9 members have voted

bobbartop
bobbartop
  • Threads: 133
Thanked by
heatmap
January 29th, 2020 at 7:19:01 PM permalink
This is a good read.

https://www.lasvegasadvisor.com/gambling-with-an-edge/nba-players-pay-tribute-to-kobe/
'Emergencies' have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have been eroded.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
January 30th, 2020 at 5:14:51 AM permalink
Quote: bobbartop

This is a good read.

https://www.lasvegasadvisor.com/gambling-with-an-edge/nba-players-pay-tribute-to-kobe/

Why would the lines not be a point or two lower? This was common knowledge, correct?
michael99000
michael99000
  • Threads: 9
January 30th, 2020 at 9:45:23 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Why would the lines not be a point or two lower? This was common knowledge, correct?

For the games that were played the afternoon and evening that he passed away, I don’t think the oddsmakers were yet aware that the teams would do this. Once it became apparent every team would participate, I do think they adjusted the lines
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
January 30th, 2020 at 4:19:00 PM permalink
Didn't at least one of those games reset the clock to 12:00 after the two 24-second violations?
bobbartop
bobbartop
January 30th, 2020 at 9:28:06 PM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

Didn't at least one of those games reset the clock to 12:00 after the two 24-second violations?

I dunno. You MUST know more than I do, and if you're saying this I figure it's probably true.

I want to know why this is not tantamount to fixing a game. I understand people are mourning and want to show respect for their friend's tragic death, but not EVERYONE is so honest.
'Emergencies' have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have been eroded.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
January 31st, 2020 at 7:26:00 AM permalink

I dunno. You MUST know more than I do, and if you're saying this I figure it's probably true.

I want to know why this is not tantamount to fixing a game. I understand people are mourning and want to show respect for their friend's tragic death, but not EVERYONE is so honest.

I think its not "tantamount to fixing a game" because of lack of intent. If you believe $40,000,000 a year Damian Lillard took a 24 second violation to affect the over/under you aren't being rational.

Lets say the expected number of points not scored versus what would be scored is 2. I am not even sure if 2 points on an over under line would be enough to overcome a vig. If so, the positive EV would be very small.

I think it is interesting..... but not a big deal at all.....
bobbartop
bobbartop
January 31st, 2020 at 8:23:22 AM permalink

I think its not "tantamount to fixing a game" because of lack of intent. If you believe $40,000,000 a year Damian Lillard took a 24 second violation to affect the over/under you aren't being rational.

Lets say the expected number of points not scored versus what would be scored is 2. I am not even sure if 2 points on an over under line would be enough to overcome a vig. If so, the positive EV would be very small.

I think it is interesting..... but not a big deal at all.....

But you don't know there's "lack of intent". Neither do I. I already conceded that they want to show respect for their fallen friend. I also said that everyone ain't so honest. What if certain "organized crime" figures got wind of it? What if certain figures originated the idea? It's 48 seconds of no scoring. And more than one game. Can't the over/under be bet on halves and quarters in some betting venues? There's a whole world of online betting. Not so insignificant.

As you said, it may not be a big deal. But I think it rational to believe that SOMEONE took advantage of it. Someone, somewhere.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
January 31st, 2020 at 8:42:40 AM permalink

But you don't know there's "lack of intent". Neither do I. I already conceded that they want to show respect for their fallen friend. I also said that everyone ain't so honest. What if certain "organized crime" figures got wind of it? What if certain figures originated the idea? It's 48 seconds of no scoring. And more than one game. Can't the over/under be bet on halves and quarters in some betting venues? There's a whole world of online betting. Not so insignificant.

As you said, it may not be a big deal. But I think it rational to believe that SOMEONE took advantage of it. Someone, somewhere.

It wasn’t 48 seconds. It was 32. (24 +8). I am not disputing that someone didn’t try to take advantage of it. I aver that there was nothing illegal in the players actions, nor was there anything illegal in someone using the information to make a bet.
What you should really care about is the hiding of injuries and use of ‘load management’ days that are not clear when lines are first put out.
bobbartop
bobbartop
January 31st, 2020 at 9:19:00 AM permalink

It wasn’t 48 seconds. It was 32. (24 +8).

Explain this to me, I don't play basketball.
bobbartop
bobbartop
January 31st, 2020 at 9:21:23 AM permalink

I aver that there was nothing illegal in the players actions, nor was there anything illegal in someone using the information to make a bet.

There could have been.
michael99000
michael99000
  • Threads: 9
Thanked by
bobbartop
January 31st, 2020 at 11:32:05 AM permalink

Explain this to me, I don't play basketball.

Team that won the jump ball would hold it for 24 seconds and not shoot, thus incurring a 24 second shot clock violation.

Other team gets then gets the ball, but doesn’t cross half court , thus incurring an 8 second violation , that’s how much time a team has to get it over half court

Kobe wore those two jersey numbers during his career. 24 and 8

The first game it was done in was Toronto vs San Antonio that afternoon. And after that, it was pretty well publicized that teams would be doing it all day , so the oddsmakers had ample time to adjust their numbers if they wanted. So the only game where a fix could’ve been in and bettors could take advantage because the oddsmakers were unaware was that Toronto San Antonio game. And in that game they totaled 58 points in the first quarter.

So if there was an Under fix in, the players did a bad job of fixing
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
January 31st, 2020 at 12:04:57 PM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

Link?

They shouldn't have. And if I was Adam Silver, I would be mad if they did.

And like others have said, it was only a 24-second and 8-second violation. This was a bit of an edge if lines weren't adjusted, but your standard wagers would only be marginally affected.
bobbartop
bobbartop
January 31st, 2020 at 1:33:16 PM permalink
Quote: michael99000

Team that won the jump ball would hold it for 24 seconds and not shoot, thus incurring a 24 second shot clock violation.

Other team gets then gets the ball, but doesn’t cross half court , thus incurring an 8 second violation , that’s how much time a team has to get it over half court

Kobe wore those two jersey numbers during his career. 24 and 8

The first game it was done in was Toronto vs San Antonio that afternoon. And after that, it was pretty well publicized that teams would be doing it all day , so the oddsmakers had ample time to adjust their numbers if they wanted. So the only game where a fix could’ve been in and bettors could take advantage because the oddsmakers were unaware was that Toronto San Antonio game. And in that game they totaled 58 points in the first quarter.

So if there was an Under fix in, the players did a bad job of fixing

Thank you!
  • Jump to: