aceofspades
aceofspades
Joined: Apr 4, 2012
  • Threads: 366
  • Posts: 6506
January 20th, 2020 at 11:14:05 AM permalink
Odds on the Super Bowl opened as follows:

Spread:
Chief -1.5
49's +1.5


Money line:
Chiefs -120
49's +100


Am I wrong in wondering why anyone would bet the 49's to win outright at +100 when they could make the same amount of money by betting $100 and getting +1.5 points?
TDVegas
TDVegas
Joined: Oct 30, 2018
  • Threads: 0
  • Posts: 332
Thanks for this post from:
onenickelmiracle
January 20th, 2020 at 11:26:22 AM permalink
Quote: aceofspades

Odds on the Super Bowl opened as follows:

Spread:
Chief -1.5
49's +1.5


Money line:
Chiefs -120
49's +100


Am I wrong in wondering why anyone would bet the 49's to win outright at +100 when they could make the same amount of money by betting $100 and getting +1.5 points?


$100 gets you $90 on spread.

$100 gets you $100 on money line.
aceofspades
aceofspades
Joined: Apr 4, 2012
  • Threads: 366
  • Posts: 6506
January 20th, 2020 at 11:32:27 AM permalink
Quote: TDVegas

$100 gets you $90 on spread.

$100 gets you $100 on money line.




Hmmm that is interesting - I assume you are calculating in the vig - but, doesn't the vig also apply to the money line as well?

I am not well-versed in sports betting so forgive my igorance
DRich
DRich
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
  • Threads: 69
  • Posts: 5752
Thanks for this post from:
aceofspades
January 20th, 2020 at 11:40:28 AM permalink
Quote: aceofspades

Hmmm that is interesting - I assume you are calculating in the vig - but, doesn't the vig also apply to the money line as well?

I am not well-versed in sports betting so forgive my igorance



The vig is already factored into the +100 moneyline bet. Bet $100 win $100.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
TDVegas
TDVegas
Joined: Oct 30, 2018
  • Threads: 0
  • Posts: 332
Thanks for this post from:
aceofspades
January 20th, 2020 at 11:47:57 AM permalink
Quote: aceofspades

Hmmm that is interesting - I assume you are calculating in the vig - but, doesn't the vig also apply to the money line as well?

I am not well-versed in sports betting so forgive my igorance


Yes. See above. Factored in.
charliepatrick
charliepatrick
Joined: Jun 17, 2011
  • Threads: 30
  • Posts: 1901
January 20th, 2020 at 1:16:08 PM permalink
https://www.oddschecker.com/american-football/nfl/super-bowl-liv/winner
https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/american-football/market/1.154528999
In the UK the exchange odds are about +/-112, and the best odds on bookies are:
KC 4/5 (-125)
SF 11/10 (+110) (shortening)
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 177
  • Posts: 10116
January 20th, 2020 at 7:06:06 PM permalink
How soon are the prop bets published?

For what itís worth, Iím interested in the more basic stuff: overtime, safety, scoreless quarter, etc. Nothing specific to a player or team.

Thanks.
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? 😁 Note that the same could be said for Religion. I.E. Religion is nothing more than organized superstition. 🤗
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
Joined: Nov 17, 2009
  • Threads: 236
  • Posts: 6763
January 21st, 2020 at 1:07:37 AM permalink
While the lawmakers have made the Chiefs the favorite, I have to think the 49ers will cover or win because of two key strengths:
Offense: San Francisco's rushing attack more than makes up for their mediocre quarterback. Like Green Bay, KC is soft against the run, and will be challenged to stop them.

Defense: The 49ers secondary is led by Richard Sherman, perhaps the toughest player to throw against in the NFL. With only the non-Sherman half of the field to work with, KC's main weapon will be Patrick Mahomes' mobility in the second half. He will scramble and score, but if the 49ers can limit him by keeping their offense on the field for time consuming ground and pound drives, they can keep it close, and I think even win the game. As much as I hate the 49ers, Defense wins championships.

I'm looking forward to an exciting, close contest. SF 27 - KC 24

What say you?
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
Joined: May 21, 2013
  • Threads: 99
  • Posts: 14162
January 21st, 2020 at 8:29:20 AM permalink
KC 35, SF 31 is what I say. But I'm willing to be quite wrong. I have no feel for SF on skills, so a guess is all I offer.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
aceofspades
aceofspades
Joined: Apr 4, 2012
  • Threads: 366
  • Posts: 6506
January 21st, 2020 at 12:01:01 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

While the lawmakers have made the Chiefs the favorite, I have to think the 49ers will cover or win because of two key strengths:
Offense: San Francisco's rushing attack more than makes up for their mediocre quarterback. Like Green Bay, KC is soft against the run, and will be challenged to stop them.

Defense: The 49ers secondary is led by Richard Sherman, perhaps the toughest player to throw against in the NFL. With only the non-Sherman half of the field to work with, KC's main weapon will be Patrick Mahomes' mobility in the second half. He will scramble and score, but if the 49ers can limit him by keeping their offense on the field for time consuming ground and pound drives, they can keep it close, and I think even win the game. As much as I hate the 49ers, Defense wins championships.

I'm looking forward to an exciting, close contest. SF 27 - KC 24

What say you?




While I also believe that the 49's will win, I am hesitant to claim that KC's rushing defense cannot stop Mostert when I just saw them basically shut down Henry (who is an MVP candidate)

  • Jump to: