

Unfortunately, my own UCSB got knocked out in the first round.

Just getting things going with this post. Feel free to post anything about the tournament this year.

The question for the poll is who do you think will win?



I read the sum of the seeds in the sweet 16 is the largest ever in NCAA tournament history.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
JimRockford
JimRockford
Joined: Apr 17, 2012
  • Threads: 12
  • Posts: 538
March 23rd, 2021 at 12:41:47 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

There is a lesson to be learned from the the first week of results of the Tournament.

1. The Pac-12 was much better than the experts and the committee assessed them to be.

2. The Big10 was over-rated. We heard all year that they were the best conference by far, and they got nine (i think) teams into the tourney. After two rounds, only one of those teams is left.

3. The reason why the Big 10 Conference was ranked too high is because it started out the season being ranked high in the pre-season polls -and so everyone in the Big10 got credit for a high "Strength of Schedule" by playing each other - which reinforced the assumption that they were all good teams. A lot of these so-called great teams had 6 to 9 losses and in the NCAA Tourney they went down quickly when they faced good mid-major teams.
**************
Also, I don't believe that any team seeded 12 or lower has ever made the Final Four.



Big 12 was similarly overrated. Seven Big 12 teams were in. While 6 made it through the first round, only Baylor made it to the sweet 16.
"Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things." - Isaac Newton
Vegasrider
Vegasrider
Joined: Dec 23, 2017
  • Threads: 64
  • Posts: 643
March 23rd, 2021 at 1:42:44 PM permalink
Some idiot wanted to bet 300k on a future bet on Ohio St just before tip off. I think he got 100k down. That bet didn't last very long. Nobody going to beat the team from Spokane. But as far as the Pac 12, whatever Bill Walton is smoking, I"ll take it as well.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
Joined: Jun 22, 2011
  • Threads: 97
  • Posts: 4632
March 23rd, 2021 at 2:57:33 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

Also, I don't believe that any team seeded 12 or lower has ever made the Final Four.


Correct. A few 11s have, but no 12-16s have. Keep in mind that the tournament didn't even have teams seeded 12 until 1980 (and didn't have 16-seeds until 1985).
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 1368
  • Posts: 22729
March 24th, 2021 at 6:28:52 AM permalink
Quote: unJon

I read the sum of the seeds in the sweet 16 is the largest ever in NCAA tournament history.



That is true.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.

  • Jump to: